Jump to content

Rental Car


Jackbobson

Recommended Posts

Just wondering if anyone ever rents a car and drives across?  Seems like this might minimize that amount of walking that needs to be done at the border.   I also like the flexibility of driving down to Rosario or Puerto Nuevo.  Recommendations are welcome.

Link to comment

I don’t think that there are many U.S. car rental services that allow their vehicles  to be taken into Mexico, but there are a couple, or at least there use to be.  Regarding the ones that don’t allow their vehicles to leave the country, you can AlWaYs take your chances, and hope nothing happens.   I’m sure a few others can give you a much better response.

ps - if you own your own vehicle, you can always just purchase Mexican auto insurance before you cross the border,  & drive your own car across. If you’re comfortable with that

Edited by smoothburnn
  • Like 2
Link to comment

They have U.S. rental companies like Hertz, Enterprise, and more around the Tijuana airport.  Never tried it, but looked into it for the rough terrain of the Valle de Guadalupe.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment

They also have some of those U.S. companies in Zona Rio. With full insurance, you can rent a car for about $100 a day or under. It's a lot less without the insurance, but the insurance is a necessary expense imo. I've rented a car a few times and driven it down to Ensenada.

I've had really good experiences renting from National in Zona Rio.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 9/4/2022 at 7:58 AM, smoothburnn said:

I don’t think that there are many U.S. car rental services that allow their vehicles  to be taken into Mexico, but there are a couple, or at least there use to be.  Regarding the ones that don’t allow their vehicles to leave the country, you can AlWaYs take your chances, and hope nothing happens.   I’m sure a few others can give you a much better response.

ps - if you own your own vehicle, you can always just purchase Mexican auto insurance before you cross the border,  & drive your own car across. If you’re comfortable with that

There are a few that do, but you're required to buy Mexican insurance which makes the rental not worth it. Some of the companies do have GPS enables on the cars and will know if you drive into Mexico. Some of these companies will ban you if you drive into Mexico without buying Mexican isurance.

Best thing to do is to rent from an American Rental Agency in TJ. I've use Avis and Enterprise and the rates are always less than what I would pay in San Diego even before the insurance rider.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I always rent from SD Airport. Usually about 40 a day. Then buy my Mexican insurance in San Ysidro for about 25 a day. It's cheaper than the airport. I once tried renting from tj Airport, lured by cheaper prices. American rental agency. But they required full coverage and it ended up coming out to about 80 a day. I usually only stay for 3 or 4 days, and uber is 40 each way , so it's worth it to me to pay a little extra for the flexibility to have my own ride.

Link to comment

Mexican car rental is a total ripoff. Everybody participates in the scam. Here's a $20/day car! But wait. The liability is only X pesos, the national mandatory amount. BUT that's never enough, so you'll want to buy more. Oh, and BTW, if the car is damaged you'll be held in a dirty jail, and you'll never see the light of day until you can pay a million US dollars to fix the car, and we'll take your firstborn, and you really don't want to go through THAT hassle, do you? No? OK, that's another bundle of money per day. Oh, and your car may break down in the middle of the desert and you'll be kidnapped by bandidos. You'll want roadside assistance, right? And you have to have tire inflation insurance in case you get a flat because you'll be responsible for damage to the tire, AND to the road. And on, and on, and on. Soon the $20/day car is more like $100/day. Fuck these criminals.

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 9/16/2022 at 6:34 PM, Danjul1919 said:

I always rent from SD Airport. Usually about 40 a day. Then buy my Mexican insurance in San Ysidro for about 25 a day. It's cheaper than the airport. I once tried renting from tj Airport, lured by cheaper prices. American rental agency. But they required full coverage and it ended up coming out to about 80 a day. I usually only stay for 3 or 4 days, and uber is 40 each way , so it's worth it to me to pay a little extra for the flexibility to have my own ride.

Do the rental agencies know that you plan to take the car into Mexico?  The main reason I’m thinking about this is I’m concerned about my ability to walk through the border.  I’m retired so I’m real flexible about the days and times that I would cross.  I’ve even thought about driving my own car down there after buying some Mexican insurance.  I’d like to stay at hotel with secure parking.  Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Jackbobson said:

Do the rental agencies know that you plan to take the car into Mexico?  The main reason I’m thinking about this is I’m concerned about my ability to walk through the border.  I’m retired so I’m real flexible about the days and times that I would cross.  I’ve even thought about driving my own car down there after buying some Mexican insurance.  I’d like to stay at hotel with secure parking.  Thanks to everyone for the comments.

A few rental companies will. Many will not. You have to check the fine print in the contract. Taking one's own car might be a bit easier.

BUT... you must be prepared for potential king-sized wait times crossing back into the USA. It could be as little as an hour, it could be as much as five. It's usually somewhere between the two. The later you can cross the better. Sunday afternoons... fugeddaboudit.

All decent hotels have secure parking. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
16 hours ago, Jackbobson said:

Do the rental agencies know that you plan to take the car into Mexico?  The main reason I’m thinking about this is I’m concerned about my ability to walk through the border.  I’m retired so I’m real flexible about the days and times that I would cross.  I’ve even thought about driving my own car down there after buying some Mexican insurance.  I’d like to stay at hotel with secure parking.  Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Also, it depends how often you plan to drive to TJ and how close to the border you live.

Once a year? Get a rental at the border or SD Airport.

Several times a year? Take your own car, get an annual Mexico insurance, buy 6 months FMM permit, but at first get at least a Passport Card, and then ideally a Global Entry.

  • Agreed 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, CADragon said:

Also, it depends how often you plan to drive to TJ and how close to the border you live.

Once a year? Get a rental at the border or SD Airport.

Several times a year? Take your own car, get an annual Mexico insurance, buy 6 months FMM permit, but at first get at least a Passport Card, and then ideally a Global Entry.

I think part of the process is how long will one be there and are they free to cross back when convenient.  Me, I've parked at the Palm Avenue trolley station and a $1.25 to the border and walk across.

Living in SD of course helps and being retired is huge as mid week I can pick and choose when to cross, usually after 9:00 PM  little to sometimes no line at all, so easy.

But renting a car and paying for insurance for the gentlemen not so close that fly in?  Heck, take the bus then trolley down especially if they have the Uber and Didi apps on their phones.  I'm simply saying why mess with such expenses.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, soulcal said:

I think part of the process is how long will one be there and are they free to cross back when convenient.  Me, I've parked at the Palm Avenue trolley station and a $1.25 to the border and walk across.

Living in SD of course helps and being retired is huge as mid week I can pick and choose when to cross, usually after 9:00 PM  little to sometimes no line at all, so easy.

But renting a car and paying for insurance for the gentlemen not so close that fly in?  Heck, take the bus then trolley down especially if they have the Uber and Didi apps on their phones.  I'm simply saying why mess with such expenses.

It sounded to me the OP really does not want to walk over the border. Bad knees perhaps?

Also, he wants to be able to drive to Rosarito and Puerto Nuevo.

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

I usually don't get to SD Airport until about 9pm, so it's just easier to grab a rental, and driving into tj is hassle free. And if I have to wait to re enter u.s. I would prefer the comfort of a car. Most rental companies do allow mexico entry. But read the rules. I usually use enterprise or budget or Alamo. They will tell you that you have to buy your insurance through them, but that's not true. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
×
×
  • Create New...