Lost my Passport…will I be able to cross tomorrow with my DL and $20?

Going to TJ tomorrow and I’ve spent the last 3-4 hours looking for my passport…couldn’t find it. Time to apply for a new one.

Anyways, will I be able to cross tomorrow morning with my driver’s license and the $20 bribe? I heard that they give you some kind of “day pass” card that you take with you…is that right? 

Also, how long does it take to fill out that FMM form?

Thanks! 

It will take as long as it takes to get a passport.   You can try the $20 thing as some have had luck with that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
2 hours ago, sampson said:

It will take as long as it takes to get a passport.   You can try the $20 thing as some have had luck with that.

Once can get a passport in 2 days in San Diego and 1 day if willing to drive to Los Angeles. Now I haven't checked but pre-Covid it was a piece of cake.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Bez said:

Going to TJ tomorrow and I’ve spent the last 3-4 hours looking for my passport…couldn’t find it. Time to apply for a new one.

Anyways, will I be able to cross tomorrow morning with my driver’s license and the $20 bribe? I heard that they give you some kind of “day pass” card that you take with you…is that right? 

Thanks!

They just have you step into a office right there and dude will ask if you want a day pass and when you say ok he'll ask for 20 bucks and you're on your way. They don't give you anything to take. Crossing into the states they don't care. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Bez said:

Thanks! 

Yes, you can enter TJ on foot without a passport but will cost you $20-40 (just be prepared that someone working will want a little extra for you not having a passport but don’t offer any extra - just give whatever price they quote you).

You get the card depending on what you’re paying for. You likely will not get a card because you don’t have a passport to input your information onto the card. You’ll pay them (in this case it really is a bribe) to let you enter, and they send you on your way.

In the event you do fill out a form, Filling out the FMM form takes less than 2 minutes. 

• Like 2
On 5/6/2022 at 6:44 PM, Okin760 said:

They just have you step into a office right there and dude will ask if you want a day pass and when you say ok he'll ask for 20 bucks and you're on your way. They don't give you anything to take. Crossing into the states they don't care. 

Wait. You're saying you don't need your passport to get back into the US??

4 minutes ago, snowguy898 said:

I have been in line twice with people who lost their passports (or didn't have one to begin with). Drivers license is enough assuming you are a US citizen, or so I have been told. If you have a passport and just lost it, I'm pretty sure they can bring it up on their computer.

• Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, snowguy898 said:

Not really as long as your a U.S. citizen, they'll let you back with just a license or i.d. or even nothing if you dare to go that route lol my passport is expired and one CBP told me it's still better to use the expired passport over my D.L. 

• Like 2

I have crossed maybe a handful of times without any identification at all into the United States.  I think it would be very difficult for the officials to deport an American citizen to Mexico.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, sampson said:

I have crossed maybe a handful of times without any identification at all into the United States.  I think it would be very difficult for the officials to deport an American citizen to Mexico.

:facepalm:  Amigo, no disrespect intended as it's  simply the law as you very well know.  Care to elaborate?  Secondary?  Almost certainly. 

Happened to me once on Calle Primera and yes, I knew better.  I simply wanted a taco or two from Theresa's cart and I paid for it by being choked out.  They did not get much other than an anniversary watch that I loved for time well spent. 

Explained my story, was sent to secondary where I placed my thumb on a reader. It was only a matter of seconds when they said "Welcome home soulcal."  Nothing to it whatsoever.

• Like 2

I just changed pants and had nothing a few times.   I just tell them my name and I believe they asked for my Social and they punch me up in their computer.   Never secondary and never more than 2 minutes.

• Like 4