Back to TJ after 30 years!

ChicagoBob

Haven't been to TJ since 1987, but planning a return trip in about 3 weeks. I've been mongering in Nevada since 1985 and started missing the action across the border.  After reading this board for a couple of weeks, I see things have really changed in the Zona.  I'm planning on staying for the weekend just before Christmas.  If any of you guys are out mongering, give me a shout!  I'll buy the first round! 

Edited by ChicagoBob
  • Like 11

Yes, there has been a ton of changes!!!

It will be a shock to you, especially when you see the border in San Ysidro--all different now!

Of course, the beer is still cold, the chicas are still hot, and the tacos are still tasty!

Enjoy!

And seek out answers to your questions!

VIVA MEXICO!

Edited by Don Pisto
  • Like 7

Thanks for the welcome and heads up!  I see there is a west gate now at SY.   A passport needed to enter too?   WTF?   I used to just walk through...  must be all those dangerous gringo mongers. 

I see that prices have changed, but are still affordable.  I used to pay $20 for a BG and $5 for the room.  Good times for sure.   Can't wait to see the other changes.  I had to renew my passport at the last minute and still waiting for my new one.  I didn't notice that it expired on December 19th.  I would have been stuck in Tijuana, haha!  

BTW, if anyone needs intel on Nevada, be sure to hit me up!  I'm more of a Northern Tier guy (Elko, Carson, Reno), but I've mongered all over the state.  

• Like 5

Prices are still low compared to anywhere else--however BG's start at $60.00 usd, and short time rooms upstairs are $17.00-$20.00 for 15-30 minutes!

Also, ficha (Ladies) drinks are $8.00-$9.00 usd.

BTW, there's a cover charge of $7.00 usd for Hong Kong--but they give you a free drink upon payment! (You can exchange the drink at the bar).

IMO, currently Hong Kong (HK) has the best quality of chicas!

Then Tropical Bar, followed by Adelitas and Chicago Club!

Unfortunately, All the Strip Clubs on Av. Revo. are gone except Club Zorro (at the Arch/Revo.) a down and dirty, tranny club with a couple spinners thrown in. And Amnesia Club (at Revo. and Calle 9). Overpriced, nearly vacant bar--don't even bother.

PM me if you need more information!

Good Hunting pal!

• Like 4
  • Agreed 2
1 hour ago, Don Pisto said:

BTW, there's a cover charge of $7.00 usd for Hong Kong--but they give you a free drink upon payment! (You can exchange the drink at the bar).

Thur., Fri., & Sat. Only,    Unless that has changed and I don’t know it, because I don’t frequently visit HK

4 hours ago, ChicagoBob said:

I see that prices have changed, but are still affordable.  I used to pay $20 for a BG 

You can still get an SG with no frills for about that 

Edited by smoothburnn
  • Like 4
15 minutes ago, smoothburnn said:

Thur., Fri., & Sat. Only,    Unless that has changed and I don’t know it, because I don’t frequently visit HK

You can still get an SG with no frills for about that 

Also, the cover charge is evenings/nights only.  Not sure exactly when they start it, but I don't think it is before 5:00 PM.  There is no cover charge during the day, just the frisking that sometimes gets a little too personal. :o

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Sargon said:

Also, the cover charge is evenings/nights only.  Not sure exactly when they start it, but I don't think it is before 5:00 PM.  There is no cover charge during the day, just the frisking that sometimes gets a little too personal. :o

I think it starts at 7pm, not sure what time in the early am they stop collecting it, but I believe they stop sometime during the wee hours of the morning , but I’m not sure , cause I’m not a Hong Kong guy 

• Like 4

Thanks for all the great tips!  I'm gonna play it safe this time and leave my car on the north side and walk across.  I'm kinda freaked out about parking prices.  Anybody ever leave their car at Holiday Lodge by Burger King?  I'm probably gonna spend 3 or 4 nights.   Did I also read that (unofficially) you can park at Iris Station for a couple of days without bring towed?   My old MO was to stay at the Motel 6 and do nightly crossings, but I'm getting a bit old for all that walking.  

I've read that there are a few select rooms in the Zona clubs where the noise isn't too bad.  Is Rizo better than Cas for sleeping?   I'll probably be rolling in on Friday night (like an idiot).  

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, ChicagoBob said:

Anybody ever leave their car at Holiday Lodge by Burger King?  I'm probably gonna spend 3 or 4 nights. 

I have parked overnight at the Holiday Lodge Motel with no issues for maybe a hundred times!

They always have someone on duty 24/7.

One time I went to Mazatlan for 4 days and parked my car there with no problems.

Right now they charge $9.99/24hrs for parking.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, ChicagoBob said:

the last minute and still waiting for my new one.  I didn't notice that it expired on December 19th.  I would have been stuck in Tijuana, haha!  

Its water under the bridge but you would have had no problem with an expired passport.  In fact, that is how I found out mine was expired.  Did you get the card along with your passport?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ChicagoBob said:

Is Rizo better than Cas for sleeping?   I'll probably be rolling in on Friday night (like an idiot).  

My experience no.  It's not as big and is loud and echoey inside.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Jefffffrey said:

Its water under the bridge but you would have had no problem with an expired passport.  In fact, that is how I found out mine was expired.  Did you get the card along with your passport?

I just got the new passport card this time ($35).  Although, my British monger friend wants me to take a trip to Pattaya with him next year.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Don Pisto said:

... Unfortunately, All the Strip Clubs on Av. Revo. are gone except Club Zorro (at the Arch/Revo.).

So what happened?  Was it the passport law or the local LE?   That used to be a happening area.  

• Like 1
12 hours ago, ChicagoBob said:

So what happened?  Was it the passport law or the local LE?   That used to be a happening area.  

9/11, the passport requirements, the making TJ off-limits to military personnel, the recession of 2008, many things combined to turn Revu into a rather spooky ghost town. It was "interesting" to walk down Revu at night, virtually no streetlights, huge dark areas, roaming cops looking for mordidas.

Thank God all the spring-breakers and teenagers from SD are long gone. Revu is now quite a happening place in its own right. Lots of bars, restaurants, microbreweries, and so forth. Many of those who bailed on TJ in 2008 have returned and made TJ a place they'd like to live, at least to some degree. Frankly, I don't think places like Bambi, or Beverly Hills, or the shithole that Caesar's used to be, are greatly missed. I don't get to Revu as much as I'd like, but I like the current iteration way better than what it was in '08.

• Like 5

Thanks for the background... that makes perfect sense.   I do remember the US military and the SD kids used to be the life blood of TJ after dark.  It's gonna be fun to explore Revo again - I can't wait to see all the changes.   It makes sense too that the puta action is (basically) all in one place now.   

Edited by ChicagoBob
  • Like 3
11 minutes ago, ChicagoBob said:

Thanks for the background... that makes perfect sense.   I do remember the US military and the SD kids used to be the life blood of TJ after dark.  It's gonna be fun to explore Revo again - I can't wait to see all the changes.   It makes sense too that the puta action is (basically) all in one place now.   

I'll be at Tropical Bar this Saturday after 7 pm--most likely upstairs in their "Tiki Room" with my new Fav. 

You are welcome to join us! Just PM me when you get there!

VIVA MEXICO!

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, elveterano said:

I hope the weather clears up for you guys !

A True Monger is like The Postal Delivery.  Not Rain, Sleet, nor Snow will stop a True Monger 

IMHO :cheers:

Edited by smoothburnn
  • Like 4
  • Agreed 2
  • Haha 1
11 minutes ago, smoothburnn said:

A True Monger is like The Postal Delivery.  Not Rain, Sleet, nor Snow will stop a True Monger 

One of the girls at BT sent me a foto at 4am. There was four of those ladies in the hall of Rizo de oro drinking hot chocolate. Wearing pajamas and all wrapped up in blankets. Business must be slow. Most 4am fotos come from the bar.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Don Pisto said:

I'll be at Tropical Bar this Saturday after 7 pm--most likely upstairs in their "Tiki Room" with my new Fav. 

You are welcome to join us! Just PM me when you get there!

VIVA MEXICO!

Thanks for the invite, but my new passport hasn't come yet and I had to surrender my old one.  I'm fucked into waiting.... 

• Sad 3
38 minutes ago, smoothburnn said:

That's right!  I always carry chains in Nevada...  I heard last night they had snow & ice on the hump to Pahrump! 

It got so cold in Elko last New Years Day my freakin' brakes froze and wouldn't work.  I almost took out the front door of the Stockmens Hotel. @@

• Haha 2
29 minutes ago, ChicagoBob said:

Thanks for the invite, but my new passport hasn't come yet and I had to surrender my old one.  I'm fucked into waiting.... 

FYI, if you drive into TJ from either San Ysidro or Otay, you will not be asked for your passport.  As of now, only pedestrians are asked to show a passport when entering Mexico. When you return driving north back to the US, you will not have a problem if you only have your drivers license and even better if you can show your receipt for fees paid for your pending passport renewal.  If you really want to show 'em what a conscientious citizen you are, also bring along a copy of your birth certificate.  You will sail through.  There are many gringos crossing daily without a passport if they drive.  I'm in the same situation as you.  My passport expired in July and I wasn't paying attention.  I'll be back in TJ in 2 weeks with a renewal receipt and I expect no problems.

I'm guessing that you could also park in San Ysidro and take one of the cheap buses that shuttle across into TJ without any passport issues, but I can't say for sure.  Perhaps someone who uses the buses can provide enlightenment.

• Like 2