Jump to content

Weekend trip from Canada - worthwhile?


flagrunner

Recommended Posts

Hi all

There are some cheap flights for this wekend and I'm thinking of making the trip from Canada.

I would arrive in San Diego at around 6pm on Friday

Return trip from San Diego would be at 4pm on Sunday

Any estimates as to how long it would take to get from SAN to Zona Norte on Friday and when I should aim to get to the border to cross back on Sunday? I just want to see if there would be enough time in TJ to make the trip worthwhile. If I got a few hours on friday night, all of saturday and a little of Sunday morning, that would work. But perhaps Id need to cross back early Sunday morning to be safe?

Given that Im not a US citizen, I also need to get a COVID test both ways i think. Fun! 

Thanks

  • Like 2
Link to comment
29 minutes ago, flagrunner said:

Hi all

There are some cheap flights for this wekend and I'm thinking of making the trip from Canada.

I would arrive in San Diego at around 6pm on Friday

Return trip from San Diego would be at 4pm on Sunday

Any estimates as to how long it would take to get from SAN to Zona Norte on Friday and when I should aim to get to the border to cross back on Sunday? I just want to see if there would be enough time in TJ to make the trip worthwhile. If I got a few hours on friday night, all of saturday and a little of Sunday morning, that would work. But perhaps Id need to cross back early Sunday morning to be safe?

Given that Im not a US citizen, I also need to get a COVID test both ways i think. Fun! 

Thanks

Is it much more expensive to fly direct to TJ? The TJ airport is a $10-$15 uber ride to Zone Norte.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
36 minutes ago, flagrunner said:

Hi all

There are some cheap flights for this wekend and I'm thinking of making the trip from Canada.

I would arrive in San Diego at around 6pm on Friday

Return trip from San Diego would be at 4pm on Sunday

Any estimates as to how long it would take to get from SAN to Zona Norte on Friday and when I should aim to get to the border to cross back on Sunday? I just want to see if there would be enough time in TJ to make the trip worthwhile. If I got a few hours on friday night, all of saturday and a little of Sunday morning, that would work. But perhaps Id need to cross back early Sunday morning to be safe?

Given that Im not a US citizen, I also need to get a COVID test both ways i think. Fun! 

Thanks

Assuming you are flying in from Vancouver or Calgary? The border and TJ is less than 30 minutes from the San Diego Airport (outside of commute hours). Easy Uber or taxi ride. Or, if you want to go cheap, take the San Diego Trolley (that will take the better part of an hour).

I am curious to how know how cheap those flights are..... air fares are sky high - Delta Airlines said they are expecting another 30% fare increase this summer....

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Posted (edited)

Thanks. The round trip is $220 Canadian (actually thats the Friday to Monday price but I have a united flight credit to use to take the Sunday cost down to that also)  Versus c$1200 Canadian direct to TJ.

Any thoughts on when I should aim to get back to the border to get back to SAN given expected border crossing times? I assume I can't just turn up at 10am on Sunday and expect to get straight through. Would I need to aim for something like 6am or 7am Sunday morning to be safe?

Edited by flagrunner
Link to comment
51 minutes ago, flagrunner said:

Thanks. The round trip is $220 Canadian (actually thats the Friday to Monday price but I have a united flight credit to use to take the Sunday cost down to that also)  Versus c$1200 Canadian direct to TJ.

Any thoughts on when I should aim to get back to the border to get back to SAN given expected border crossing times? I assume I can't just turn up at 10am on Sunday and expect to get straight through. Would I need to aim for something like 6am or 7am Sunday morning to be safe?

An unofficial Nexus website for helping people apply says you can use it to pedestrian cross from Mexico into US the same as sentri or global entry card. Officially the cbp website does not mention this, but given the cards look exactly alike minus the word NEXUS/SENTRI/GLOBAL ENTRY at the top, you could probably get by using this card to at least bypass the initially long line all the way up to the building, and then just use the regular line once you’re in the building. Doesn’t hurt to try, if the guards at the gate say something and don’t let you skip the line, just say you didn’t know your nexus card didn’t let you. On a Sunday, skipping the initial line all the way up to the building will save an hour minimum

FRIDAY NIGHT - 6pm Uber to border from airport will take you 30-40 minutes 

SUNDAY MORNING - leave for the border around 10am … you shouldn’t wait longer than 3 hours in any worst case scenario which gets you to the airport by 2:30 (once you cross, Uber to airport on Sunday will be 25-30 minutes)

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, shawnmj said:

An unofficial Nexus website for helping people apply says you can use it to pedestrian cross from Mexico into US the same as sentri or global entry card. Officially the cbp website does not mention this, but given the cards look exactly alike minus the word NEXUS/SENTRI/GLOBAL ENTRY at the top, you could probably get by using this card to at least bypass the initially long line all the way up to the building, and then just use the regular line once you’re in the building. Doesn’t hurt to try, if the guards at the gate say something and don’t let you skip the line, just say you didn’t know your nexus card didn’t let you. On a Sunday, skipping the initial line all the way up to the building will save an hour minimum

FRIDAY NIGHT - 6pm Uber to border from airport will take you 30-40 minutes 

SUNDAY MORNING - leave for the border around 10am … you shouldn’t wait longer than 3 hours in any worst case scenario which gets you to the airport by 2:30 (once you cross, Uber to airport on Sunday will be 25-30 minutes)

This is awesome information, thanks. Sounds like I can probably be in HK by around 9pm latest on Friday. Also sounds like I just need to write off Sunday morning for travel, but I can have a late Saturday evening and sleep on the plane/in the airport when I inevitably get across the border 4 or 5 hours earlier than needed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, flagrunner said:

Thanks. The round trip is $220 Canadian (actually thats the Friday to Monday price but I have a united flight credit to use to take the Sunday cost down to that also)  Versus c$1200 Canadian direct to TJ.

Any thoughts on when I should aim to get back to the border to get back to SAN given expected border crossing times? I assume I can't just turn up at 10am on Sunday and expect to get straight through. Would I need to aim for something like 6am or 7am Sunday morning to be safe?

Actually, I think walking across the border at PedEast before 10 am on a Sunday should be fast.... then get up to Downtown San Diego, go someplace for a nice lunch, and then get to the Airport - I think 3 hours before your flight.

I assume you know what's needed to return to the People's Republic of Canada....

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid

How do you like life under Castro's son, Trudeau? I think he's a bit of a prick and I'm not a fan of his government's overreach during Covid...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, TJ Flyer said:

Actually, I think walking across the border at PedEast before 10 am on a Sunday should be fast.... then get up to Downtown San Diego, go someplace for a nice lunch, and then get to the Airport - I think 3 hours before your flight.

I assume you know what's needed to return to the People's Republic of Canada....

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid

How do you like life under Castro's son, Trudeau? I think he's a bit of a prick and I'm not a fan of his government's overreach during Covid...

Thanks TJ Flyer

Is Ped East close enough to walk there in the morning and, if it's quiet, walk back and wile away a couple of hours in HK? That would probably be my plan if it is possible. That way if it is busy, I don't have to take chances and can just cross. 

I've only been in Canada for a couple of years. I haven't been bothered with COVID restrictions. But then again, I think I stand out in Alberta in that regard!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, flagrunner said:

Thanks TJ Flyer

Is Ped East close enough to walk there in the morning and, if it's quiet, walk back and wile away a couple of hours in HK? That would probably be my plan if it is possible. That way if it is busy, I don't have to take chances and can just cross. 

I've only been in Canada for a couple of years. I haven't been bothered with COVID restrictions. But then again, I think I stand out in Alberta in that regard!

You’ll take a $5 taxi to get to the border from HK

  • Like 2
Link to comment

On a Sunday it is nice to take the trolley to America Plaza (used to be the last stop but I think there are more now) and just walk to the airport around the harbor in a little less than an hour. Nice walk and you can think about the time you had in TJ and more importantly plan your next trip.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Jefffffrey said:

On a Sunday it is nice to take the trolley to America Plaza (used to be the last stop but I think there are more now) and just walk to the airport around the harbor in a little less than an hour. Nice walk and you can think about the time you had in TJ and more importantly plan your next trip.

Good suggestion.... take the trolley to America Plaza and you right downtown. Walk 1-2 blocks to Harbor Drive and have a nice brunch, lunch overlooking San Diego Bay....

  • Like 3
Link to comment

The 992 bus runs every 15 minutes from America Plaza to/from the airport, even on Sundays.   The trolley+bus trip is super easy, something to consider if those HK cuties bleed you dry by Sunday.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 6/7/2022 at 4:20 PM, shawnmj said:

You’ll take a $5 taxi to get to the border from HK

Agree!  No reason to be walking alone to the border over a measly $5.  Corrupt cops or worse could very likely be on your ass in know time and yes, it happens every fucking day.

As to your earlier question as to what time to return Sunday morning I've done it twice in the past month and aroud 06:00 seems to be the sweet spot.  Sure, you'll have plenty of time but do a walk about on San Diego Bay/Harbor and you won't be displeased.  Have an early lunch in many delightful harborside cafes/restaurants.  Google is your friend here to find what you enjoy.

Who knows when you will have the time to return so sight see a bit, enjoy the scenery as well as the food, and fuck it!  You can and will rest well upon arriving home.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I would suggest to add a day just so the experience is not rushed.  Just call in sick if you have to.  I used to do bombing runs and when I was young and fit would fly down for just two nights, once even just one night.   It'd always worth going the extra day.

  • Like 1
  • Agreed 1
Link to comment
×
×
  • Create New...