Different dial tone in mexico

bangbang10000

So I've been on this website since the start of the pandemic and the only reason I have not yet gone is because of the dial tone one hears when calling me in mexico. I went to TJ a couple years ago and a friend called me and knew exactly where I was at because if the dial tone. How can I avoid this? I don't want to use the I am in San Diego and my cell picked up a Mexican tower excuse either lmao. Any help is appreciated!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, bangbang10000 said:

So I've been on this website since the start of the pandemic and the only reason I have not yet gone is because of the dial tone one hears when calling me in mexico. I went to TJ a couple years ago and a friend called me and knew exactly where I was at because if the dial tone. How can I avoid this? I don't want to use the I am in San Diego and my cell picked up a Mexican tower excuse either lmao. Any help is appreciated!

Search is your friend.

Search on "ring tone" and tons of discussion on various threads comes up.  Things like getting a Google Voice account and having your calls forwarded to that (not sure if it still gives them the MX ring tone), to getting a burner phone to use in MX while leaving your personal phone in the US forwarding the calls to the burner.  Several other ideas throughout the threads.

Bottom line: it has been discussed A LOT here so do some searches and you should find your answers.

FWIW: in five+ years of mongering in TJ with countless trips - even TLN - where I have gotten calls from all kinds of people including my mother, no one has ever mentioned the ring tone or asked why they got a different tone....

I live half the week in Tijuana (no one in the US knows) and only once has someone said it sounded weird when they called me. I said I had no idea and I asked them why they called to switch gears.

• Like 3

Last time I looked, T-Mobile offered a service to change the ring back sound heard by incoming calls for like five or six bucks a month.  Note: Not to be confused with the sound YOU hear when your phone rings, ie., a ring tone.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, nonsensicalElixir said:

That's a bummer.  Since 2 years ago I have been asking them repeatedly and they told me they have no such service.  Not a lot of CS reps knew about.  Anyway it is gone now.  What I do now is block those who I don't want to know I am in Mexico and communicate with them via Whatsapp and unblock them the second my signal changes to T-Mobile once I enter the US.  Its good this VoIP services don't implement these tone changes when used to voice call in Mexico (I am sure in other destinations too).

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, 18delta said:

Yes, that sucks, which is why I use airplane mode, and then they ask it goes straight to voicemail...so your screwed either way.

May be easier to explain "airplane mode" (it mist have been a cell tower glitch) than to explain a strange ring tone.  To each his own for each persons circumstances.....

• Like 1
On 12/23/2021 at 2:02 AM, bangbang10000 said:

Me Myself and I will say ( " what you talkin bout willis "). I am a Boomer so deal with it :cool_smiley: