Back to TJ after 30 years!

ChicagoBob

14 minutes ago, Erip said:

FYI, if you drive into TJ from either San Ysidro or Otay, you will not be asked for your passport.  As of now, only pedestrians are asked to show a passport when entering Mexico. When you return driving north back to the US, you will not have a problem if you only have your drivers license and even better if you can show your receipt for fees paid for your pending passport renewal.  If you really want to show 'em what a conscientious citizen you are, also bring along a copy of your birth certificate.  You will sail through.  

I was going to say all of this, but I figured with a name like “ChicagoBob”, with the emphasis on *Chicago*, I presumed he would not be driving in.

:dunno:

Edited by smoothburnn
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Erip said:

FYI, if you drive into TJ from either San Ysidro or Otay, you will not be asked for your passport.  As of now, only pedestrians are asked to show a passport when entering Mexico. When you return driving north back to the US, you will not have a problem if you only have your drivers license and even better if you can show your receipt for fees paid for your pending passport renewal.  If you really want to show 'em what a conscientious citizen you are, also bring along a copy of your birth certificate.  You will sail through.  There are many gringos crossing daily without a passport if they drive.  I'm in the same situation as you.  My passport expired in July and I wasn't paying attention.  I'll be back in TJ in 2 weeks with a renewal receipt and I expect no problems.

I'm guessing that you could also park in San Ysidro and take one of the cheap buses that shuttle across into TJ without any passport issues, but I can't say for sure.  Perhaps someone who uses the buses can provide enlightenment.

I'll remember that one... Thanks! 

I remember back in the day, that I just walked on through the turn style on the way in without talking to anyone. 

On the way back, they (sometimes) checked your drivers license.  Most of the time though they just looked at you and nodded.  

• Like 2
7 hours ago, ChicagoBob said:

Thanks for the background... that makes perfect sense.   I do remember the US military and the SD kids used to be the life blood of TJ after dark.  It's gonna be fun to explore Revo again - I can't wait to see all the changes.   It makes sense too that the puta action is (basically) all in one place now.   

Yes, places like the Iguana and Club Animal have gone the way of the dodo. One of the last hangers-on was Peanuts and Beer, which closed their doors (and was basically razed) earlier this year IIRC. I have not-so-fond memories of trying to sleep in Hotel Espana and not being able to due to all the kids hanging off the freaking balconies hootin' and hollerin' all night. 

If you visit Revu you'll really want to go on a Friday or Saturday. Calle Sexta is the happenin' spot, but much has overflowed into the surrounding area. No puta bars, but it's a lot of fun to see how the locals party. 

All the puta action isn't necessarily located in one place, just the gringo-centric stuff. Plenty of other hooker bars scattered all around TJ.

• Like 5

I see my compadre ChicagoBob made it over to Tijuana Talk. LOL  I mentioned to him awhile back that most of the TJAmigos mongers have migrated here and to check out this site when he was planning a return to TJ.  Unfortunately, I can't join him in TJ next month, due to the holiday commitments, but maybe sometime in the future I'll try and get back.  I also haven't been to TJ in quite awhile and like ChicagoBob have been mongering in Nevada, as well as on the "dark side". LOL

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

I see my compadre ChicagoBob made it over to Tijuana Talk. LOL  I mentioned to him awhile back that most of the TJAmigos mongers have migrated here and to check out this site when he was planning a return to TJ.  Unfortunately, I can't join him in TJ next month, due to the holiday commitments, but maybe sometime in the future I'll try and get back.  I also haven't been to TJ in quite awhile and like ChicagoBob have been mongering in Nevada, as well as on the "dark side". LOL

Hey Doc!  Fancy meeting you here.  These guys are great!  I feel like a member of the familia already.  They've got solid intel and great advice!  You should come back down sometime... 

• Like 3

I finally received my new passport today so I'm good for my TJ homecoming the weekend before Christmas!  

A couple of you guys have been PM'ing me for Nevada intel... I'm glad to help out!  

BTW, I thought that I would extend a Christmas invite to all of you.  If you're all alone, come on up to Reno for Christmas day at The Mustang Ranch.  There's a small group of us mongers that get together every year for Christmas dinner.  Chef Jeff puts on a huge spread!  The food is great, the ladies are hot, and the beer is cold!  We usually hang out until New Years - hitting Carson and Elko too!  Everyone is welcome.   Stay a day or stay the week!  

• Like 7
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a recap of my TJ homecoming visit...  I'm blown away with all the changes since I was last here in 1987.  I took a long stroll down Revo last night (after Alex flaked on me) and was checking out all the new stuff.  I walked clear down to Calle Miguel Hildago looking at all the changes.  

It made me feel really old seeing what used to be my old stomping ground.  Lots of new buildings and a yuppie flavor to everything.  Most all the places are now history - even my favorite dive bar has been replaced with a freakin' Carl's Jr. :dunno:

I don't care much for the new Arch, but I'm glad to see that Nelson's is still there.  I found that my old go-to dance club on the east side was still there too.   Lots of great memories of the second floor, dancing the night away with the local civvie girls.   Ahhh, to be 30 years old again!  

Anyway, I had a great homecoming visit and plan on returning again in the spring.  

Edited by ChicagoBob
  • Like 9
1 hour ago, ChicagoBob said:

Just a recap of my TJ homecoming visit...  I'm blown away with all the changes since I was last here in 1987.  I took a long stroll down Revo last night (after Alex flaked on me) and was checking out all the new stuff.  I walked clear down to Calle Miguel Hildago looking at all the changes.  

It made me feel really old seeing what used to be my old stomping ground.  Lots of new buildings and a yuppie flavor to everything.  Most all the places are now history - even my favorite dive bar has been replaced with a freakin' Carl's Jr. :dunno:

I don't care much for the new Arch, but I'm glad to see that Nelson's is still there.  I found that my old go-to dance club on the east side was still there too.   Lots of great memories of the second floor, dancing the night away with the local civvie girls.   Ahhh, to be 30 years old again!  

Anyway, I had a great homecoming visit and plan on returning again in the spring.  

Which dance club was still there?

I can never remember the name... its down around Calle Floris Macon on the east side of Revo.  El copio?   It's a big place with a bar on both levels.  The first floor is pretty open to the street and the second floor has a huge balcony. 

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, ChicagoBob said:

I can never remember the name... its down around Calle Floris Macon on the east side of Revo.  El copio?   It's a big place with a bar on both levels.  The first floor is pretty open to the street and the second floor has a huge balcony. 

Yes, that's where El Copeo is. It does have a large balcony, although I've never been up there. It's adjacent to where Porky's used to be. I really don't think it was El Copeo 30 years ago.  :D

Sigh. Apropos of nothing, I noted the other day that Porky's took over a couple of my favorite spots. Rouge 2020 was a nice little intimate concert venue. And Colibri was a nice dance club catering to all sorts of characters. :(

Theres a bunch of free street parking that starts from From Willow Rd and Camino De La Plaza and it goes up Willow Rd and theres street parking on the right side but if you go on the weekend it might be so full that you'll have to keep going up Willow Rd till it turns into Calle Primera and keep going until you find a spot. I just went this past Saturday and had to park all the way on Calle Primera right by the Happy Car Dealer and left it there for a couple days no problem and took a quick 5 mins Uber to the line. On the way back I walked to the car and it was about a 15 minute walk from the line.

Edited by skipoc84
  • Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

if/when you come back consider getting the HongKong VIP card (cost $50 valid for 3 months), you get room discounts (up to 80%), free drinks, free parking (or ride from/to the border)...it pays for itself every trip and you get to stay in the belly of the beast

safe travels...

• Like 2