Hero
Sign in to follow this  
sampson

Amigos de Santa

sampson

Many of you have been involved with this project over the last few years and even though it is July it is time to start thinking about this. Personally I like to throw a few dollars at this project over several months.  Probably my biggest contribution is the Carmello Candy Canes that I get each year at Costco.  Last year the price went down to like $159 pesos for a box of 12 and I over purchased but we used them all. 

Anyway some of the folks have been finding like a close out on Teddy Bears or some doll and buying in volume which is great and very much appreciated.

Anyone who wants to donate (big or small) can contact Fotofreak for a pay pal e-mail address. 

One think I am offering this year is football news letters each week for the price of $50 that you can send to Fotofreak and in turn I will e-mail these to you each week.  The retail value of these newsletters is around $70 per week and well over $1000 for the year. 

It seems like every year a few folks go with us on the 24th to visit the Zona and see the kids, and please believe you are welcome to participate even if you have never met any of us. It is a hard night to not be in a good mood and although I am beat at the end of the night, I sleep well knowing I contributed in a positive way to a neighborhood we all enjoy visiting.

cany canes.jpg

• Like 9

sampson

Some folks have mentioned this recently.  If you want to donate money or something for the kids contact Foto Freak and she can provide a pay pal address or physical address or work something out with you.  Believe December 20th will be the day we put the stockings together and of course the 24th is when we will be hitting the streets.   All donations are welcome big and small.  Our target number is to reach 300 kids again this year.

On another note, looks like we are going to have a Halloween project next year as well, and hope it can be an annual event as well.  In all likelihood it will not take much money as we will just set up a booth on Revolucion and give out candy.  Probably $500 or even less will be enough to fund that project.  Not too much to say about this now but just planting the seed. 

• Like 8

fotofreak

Last year was incredible thanks to all the donations and help from y'all.  We stuffed 300 stockings to the brim and the "sleigh" was packed to the roof with full-size soccer balls, Barbie dolls, Legos, Hot Wheels, and more to hand out to all the niños.

Hit me up if you want to donate..... 

• Like 6

fotofreak

The donations have started! :2247:  

PayPal has a new link thing to send if you want to send to Amigos de Santa via PP - paypal.me/tijuanagringa or you can go old school and PM me to get my email to send or arrange for an in-person meet up.... 

• Like 5

fotofreak

:penguin03:

Woot! Thanks @Peewee and @Reuben!  

I also had lunch with JiminCalif yesterday who slid me a nice cash donation for Amigos de Santa.... ordering soccer balls today for the niños!  :smiley_says_hello:

• Like 2

ElHefe

Guys if you are sending money through Paypal, make sure you send it friends and family. 

• Like 2

Haus

Nevada Kid wants to know if he actually has to donate in order to get a Thank You shout out.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

soulcal
40 minutes ago, Haus said:

Nevada Kid wants to know if he actually has to donate in order to get a Thank You shout out.

"No money no honey!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

sampson
6 minutes ago, soulcal said:

"No money no honey!"

No pesos no besos

• Like 1
  • Agreed 1
  • Haha 3

fotofreak

The first order of Barbies just came in; I'm ordering some soccer balls tomorrow!  

• Like 5

fotofreak

Woot!  Thanks @Bubby for the donation!!! :2247:

• Like 3

fotofreak

We're still taking donations!  Hit me up!! :cool_smiley:

• Like 1

sampson

And if anyone wants to go with us on the 24th you are welcome or to help put our offerings together you are welcome to do so.  We should be doing that on Thursday the 20th at Ticuan.

• Like 2

fotofreak

Hey, hey!  Thanks @GuntherMT!!! :cheers:

• Like 3

sampson

Just a reminder that you can donate small if you want as it all adds up.  Thanks to everyone that has already donated.

• Agreed 1

sampson

I have been buying a little here and a little there, but I bought the final of 13 boxes of the Candy canes pictured above today..  I had reported that they were in boxes of 12 but there are actually 24 to a box.  So each stocking will get a Caramelo Cane.  I hope some of you can join us on the 20th or the 24th or both.  Feel free to pm me of Fotofreak if you can help on either day. I promise it is a lot of fun and it truly is rewarding. I get so much out of interacting with those kids and they help to keep me going.

• Like 3

fotofreak

The giant box of stockings arrived yesterday!  Now I just have to smuggle it across the border...... :ph34r:

Also, we are still happily accepting donations...... :money:

• Like 1

sampson

Has anyone volunteered to buy the hot chocolate packets this year?  We need 300. :)

GuntherMT

Really sorry I am missing all if this good stuff this year.  Thanks for continuing the good work. Just pretend I got two dates to show up and help in spirit.  Jajaja.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

fotofreak

Gracias to @BangoSkank for the $$$!! 

Photos of some of the goodies coming soon..... 

sampson

For anyone interested I have got the room (salon) at Ticuan for Thursday the 20th at 5pm.  We will be there maybe from 5pm to 8pm.  Thanks for all that sent donations and I have one to pick up this weekend from a member of the board that lives in TJ.

• Like 1

fotofreak

Gracias to my Amigo @Sargon for the $$$!!

I've started the process of smuggling over the goodies.  Yesterday, I hauled over the 350 empty stockings that we'll be stuffing on the 20th.....   

IMG_20181212_180941.thumb.jpg.5e2fb8de2dddafdaef762746781afb6e.jpg

And yes, we're still taking donations! ;) 

• Like 2

fotofreak

So last year, I hunted far and wide for good teddy bears for the littlest niños.  I finally found some and bought them all up.  @Melcher Dingle and his son were Gringo Claus's elves last year and remembered how difficult it had been for me to find these bears.  Well, it turns out they went on sale the day after Christmas last year so MD and his family went to every store that sold them within a 50-mile radius and bought all of them!  They stored them all year long and yesterday, I met him in San Ysidro to pick up the stash.

HOLY COW!  We gotta lotta bears! :2247:

Soccer balls were finally shipped out yesterday, too!

• Like 4

fotofreak

Woot! Thanks @Bill2455 and @Haus!!! :cheers:

Smuggled over 75 soccer balls yesterday.... here's a shot of a few of them.... and yes, each ball comes with a hand pump. :) 

IMG_20181215_125109.thumb.jpg.cf13042ddb3ea4b1877dcbed1e362102.jpg

• Like 5

Bill2455

Thanks to all the members who are doing all the work.  Donations are easy.  

• Like 1
  • Agreed 1

Sign in to follow this