Dollar or Peso in the clubs?

TxRex

Hi. After reading some posts I keep seeing people mentioning tipping dollars to dancers. My question is when I get to Tijuana in December should I carry dollars and pesos for paying for things in the club?

If you are in the usual gringo Zona Norte bars/clubs - HK, Adelita's, Chicago Club - having $1 available is handy for tipping dancers, waiters, doorman when taking chica to the room, room cleaning kid, etc. Hard to find a place to put a 10 peso coin when a stripper comes over after dancing and pulls her thong open expecting a $1....

But, since I don't frequent those bars too much, I find myself with plenty of 5 and 10 peso coins and 20 peso bills for tips....

• Like 3
1 hour ago, TxRex said:

Hi. After reading some posts I keep seeing people mentioning tipping dollars to dancers. My question is when I get to Tijuana in December should I carry dollars and pesos for paying for things in the club?

This gets brought up a ton and everyone has a different opinion. But, here is my thoughts.

If you are not familiar with using pesos then:

• tips for girls / doorman -  dollars
  • drinks for you and girls - dollars
  • Food - Pesos 
  • Paying for extended nights in hotel - pesos 
  • VIP card at HK or Tropical - Pesos 
  • Taking a girl up - Pesos

Its pretty simple math to pay $5 for a $4 dollar drink and say keep the change, or paying $10 for a $9 lady drink and saying keep the change.  Less chance of being short changed or getting a pocket full of peso coins. 

For the girls though if they come at you with $100 and you come back with anywhere from 1500-1800 they will typically take it. Even at 1800 its less than $100. 

• Like 4
  • Agreed 1
12 minutes ago, Jdavid1976 said:

This gets brought up a ton and everyone has a different opinion. But, here is my thoughts.

If you are not familiar with using pesos then:

• tips for girls / doorman -  dollars
  • drinks for you and girls - dollars
  • Food - Pesos 
  • Paying for extended nights in hotel - pesos 
  • VIP card at HK or Tropical - Pesos 
  • Taking a girl up - Pesos

Its pretty simple math to pay $5 for a $4 dollar drink and say keep the change, or paying $10 for a $9 lady drink and saying keep the change.  Less chance of being short changed or getting a pocket full of peso coins. 

For the girls though if they come at you with $100 and you come back with anywhere from 1500-1800 they will typically take it. Even at 1800 its less than $100. 

So the girls will quote me in dollars and not pesos? That makes it easy I guess. Thx!

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, TxRex said:

So the girls will quote me in dollars and not pesos? That makes it easy I guess. Thx!

The girls at the main bars will always quote you in dollars. 

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, TxRex said:

12 minutes ago, Jdavid1976 said:

The girls at the main bars will always quote you in dollars. 

As jDavid said, they will quote you in dollars. You counter with 1500 pesos. They may accept it as many are not good at math. Keep it under 1800 and you are ahead. 
That being said, if you really want to keep things simple, use dollars for everything in the bars, including the girls. 
Always use pesos for street girls. 

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, tomjackin said:

If you don't travel to TJ often, just use dollars. Bring lots of ones (tipping/groping) and some fives (taxis).

And make sure you have exact change ($7) for the taxi ride back to the border at the end of the night.  The HK shuttle may not be running or may be too long of a wait.....

• Like 1

Try your best to avoid using the taxis right outside the club. They're in cahoots with the policia for stopping and stealing your money.

Your best bet would be #1-the HK Limo for just a modest tip like 2 or 3 bucks; #2-if you have UBER on your phone, use it!

• Like 5

Street girls are the other case in the zona where pesos are the better deal. As @Sargon said, some girls are just not good at math. Or maybe they understand that guys who pay dollars are more willing to pay more, I don't know. But a street girl may quote $50 but when you ask in pesos she'll say 500 pesos for the same thing. Some people say it's because the exchange rate was near 10:0 for so long that it just became habit. But that seems odd to me -- girls changed their prices over the course of a few months during the pandemic. Surely street girls are not holding on to a decades old memory trick to figure out their rates? ::shrug:: Anyway, the point is that you can save about 50% on street girls by paying in pesos.

Unless you are really good at math and recognizing foreign currency, stick to dollars in the clubs. When a drink is $4 and you hand them a 200 peso bill and they hand back a 50 and a little pile of change, is it correct? Can you do "19 times 4 is 76, subtract from 200 is 124, minus the 50p note means there should be 74p in coins" while a girl is grinding on you and you've had a few drinks and the guy is looking at you like "Just leave me the coins as a tip, gringo." If not, congrats, you just gave the guy a 90% tip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agreed 2

All the replies above are spot-on and I'll add this:  carry small bills!  Always make sure you have at least one five dollar bill at the end of the night to take a taxi back to the border as the taxi guys never have change (at least, that's what they tell you...)

You can break a 20 at any of the bars.  Don't be shy about counting in front of them to make sure they gave you all 20 when they hand you a pile of ones.  The locals do it as do all smart Amigos.

One more money tip: don't use the ATMs in the Zona Norte.  Several Amigos have had problems with them.  If you do need to use an ATM, take a walk up to Revolucion and use one at a bank.  There is a bank on 2nd and Revo and then two banks just a few steps off Revolucion on 4th.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the tips!! I won’t have to worry about a taxi too much as I’m staying 2 nights at HK itself and any traveling I do during the day will be close or I’ll Uber. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, TxRex said:

Thanks for the tips!! I won’t have to worry about a taxi too much as I’m staying 2 nights at HK itself and any traveling I do during the day will be close or I’ll Uber. 

Definitely get the HK VIP card before you check in if you're staying for two days.  You buy it inside HK at the desk on the Coahuila side.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Reuben said:

Definitely get the HK VIP card before you check in if you're staying for two days.  You buy it inside HK at the desk on the Coahuila side.

I was looking at getting it just for the room discounts but I don’t see much use for it myself past that. So buy the card before checking in to the hotel?

Since you are brand new and plan on staying at the HK hotel itself for the first time, you should know that Cascades is not like the American hotel/motels that you may be used to.  Do not think of this as a real hotel.  It's basically a room in a whorehouse.  Expect the following:  noise at all hours of the day/night, and possible screw-ups by hotel staff that include renting out your room to another random John & puta.  If you are a light sleeper, you will likely not be getting good sleep here. 

Also, food is generally better outside of the Red Light district.  If you do decide to venture out during your 2 day stay, avoid exploring the immediate neighborhood surrounding the Zona.  It is not a good area.  If you want to stroll down Revolution, I recommend first walking down Constitution, then turning left on either 2nd or 3rd street, and walk the 1 block to Revolution.  Walking down Coahuila (same street where HK & Adelitas is located at) to Revolution can be a bit sketchy at times.  If you need to orient yourself, look for the Arch.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, KCQuestor said:

Surely street girls are not holding on to a decades old memory trick to figure out their rates? ::shrug::

I agree. I was still living in Tlaxcala when it was 10-1. I think it changed in 2007 or 2008 which would mean an 18 year old would of been 5 years old during that time. Not much of a memory at 5.

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, Reuben said:

One more money tip: don't use the ATMs in the Zona Norte.  Several Amigos have had problems with them.  If you do need to use an ATM, take a walk up to Revolucion and use one at a bank.  There is a bank on 2nd and Revo and then two banks just a few steps off Revolucion on 4th.

Agree definitely, although I have used the ATMs inside the lobbies of Cascadas (Coahuila and the alley) many times without problem besides the high fees they charge.  

Don't ask why I have had to make withdrawals there.....:whistling::facepalm:

• Haha 2
9 hours ago, TxRex said:

I was looking at getting it just for the room discounts but I don’t see much use for it myself past that. So buy the card before checking in to the hotel?

Yes, buy it before you check in and show it to them before you pay.  It does give you a free drink each day (you have to redeem the drink at the same desk where you bought the card) and you get a discount at Azul restaurant, too, when you show it.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Reuben said:

It does give you a free drink each day

It used to give a free drink every 12 hours. Did they change that?

6 hours ago, KCQuestor said:

It used to give a free drink every 12 hours. Did they change that?

They may have...on the back of the card: VIP benefits may only be used once in a 24 hour period.

On 8/18/2021 at 4:18 PM, Sargon said:

And make sure you have exact change ($7) for the taxi ride back to the border at the end of the night.  The HK shuttle may not be running or may be too long of a wait.....

I use the Chicago Club shuttle, even though I don't hang out there much (usually at Tropical when in the Zona). On bombing runs, I valet park at Hotel Pueblo Amigo, taking Uber or Taxi Libre (100 MXN) to the Zona. And, I take the Chicago Club shuttle and just ask the driver to drop me at the Hotel Pueblo Amigo instead of the border. Tip him out 50 pesos. Easy! And, it's exit the parking lot at Hotel Pueblo Amigo, drive straight one block and left turn into the Sentri lane. Minimal exposure to TJ cops....

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Sargon said:

Agree definitely, although I have used the ATMs inside the lobbies of Cascadas (Coahuila and the alley) many times without problem besides the high fees they charge.  

Don't ask why I have had to make withdrawals there.....:whistling::facepalm:

Oh yeah.... avoid those private ATM's at all costs... if you need $ and it's late, go to the Soriana at Revo and 2nd and you can use the bank ATM's inside in better safety than an outside bank ATM at night...

• Like 2
  • Agreed 1
9 minutes ago, TJ Flyer said:

Oh yeah.... avoid those private ATM's at all costs... if you need $ and it's late, go to the Soriana at Revo and 2nd and you can use the bank ATM's inside in better safety than an outside bank ATM at night...

Yep!  My go to ATM when needed.  Not exactly on 2nd though but close enough, about 150 yards south.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, soulcal said:

Yep!  My go to ATM when needed.  Not exactly on 2nd though but close enough, about 150 yards south.

That's the place... also, drive through ATM's in the Zona Rio at Banamex and BBVA Bancomer... And, if you need pesos and need to pee bad going into at El Chaparral driving, turn into the declaration area. Bank ATM in there plus restrooms, and you can get an updated tourist visa if needed to keep in the car...

Edited by TJ Flyer
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, tomjackin said:

They may have...on the back of the card: VIP benefits may only be used once in a 24 hour period.

Just talked to the service desk dude...you were correct, every 12 hours.

• Like 3