Hero
Sign in to follow this  
Rob

Newbie looking for tips

Rob

Hey all, I'm about to start my adventure down south this week.  I've been there before, but it's been some years, anything I should watch out for?  Have any of the clubs changed?  Clubs to avoid?  Thanks!

Haus

You'll get useful tips if you post a series of trip reports while you're there. It's easier for people to share info with you about specific places, observations, or interactions. We'll get a better sense of what are your interests and then provide suggestions.

• Like 1

PhordPhan

Best to avoid TJ altogether. O.o:ph34r:

• Haha 2

Bubby

How long are you staying?

Driving in or walking?

Jefffffrey
6 hours ago, Rob said:

Hey all, I'm about to start my adventure down south this week.  I've been there before, but it's been some years, anything I should watch out for?  Have any of the clubs changed?  Clubs to avoid?  Thanks!

Use Uber

• Like 1
  • Agreed 1

Reuben

If it truly has been years since you were here last, here are my thoughts:

Chicago Club is a different animal from a years ago.  Now depending on how many years it's been since you were here, this can be read a few ways.  But if you were last here when it wasn't worth the effort to walk across the street to get to it, it has definitely changed. Completely remodeled (Adelita has been remodeled, too) and piles of chicas in there.  Go for at least a beer or two.

HK is considered the top spot for most mongers, especially if it's a rare trip to come to TJ.  Way more chicas than you can count on any day at any time.

I'm guessing you weren't too much of regular down here even years ago so I'll say this:

Stick with the bigger bars - Hong Kong, Chicago, Adelita, Tropical, Las Chavelas.  Smaller bars like Play Boy, Gold Palace, La Caretta tend to have meseros and chicas that can smell a newbie from the border and will often scam you in various ways.  Not that HK, CC, etc don't have a few scamming meseros and chicas but it's less of a hustle there as you are one of many, many customers rather than the one of four customers the entire night.

Regulars down here use pesos but unless you are comfortable doing exchange rates in your head and can quickly identify the various peso coins that get handed back to you in a dark club after you buy a ficha and a chica has her hands down your pants, pay with USD at the clubs and bars.  Worry about saving a few bucks when you develop a habit of being here all the time.

You will need a passport to get in to Mexico if you're walking across. Yes, IN to Mexico.  Years ago, as you may know, this was not the case.  It is now.

• Like 5

fotofreak

Like @Reuben says, CC is way different these days.  Probably not as good as the old days when it was really the spot but still a damn fine time.  I actually prefer it and when I brought a gang of new-to-TJ folks here a month or so ago, they all thoroughly enjoyed CC even after going to HK.

Unless it's mid-day, don't walk to Zona from the border and don't walk back to the border from Zona unless it's day time.

Feel free to say NO to anything you're offered - a subpar chica, a beer you didn't order, the lady with the stuffed animals, whatever.  I don't even bother with a no a lot of the time; I just wave my hand and shake my head and they move on quickly.

• Like 2

Haus
13 minutes ago, fotofreak said:

I just wave my hand and shake my head and they move on quickly.

#MeToo

JamesBrown.gif.84f637b31d9ff76fb2372456fef103d2.gif

• Haha 4

ElHefe

But in all seriousness some of the stuff that I do is just go with the flow. If I dont have anywhere specific to go, and the guy from Valentina invites me in, ill go in for a beer or two. You can meet some nice chicas that way. 

Also I never forget my manners when I am out there. Por Favor and gracias work great. I also once stood up when the chica came backbfrom the restroom to the table and she was impressed. Go looking your best and with a good attitude and youll have a good time. 

As far as going into the smaller clubs I tend to agree with what you have been told. I am by no means an expert, but im no rookie. My spanish helps me alot but I prefer to go to bigger clubs. Have spent alot of time in Chavelas Adelitas and Tropical and have recently started to appreciate Malquerida. I will go into Playboy or some of the Alley bars vut its rare and only if Im invited in.

As far as money goes I keep a financial journal on me. I never take all my money with me and I budget for each night. Every time you take out from your fund, wriye it down. Its very easy to lose track of money when you got a pair of titties in your face or thinking with Junior. 

Most importantly though. HAVE FUN!!!

itsatrap.jpg

• Like 5
  • Agreed 1

Rob
17 hours ago, Bubby said:

How long are you staying?

Driving in or walking?

Staying three days and walking in.

Reuben
23 hours ago, Rob said:

Staying three days and walking in.

Get $20 worth of pesos at the border. Get them to give you at least one 50p note for the taxi.  You didn't mention where you're staying but if it's at Cascadas or even at the Ticuan, the general rate from the border is 50p.  You'll pay $5 USD if you don't have pesos. 

When I do take a taxi from the border to Revo or Zona, I always tell them where I'm going and say "Cincuenta pesos."  You can also wait for the HK Zona Shuttle or the Adelita van but unless I see it right there, I don't bother with it.  Both are free but tip the driver a few bucks.

Rob
18 hours ago, Reuben said:

Get $20 worth of pesos at the border. Get them to give you at least one 50p note for the taxi.  You didn't mention where you're staying but if it's at Cascadas or even at the Ticuan, the general rate from the border is 50p.  You'll pay $5 USD if you don't have pesos. 

When I do take a taxi from the border to Revo or Zona, I always tell them where I'm going and say "Cincuenta pesos."  You can also wait for the HK Zona Shuttle or the Adelita van but unless I see it right there, I don't bother with it.  Both are free but tip the driver a few bucks.

I didn't know HK or Adelitas had transportation, are they near the taxi line?

Reuben
1 hour ago, Rob said:

I didn't know HK or Adelitas had transportation, are they near the taxi line?

Yes, both have it.  HK has about six cars/vans/limos that run back and forth from about 11am until 4am or so.  Adelita has a van that runs intermittently and even Chicago Club/Hotel Jalos has an SUV from time to time.

Most likely you'll find one of the HK cars/limos by the border.  They're all marked with the bar name on the sides of the car/van/limo.

Are you crossing at PedWest or East?  What time?  If you cross at PedWest (the new entrance to Mexico - read the Guides for info and @Haus did a nice photo walk thru of PedWest in the Gallery section) the HK shuttle is across the street.  You'll have to walk under the new bridge to get to it. @fotofreak wrote these instructions for it -
"From there, we exited the building and walked under the new bridge to the HK Garage.  So if you want to catch the HK limo from the PedWest border, you have to walk under the new bridge and go right and on the right-hand side you'll see the HK Garage.  If you pass the California Hostel on your left, you've gone too far."

ElHefe

I read this and checked my email afterwards. Got a nice email from Hong Kong.

mexpress.jpeg

free.jpeg

shuttle.jpeg

mail (1).jpeg

• Thanks 1

sampson

image.png.234ce78f04bb506af540a0ef8cfa73ee.png

That is an outstanding service if they would drop you at the border and you had no obligation to visit HK.

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this