Hero
Sign in to follow this  
Bigtyme

Toros beisbol!

Bigtyme

So FINALLY made it to a Toros baseball game during my last visit in early May. I am a huge baseball fan and appreciate all levels of the sport. 

Have been going to TJ for years now and this is the first time I have ventured out to a game. This is Part of my “More to TJ than ZN” psychi....and boy do I learn more and more that TJ is such an awesome place. This is true for everyone and even moreso for a Midwest boy like myself! 

Anywho, loved all aspects of it. Took a quick Uber of 143 pesos and got there in no time. About 30 minutes from centro if I recall. Driver knew the drill and left me right at the main gate. Went to the ticket counter and asked what tickets they had. Said as cheap as 45 pesos and at the time had centro for 100. Decided to splurge and went with that. Sat behind home plate on the second level. Good view and had damn near a whole row to myself. Starting to think you can buy any ticket and sit wherever the hell you want! 

Festivities were great. Tons of food, cheap and delicious drinks and hot cheerleaders all over!

I was in the spirit so got a Toros SnapBack for $150 pesos from the hottie selling them. Overall a GREAT time. Loved it. Cheap and fun. Great date night idea. Only regret is not having done this sooner. Will be back for sure. Actually considering being there next week. Got a Tuesday, wed and Thursday’s series. But Tuesday is the only game I can catch and that is the stateside all star game that I planned on watching at HK Tuesday evening. ? so have to figure out what I want to do. 

In any case, great experience and to those that haven’t and are sports fans...DO it! And to those that haven’t and are NOT sports fans...DO IT! Good experience. Just another one of the many things to do on TJ! 

Pics attached. 

3BC0909C-40F1-40ED-A998-F2FBD5184D10.jpeg

D7D20AAC-453F-4C48-BA90-6C005108A9D4.jpeg

5B9B6158-3C4B-407E-9340-419D37C8A319.jpeg

526A4B82-4267-4E5F-B412-A56501387A24.jpeg

113D5C0E-7146-4715-81A5-471A81EE3E5E.jpeg

F904E81F-3F49-4B39-80EC-8EE5ACBDCB19.jpeg

86CF1982-A9F1-4E52-8F64-C3635574E2D2.jpeg

359891A7-ADCC-4CFB-A502-F9C19907008F.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Bubby

Great report, Bigtyme. I really enjoy the games as well. My novia loves the games also. Sometimes she drives us, but I prefer Uber in case we want to drink. Plus, it's nice not having to sweat the traffic and parking.

Your perception about available seating is correct for regular season games. Playoffs don't sell out, but choice is much more limited.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

fotofreak

Are there any shaded seats available?

sampson
1 hour ago, fotofreak said:

Are there any shaded seats available?

I think most if not all games are at night.  They are not going to get many folks to sit out in the sun in TJ.

Edited by sampson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agreed 1

Bigtyme

Foto, agree with Sampson here. Haven’t seen any game times other than 7pm at which point the sun is nowehere near as rough as it could be. 

Having said that I am not 100% sure what area would be shaded in the event of a Day game. 

If In doubt catch a night game! Heck in early May I recall it being pleasantly chilly even. 

Wish I could catch next weeks game. Should have stayed an extra day to catch the Wednesday game. But instead of flying out Thursday morning I am flying out Wednesday night. 

So Tuesday is the only shot and even though the mlb allstar game isnt exactly a must see...something about being able to watch it in TJ makes it better! 

I hope the majors bars are showing it (HK, AB and CC) 

Surfer 123

So they are playing home field next week Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday?

Bigtyme
12 hours ago, Surfer 123 said:

So they are playing home field next week Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday?

Yes. Actually I believe they have 6 games in a row. They have another series at home on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. So looks like plenty of chances to catch a game. 

Tuesday and Wednesday are giveaways. And Thursday is ladies night. ? wish I could catch that game. 

373A377C-7B87-41A8-A87C-B3064FD1296B.png

• Like 1

Bubby

I've attended 2 games this past week, and had a nice time.

It bothers me that they have almost completely dismantled their championship team. They are currently in second place in the North division, but I really can't see them winning anything with their current lineup.

• Like 1

Blazers

Here is what has changed in the last 5 years at Toros games.  Americanized Mexican women likely complained and shit changed.

Tequila girls...gone

Edecanes cant go out on the field.  Before they would dance on the top of the dugout or out on the field in between innings

Toritas only go out 2-3 times a game(depending on which side you are on)

Big net now taking away the view of the prime seats below.

No more booty shaking contests at the top of the sections and were put on the big screen

Price of beer has doubled

Chango doesnt go out till the 3rd or 4rth inning and then doesnt interract with the fans, players or umpires any more.  Just does a dance or a skit a couple times a game.  Before he was trying to pants the umpire, made fun of the players when they got hit by a pitch.  Fuck with fans in their seats.  Would climb the netting and throw bananas at people.

Pollo Lalo is gone and replaced by some other chicken that does nothing.  Likely sued by San Diego Chicken.  He used  to dress up in different variations of monks and popes and would take out leaeves and dip them in water and bless the crowd with chicken holy water to spark a rally.  It actually worked sometimes.

More AMerican food vendors than Mexican food.

You have to pay a consumable of like 300-400 pesos to go the VIP when before it was open to everyone as long as you ordered alcohol and/or food.  The food sucks there so I cant see spending 300 pesos on beer for each person.

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

Bubby

Interesting play during the Toros victory last night in Campeche.

Campeche player hit a home run but didn't touch home plate. Someone on the Toros was paying attention. When a ball was put into play, the pitcher threw the ball in to the catcher to touch home. 

Batter is out. No home run!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

sampson
12 minutes ago, Bubby said:

Interesting play during the Toros victory last night in Campeche.

Campeche player hit a home run but didn't touch home plate. Someone on the Toros was paying attention. When a ball was put into play, the pitcher threw the ball in to the catcher to touch home. 

Batter is out. No home run!

That is an appeal play.  What is interesting is the rule on a ball that leaves the field on the fly in fair territory, the batter must circle the bases and touch home plate.  Another works he can miss the first three bases but must touch the plate.

samesam

no got to touch em all, or he is out , no HR

sampson
41 minutes ago, samesam said:

no got to touch em all, or he is out , no HR

And that is not the rule and in fact they teach umpires to not allow any appeals on Home Runs that are ground rule Home runs except at home plate.  On an inside the park home run you must touch them all or risk an appeal.  

PhordPhan
Posted (edited)

Nevermind. I saw the pic posted above after I wrote this drivel...

Edited by PhordPhan

ClamSlammer
15 hours ago, sampson said:

That is an appeal play.  What is interesting is the rule on a ball that leaves the field on the fly in fair territory, the batter must circle the bases and touch home plate.  Another works he can miss the first three bases but must touch the plate.

If the home team hits a traditional home run in the bottom of the 9th or in extra innings with one or more runners on base, and if one of those runners crosses home plate as the winning run, then the batter must touch first base but is not required to touch any subsequent bases.

samesam
20 hours ago, sampson said:

And that is not the rule and in fact they teach umpires to not allow any appeals on Home Runs that are ground rule Home runs except at home plate.  On an inside the park home run you must touch them all or risk an appeal.  

i think we must mixing rules up between Mexican league and MLB rules, as i agree with what ClamSlamer says in his example. However with ClamSlamer's Home Team example with No runners on base, the walk off dinger you have to touch 1,2,3 and home plate its hard for Blue to see if Home is touched and is never appealed cause blue is going for the locker room after he touches 3rd base . Dinner reservations you know.

sampson
11 minutes ago, samesam said:

i think we must mixing rules up between Mexican league and MLB rules, as i agree with what ClamSlamer says in his example. However with ClamSlamer's Home Team example with No runners on base, the walk off dinger you have to touch 1,2,3 and home plate its hard for Blue to see if Home is touched and is never appealed cause blue is going for the locker room after he touches 3rd base . Dinner reservations you know.

I umpired many years out of high school and for about 15 years later.  I umpired in High school, college exhibitions, and for the Stan Musial League.  The Stan Musial was a league of adults which had many guys that had played AAA baseball in the US.  I will admit that I know nothing about Mexican League rules, but I do know baseball rules.  I have heard coaches scream touch them all from the third base coaches box, but they like to believe they are saying something important and like to hear themselves talk. 

samesam
17 minutes ago, sampson said:

I umpired many years out of high school and for about 15 years later.  I umpired in High school, college exhibitions, and for the Stan Musial League.  The Stan Musial was a league of adults which had many guys that had played AAA baseball in the US.  I will admit that I know nothing about Mexican League rules, but I do know baseball rules.  I have heard coaches scream touch them all from the third base coaches box, but they like to believe they are saying something important and like to hear themselves talk. 

so in my example and Blue has gone for Dinner maybe with one of your Ladies, after the Batter hits the dinger and only touches 1,2,3 only. How can the Pitcher make the Appeal with No ball from the Ump ? if the Ball is dead after leaving the Yard ?

sampson

I think most umpires would say in that situation it's best to look away and not see a guy Miss home plate. However and the other story was during the game and that's a whole different situation is as opposed to a walk-off homerun but even on a homerun and any part in the game I think a lot of vampires would have not seen it. I've watched cocky kids in high school purposely Miss first second and third when they hit the ball out of the park but they always touch home plate. However for example if a bass was missed and the winning runs scored maybe not a home run but the Wayne runs scored the empire upon the pictures request can return the ball to him and let them complete an appeal play after the winning Ron had appeared to score

samesam
1 hour ago, sampson said:

not sure i would criticize this Coach's suggestion to touch em all , as the result of the suggestion removes all chances of Protesting Blue's call on appeal. touch all bases, Game Over. Unless Blue says can't Protest a Judgment call  on if batter / runner actually touched all bases .

sampson
Posted (edited)

I can see the point in that however that's a clear Rule and it would not be a judgment call as the rule clearly states the batter Runner must circle the bases and touch home plate.

Edited by sampson

Bubby

There is actually a video of this on the Toros' Facebook page. 

The umpire was staring right at home plate as the runner's foot went over and around home plate:

¡I N C R E Í B L E! ¡Piratas se "puso al frente" con jonrón pero el corredor NO PISÓ EL PLATO, lo marcan OUT y seguimos empatados!

¡Compártelo si nunca habías visto algo así🤣🤣🤣🐃

59821411_2159173890818210_2850401332852948992_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_oc=AQkuFvsdSjdvzNWErKJlaxrmYGZ2FkQhxpnUoGd34ToqUuz6CiJE6slmqLEzDAgY0qiy-e4kXLDVmsyAxSWaeLh9&_nc_ht=scontent.fatl1-1.fna&oh=794553c93ae97d3ebb7d3a82f847cd57&oe=5D5243F5
-PAXP-deijE.gif
  • Like 1