Mexico Drops Mandatory Use Of Face Masks On Flights And At Airports

TJ Flyer

Very happy to see this change.... I'm flying from TJ to Tepic a week from Saturday, and I look forward not having to wear the ineffective ass-napkin on my face....

https://www.traveloffpath.com/mexico-drops-mandatory-use-of-face-masks-on-flights-and-at-airports/

Mexico Drops Mandatory Use Of Face Masks On Flights And At Airports

This post may have affiliate links, which means we may receive a small commission (at no extra cost to you!) if you choose to purchase through them. Here's our Disclosure & Privacy Policy for more info.

Share The Article

Last Updated 2 hours ago

In yet another move indicating the world is ready to allow Covid to fade into the past, a new measure introduced in Mexico has scrapped mandatory mask-wearing on flights and in airports. Now in sync with the United States, passengers flying to and from Mexico will no longer deal with mask-wearing uncertainty. As of October 12th, 2022, passengers transiting to, from, and within Mexico will no longer be required to wear masks during any part of their journey. An official statement released by the Mexican Federal Civil Aviation Agency confirms the end of the mask-wearing era in Mexico.

Clearing The Confusion

Travelers transiting from the U.S. to popular destinations such as Cancun or Los Cabos this year have probably been met with confusing guidelines regarding mask-wearing. The U.S. officially dropped its mask mandate on aircraft in April. However, Mexico has kept its mask policies in place, until now. For a country that largely remained open throughout the pandemic, the requirement felt out of place for many travelers. When boarding a plane in the U.S. to transit to Mexico, many travelers were unaware that they needed a mask.

Depending upon the airline, travelers may have had to wear masks while aboard or only needed them when landing. The latest move by Mexico to get rid of mask-wearing for airports and flights finally brings consistency to travelers. Until recently, Canadians flying to Mexico were well aware that they would need a mask for their journey. However, Canada recently scrapped its own mask-wearing policies. Now travelers from most anywhere in North America can fly between destinations without worrying about remembering their masks. Mexico’s decision marks an official end to mask-rule confusion.

Just In Time For A Record-Breaking Winter

Mexico’s most popular beach destinations have welcomed record-breaking numbers of tourists this year. As a result, Cancun recently solidified its status as Mexico’s number one destination. Estimates show that over 25 million travelers will head to Cancun this winter, ending 2022 with yet another record broken. If the prediction holds, Cancun will welcome 10% more visitors this year than it did in 2019.

Mexico reopened long before many other destinations but has held on to its mask policies in airplanes and airports. Scrapping masks will likely lead to an even more considerable increase in visitors, just in time for winter.

Cancun Isn’t The Only Mexican Destination Travelers Are Flocking To

While Cancun has long reigned supreme as the King of Tourism in Mexico, it isn’t the only destination seeing explosive growth. Travel Off Path recently reported that Los Cabos is challenging Cancun for the title of Mexico’s number-one vacation destination. While Cancun is undoubtedly a favorite, Los Cabos has been shaping up to be a highly-sought destination in its own right. Luxury all-inclusives dot the beautiful beaches of Los Cabos, which were recently voted the best in North America, so it’s no surprise the word has gotten out. Los Cabos is trending.

Expect A More Streamlined Arrival

Travelers are heading to Cancun and Playa Del Carmen in droves this winter, and the areas are likely to sell out. With such an overwhelming demand for the region, Cancun airport heavily invested in improving its infrastructure. The airport has immense numbers of immigration staff, and getting through customs can be cumbersome. However, the airport recently announced that they will open E-gates in Cancun airport for seamless entry into the country.

Rather than waiting in line to be interviewed by an immigration officer, travelers will soon be able to scan their passports at an automated self-service border checkpoint. As mask-wearing is now officially optional, many previously-hesitant travelers will start to look for winter accommodations. As a result, tourism numbers will climb even higher. Cancun Airport is sure to take notice and is undoubtedly working as fast as possible to implement the new technology.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Before the US dropped the mask requirement for US flights, it was interesting how flight crews varied in how aggressive they were on mask enforcement. In particular, the flight crews based in Seattle were generally complete Nazi's in my experience.... Of course, Washington State was the second to last State to reopen after Covid, and Seattle has gone to shit under years of Dem administration... Even in California, the mindset regarding Covid protocols, closures was very different from the SF Bay Area and LA compared to Orange County and other parts of the State....

• Like 1

I recently went to Peru on LATAM, and they required either the KN95 face mask, or you had to wear two of the regular masks while on the airplane.   Their security was the stricktest I have seen.  

Edited by Nicator
  • Sad 1

Unfortunately this issue has become so politicized.  I'm thrilled that mask requirements are being eliminated.  I don't worry about Covid, I've had it at least twice and I have lost my dread of it, now it is just part of life.  I don't want it, I understand having it really sucks, but I am not going to let it control my life.

That said, we are in a different spot than we were before.  Vaccines are very effective and I have had four jabs.  Lots of other exposures.  Most people are in the same boat, where if they get the virus they may get sick, it may be like a flu or even worse, but truly bad outcomes are unlikely.  It's still a risk, and bad stuff still happens unpredictably.  But it no longer rises to the level of where you would alter the way you lead your life.

Mask mandates are an effective way to reduce the spread of covid.  This has been pretty well established.  It is not perfect, it just has a mitigating effect, and for a while it was the only real weapon we had.  There was a time when I was thankful that everyone on the flight had to wear a mask because I knew it made people safer.  Alas, this became part of the ongoing political shit that permeates all American life this day and age, and like an English soccer fan wearing his colors we have had the American conservative acting out, because conservative politics is how he achieves his identity and talk radio tells him that masks are bad.  A pretty easy act of civic responsibility became, in the minds of some, an assault on freedom.  Sigh.  Let's just hope we aren't asked to make any real sacrifices like previous generations.  

About time Mexico recognizes the constitutional rights of not wearing masks for U.S. citizens.  :hunter:

Last I recall from a couple months ago, they still required covid tests to travel by air.  

25 minutes ago, c-diddy said:

About time Mexico recognizes the constitutional rights of not wearing masks for U.S. citizens.  :hunter:

Last I recall from a couple months ago, they still required covid tests to travel by air.  

I can't speak for flying internationally into Mexico, but covid tests are not required for domestic travel. 

1 minute ago, PhordPhan said:

I can't speak for flying internationally into Mexico, but covid tests are not required for domestic travel. 

Correct. Not required. In the past, some Mexican airports required a health questionnaire be completed prior to passing through security...

From the data and studies I have seen, masks are generally ineffective unless you are wearing a properly-fitted N95 mask 100% of the time. Lot of this bullshit with plexiglass shields, gel, social distancing (6', 3 meters were just arbitrary distances), etc. just Kabuki Theatre...

• Like 2

The masks have never done anything to stop the spread.  This has been proven through multiple studies.  It was always complete bullshit.  It was about control.

Back in June I flew from Spain to Germany and masks were still required, but they were pretty lax about enforcement.  Last month I went to Hungary and Romania from Málaga and back and masks were not required on any flight.

• Like 2

Just came back from Germany. I wish this was the case with them. Flying into Germany and out of Germany you need to wear a mask. Totally caught me off guard, I had no idea. 11 hour flight was not fun. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
38 minutes ago, shawnmj said:

I wear a mask not for health reasons but because I love being anonymous. COVID just gave me an excuse to be anonymous publicly

The mask is the new "I'm pretending to be busy with my cell phone so don't bother me please."

• Like 3
12 hours ago, shawnmj said:

I wear a mask not for health reasons but because I love being anonymous. COVID just gave me an excuse to be anonymous publicly

Here you go....  Built-in bug screen....

WhatsApp_Image_2022-05-11_at_12.19.56_PM2022051106514320220518081007202205190_e7YDb45.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • Yum 1
1 hour ago, TJ Flyer said:

Here you go....  Built-in bug screen....

WhatsApp_Image_2022-05-11_at_12.19.56_PM2022051106514320220518081007202205190_e7YDb45.jpeg

That first one in white is a serious babe!! Hawt! I'd give up all of my goats for her!!

• Haha 2
11 minutes ago, PhordPhan said:

That first one in white is a serious babe!! Hawt! I'd give up all of my goats for her!!

Sorry bro. That's a dude.... in the process of transitioning to chick....

• Haha 3
On 10/13/2022 at 12:29 PM, Sargon said:

The masks have never done anything to stop the spread.  This has been proven through multiple studies.  It was always complete bullshit.  It was about control.

Back in June I flew from Spain to Germany and masks were still required, but they were pretty lax about enforcement.  Last month I went to Hungary and Romania from Málaga and back and masks were not required on any flight.

Doesnt stop the spread but definitely mitigates the spread. So doctors wear masks for no reason?

One thing that should not change is that everyone shoukd wear a mask if you have to be in public while you are sick, whether flu or cold or covid.  Anyone who refuses to do so is just being an asshole.  Nobody like being sick so why spread it on purpose.  

Also kids should stay home when sick and mask in public if they are sick.  I was on flights throughout Mexico and all kids had their masks pulled down, coughing without covering their mouths and wiping their nose on hands and then touching everything .  Parents didnt give a shit.  

Edited by Blazers
  • Agreed 1

Stay in the bunker.... 

I feel sorry for people that feel it's necessary to wear a mask outside despite being many yards away from anyone.... but to each their own....

I long for the days when you would see used condoms and baby diapers in parking lots. Now it's face masks and surgical gloves.

No doubt the  pandemic and the way it was "handled" mindfucked a lot of people...

• Like 2
6 hours ago, TJ Flyer said:

Stay in the bunker.... 

I feel sorry for people that feel it's necessary to wear a mask outside despite being many yards away from anyone.... but to each their own....

I long for the days when you would see used condoms and baby diapers in parking lots. Now it's face masks and surgical gloves.

No doubt the  pandemic and the way it was "handled" mindfucked a lot of people...

People wearing masks in public places or on planes because they are sick(when they should be at home) isnt in the same universe as wearing masks outside for no reason.