Flying out of TJ: TUA fee, baggage fee through Orbitz?

El Viejito

I was comparing flights on different airlines out of TJ.  I've flown out of TJ before, but never noticed this TUA fee previously or it's gone up in price. It ranges between about 400 and 500 pesos for most flights.

I checked Volaris, Vivaaerobus, and Orbitz for flights. Both Volaris and Vivaaerobus mentioned the TUA fee for using TJ airport, but Orbitz did not. Volaris required that you pay the TUA fee at the time of booking. Vivaaerobus gave you the option of paying now or paying later before your flight. Orbitz did not mention the TUA fee at all. I'm thinking maybe it was included in the Orbitz fare, but not sure. Orbitz listed flights with Volaris, but not with Vivaerobus.

Orbitz did not give a baggage option and it seemed you had to pay extra directly through Volaris for any carry on or checked bags.

Anyway, does anybody have experience with this TUA fee or baggage fees when booking flights out of TJ on Orbitz? I'm wondering how the baggage thing works. If you pay ahead of time or at the airport.

Just trying to decide what site to use for booking. May be better to book direct through the Mexican airlines, but not sure. Thanks for any feedback.

The Airport Departure Fee (TUA) is a charge that Mexican airports apply to all passengers for the use of the facilities and services of the terminal building. 

• Like 1

I wound up talking with an Orbitz rep and he confirmed that no baggage is included in the Volaris fares listed on their site out of TJ. He also said that the TUA fee is not included in their fares either and needs to be paid directly to the airline.

Not sure if this is true or not, but definitely going to book directly through the Mexican airlines now. The less surprises the better on travel day.

• Like 1

I have booked many flights to/from TJ. I just booked one yesterday.  It's simpler to just book directly on the airline's site. 

The TUA fee is a check box on the Volaris site and you can't finish and pay without checking it, acknowledging that they're adding like $28 to your fare. 

IIRC Vivaaerobus gives you the option to pay up front or at the airport. 

Both airlines nickel and dime the shit out of you. 

• Like 4
  • Agreed 1

I would just book directly with the airline. Volaris and vivaerobus are already kind of a pain to deal with.

Anything goes wrong and they might try to blame whatever agency you used to book your flight.

Volaris is the one airline where some funny things have happened during my trips. One time during Christmas time my flight got "full" so I could not get on it. I had booked the flight months in advance and paid extra for my window seat.

They gave me the "you should have arrived two hours early" speech when trying to justify their screw up and where trying to wash their hands.

I went full Karen on the poor bastard that told me that by telling him that I had been in line for around three hours already.

After I pressed him further he booked me on a flight to Mexico City for later that night.

Later on I read that volaris had cancelled a bunch of flights and had many delays during those dates.

I prefer Aeromexico since they seem to be more organized about how they handle things. Every time you see a long ass line at the Tijuana or Mexico City airport it's usually Volaris or vivaerobus.

Also if you are enrolled in their Premier account once in awhile they bump you from regular to Premier class with the better seats and a small meal included.

I've flown premier before when there are no other seats left but I don't think the extra cost is worth it. It's still a nice gesture from them when it happens which you rarely find on Mexican Airlines.

Also I usually pay with American Express. Their costumer service is pretty good when dealing with fraud or when vendors don't want to fulfill their end of a deal. I've had them reverse charges on PayPal and Aliexpress after they sided with sellers when I submitted a claim. I haven't had to file a reverse charge on an airline yet but I feel more confident with them then the other card issuers.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, TJX said:

I would just book directly with the airline. Volaris and vivaerobus are already kind of a pain to deal with.

Anything goes wrong and they might try to blame whatever agency you used to book your flight.

Volaris is the one airline where some funny things have happened during my trips. One time during Christmas time my flight got "full" so I could not get on it. I had booked the flight months in advance and paid extra for my window seat.

They gave me the "you should have arrived two hours early" speech when trying to justify their screw up and where trying to wash their hands.

I went full Karen on the poor bastard that told me that by telling him that I had been in line for around three hours already.

After I pressed him further he booked me on a flight to Mexico City for later that night.

Later on I read that volaris had cancelled a bunch of flights and had many delays during those dates.

I prefer Aeromexico since they seem to be more organized about how they handle things. Every time you see a long ass line at the Tijuana or Mexico City airport it's usually Volaris or vivaerobus.

Also if you are enrolled in their Premier account once in awhile they bump you from regular to Premier class with the better seats and a small meal included.

I've flown premier before when there are no other seats left but I don't think the extra cost is worth it. It's still a nice gesture from them when it happens which you rarely find on Mexican Airlines.

Also I usually pay with American Express. Their costumer service is pretty good when dealing with fraud or when vendors don't want to fulfill their end of a deal. I've had them reverse charges on PayPal and Aliexpress after they sided with sellers when I submitted a claim. I haven't had to file a reverse charge on an airline yet but I feel more confident with them then the other card issuers.

The problem is Aeromexico has so few direct domestic flights out of TJ

3 hours ago, Blazers said:

The problem is Aeromexico has so few direct domestic flights out of TJ

Aeromexico is Mexico's answer to Delta Airlines. Every freaking flight transfers through MEX. Wanna go to Cabo? 5 hours through MEX. Oaxaca? 5 hours through MEX. And pay triple for the privilege. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
41 minutes ago, PhordPhan said:

Aeromexico is Mexico's answer to Delta Airlines. Every freaking flight transfers through MEX. Wanna go to Cabo? 5 hours through MEX. Oaxaca? 5 hours through MEX. And pay triple for the privilege. 

AeroMexico (and to some extent Delta) hasn't figured out that most of the rest of the industry abandoned the "hub and spoke" model decades ago.  People want to fly direct.

• Like 2

Pre-COVID I was flying Volaris monthly. Smooth. But this past year, they have been spotty. Last few trips have been on Viva Aerobus and good experiences each time.

Aeromexico has been excellent in my experience, but as noted by Blazers, limited direct domestic destinations. If you have Delta Medallion status, they automatically upgrade you to first class... nice!

If flying Volaris, I suggest not trying to check a bag when going outbound from TJ. Shitshow. Carry on and avoid standing in line forever. My secret is using the VIP Lounge access with their own security checkpoint that goes right into the VIP Lounge upstairs. Free access for Priority Pass members, and you can take up to three guests at no charge. Free drinks, snacks, wifi and quality shitters. I think they may be installing some showers as well?

Yes, the airlines have unbundled the TUA (basically the landing fees the airport charges per passenger). If you feel it's too much $$, then you are a cheap fuck and shouldn't be flying anyway....

And, I agree better to book direct with the airline and not going through an OTA like Expedia, etc.

• Like 2