Cannabis vape or edibles allowed in TJ? Also, small pocket knife

I was wondering if I can bring a cannabis vape or edibles into TJ.   I also am use to carrying a small pocket knife on me.  3 inch blade or shorter.   

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Short answer is leave that stuff at home.  People do it but the police feel like they hit a jack pot if they find.

• Like 1
  • Agreed 5
47 minutes ago, Yogi said:

I was wondering if I can bring a cannabis vape or edibles into TJ.   I also am use to carrying a small pocket knife on me.  3 inch blade or shorter.   

Get unused to carrying around a pocket knife.  This isnt 1975.  That can and will land you in jail as will vape pens with herb.  Cannabis is on the verge of full legalization but we arent there yet and cops know it.  Now edibles you might be able to find a way to hide it but it cant be in packaging that screams edibles.

• Like 3

I guess my medical marijuana card from California doesn't mean much to them in TJ.   I really do use it for pain control.   I normally use gummy drops as I can manage my pain better.  I guess for 5 days I might have to rough it.

I feel paranoid even having my little kitchen knife that I use for cutting food in my hotel room on me in my car. 

Bottom line is police will use any reason to fuck with you if they want to. ..so its best not to give them one. 

• Agreed 2
Posted (edited)

You may have noticed a sign when entering saying that bringing in MJ is a crime. 

Vape pens are also illegal to import. They're technically illegal to posses but I don't think they enforce the law all that strictly. 

Knives are illegal. But, again, I have friends who carry them and don't have problems. So YMMV.

Edited by PhordPhan
  • Like 1

I have lots of prescribed meds from the VA Hospital.   I was going to just bring all the bottles and hope they don't screw with me.

2 minutes ago, PhordPhan said:

You may have noticed a sign when entering saying that bringing in MJ is a crime. 

Vape pens are also illegal to import. They're technically illegal to posses but I don't think they enforce the law all that strictly. 

Knives are illegal. But, again, I have friends who carry them and don't have problems. So YMMV.

I have a little 2 inch sharp as hell knife.  At the VA hospital, I got taken to the chief of Police in New Haven, CT.   He looked at it and laughed and told the cop to let me go.   

• Like 1
10 hours ago, PhordPhan said:

My take,

They might not strictly enforce marijuana laws, unless you’re a Gringo.  Even if or when Marijuana is made legal in Mexico/TJ, I believe that as far as the TJ cops are concerned, it will still be illegal for Gringos 🤣🤣

so to speak

• Like 3
  • Agreed 2
11 hours ago, Yogi said:

I have a little 2 inch sharp as hell knife.  At the VA hospital, I got taken to the chief of Police in New Haven, CT.   He looked at it and laughed and told the cop to let me go.   

That wont happen in TJ. You will either pay an expensive bribe or be in jail. Assess whether your pocket knife and vape pen  habit is worth it.

• Like 1

I would surmise then that a multi-tool like Leatherman, would be a shiny object to the murder of crows we call the TJ Policía? 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, PsiFlash said:

I would surmise then that a multi-tool like Leatherman, would be a shiny object to the murder of crows we call the TJ Policía? 

Yup.  Not worth the trouble.

• Sad 1
17 hours ago, Yogi said:

I have lots of prescribed meds from the VA Hospital.   I was going to just bring all the bottles and hope they don't screw with me.

You will be fine with your own prescriptions; I travel with mine all the time.

As far as the other things you mentioned; leave them home.

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

As for the knife, I almost always carry one when in the US, but wouldn't think of it in TJ. Never tried crossing with a knife and never will.

As for Cannabis, I take it across every time I cross. Vape pens and edibles will never get caught when crossing. Just make sure you detach your cartridge from the battery. Mix in the carts with toiletries and take the battery in with your electronics or in a seperate pocket. Of course, take off all of the packaging. Edibles are even easier. Take out the packaging and there is no way to know. 

I've even carried over actual Cali bud. About 2 ounces. I pre ground it in San Diego then stuffed it into a scent scealing container and put it in next to containers of breadcrumbs and it looks the same crossing. But this is a LOT riskier. Probably won't ever do this again. 

Never smoke your weed outside in TJ, unless you are on a balcony. Vaping is fine outside though. Smoking weed outside in the rest of the country is relatively ok as long as it isn't in front of a cop. Just the TJ cops will do anything if they catch you. As for your vape, if you are going out to zona Río, Macroplaza, Hippodromo, or anywhere far away from the zona, it is safe to carry with you. Cops won't stop random gringos unless they are in the touristy spots normally. If you are in the zona, you gotta make sure it is hidden. I normally put mine in my shoe. Hard to get into the club if they have the metal detectors up. But you can take them into the hotels easy. I've got mine up to Rizo every time. 

Getting a vape and edibles across is easy and routine. The thing you gotta worry about it being caught with it in ZN. Not a problem if you use your head. Also helps if you look less like a gringo. Many Mexicans often think I am Mexican even though I'm not Latino. Cops rarely look at me. In fact, one night at 4AM in the ZN, it was pretty dead back in the speakeasy days and a cop was sitting there next to one of the hotels just smoking his own vape.  Commented on it in Spanish and he offered me a drag. I took mine out and offered him one. Some cops just don't care and are usually ok with it if they think you are Mexican. But yeah, if you are going to centro or the ZN and you are super white or black, you gotta make sure to hide the thing until in a more private area. 

Edited by Seagram621
  • Like 4
  • Agreed 1

I'm in my late 60's.   I've been using it off and on for pain for several years.   I was thinking of just bringing one vape and a few edibles in a vacuum sealed bag.   Using what I need while in TJ and when leaving if there is any left, I'll throw it away.   I have a small neck 2 inch knife.   I'm going to keep that hidden in my suitcase and only wear it when I'm sleeping.   I'm as Gringo as it gets.  However, I was born and raised in L.A. I dress normal and never had a problem when I use to go to TJ 30 yrs ago.   I always keep my eyes and ears open and while my Spanish is weak,  For the most part, I've always been able to diffuse situations when it comes to dangerous people and places.  I also know never to take anything for granted and let my guard down and walk into a possible trap.  

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Yogi said:

I'm in my late 60's.   I've been using it off and on for pain for several years.   I was thinking of just bringing one vape and a few edibles in a vacuum sealed bag.   Using what I need while in TJ and when leaving if there is any left, I'll throw it away.   I have a small neck 2 inch knife.   I'm going to keep that hidden in my suitcase and only wear it when I'm sleeping.   I'm as Gringo as it gets.  However, I was born and raised in L.A. I dress normal and never had a problem when I use to go to TJ 30 yrs ago.   I always keep my eyes and ears open and while my Spanish is weak,  For the most part, I've always been able to diffuse situations when it comes to dangerous people and places.  I also know never to take anything for granted and let my guard down and walk into a possible trap.  

If you have a chica that you like, give the leftovers to her.  But definitely do not try to cross it back to the US.  One of my Amigos got caught with a pipe and the tiniest bit of weed when crossing back; the dogs sniffed it out in his trunk as he sat in line to cross in his car.  Sent to secondary, of course, and now has a ZTP (Zero Tolerance penalty) mark on his record so if he ever fucks up again in any way, they won't look the other way.  The article below wasn't him but similar situation:

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-media-release/cbp-issues-zero-tolerance-narcotics-penalty-bwi-airport

• Like 5
30 minutes ago, Yogi said:

Sounds like you need it and if you are taking 1 vape and some edibles, I doubt it will be a problem to cross with it. If you wanna be extra cautious, I would buy some other candy (skittles and regular gummy bears maybe) and put the edibles in with them. No packaging of course. With the vape, make sure the cartidge is seperate from the battery. Put the cart in with toiletries. If you put them together in a baggie and get secondary searched, it will be obvious.

Although, I suggest you definitely do NOT cross with them back into the US. Obviously can bring back the battery part of the vape but throw the juice portion out before crossing into the US. Legal in Cali but still illegal to cross back into the US with any cannabis product. Difference is they don't check or care going into MX but sometimes will going into the US, especially because they have sniffing dogs on the US side that may smell the cartridge juice. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, fotofreak said:

If you have a chica that you like, give the leftovers to her. 

Great idea.  

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

I'm a little paranoid about crossing the border with anything illegal so I usually have a chica bring it to my room. there are a couple head shops around, one by the oxxo up by Las pulgas. just gotta be discrete about toking up.  disposable vape and edibles are prolly your best bet.

(An aside: could mexican authorities get your global entry yanked if you had the misfortune of  a customs guy with a hard on for gringos catch you crossing with pot ?)

if you are down in the alley it is best to have someone go buy it for you for a small tip so the cops don't see you make the handoff.  i can't friggin wait for pot to get legalized in mexico -  it could take another year :(

Edited by elbrujodelnorte
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Agreed 1
1 hour ago, elbrujodelnorte said:

I can't friggin wait for pot to get legalized in mexico -  it could take another year :(

Whatever it takes, stil will be less than make it legal here at federal level. 

For the guys that bring vape pens into Tijuana... Where do you smoke?  Can't smoke in the rooms right?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, desertcoyote said:

For the guys that bring vape pens into Tijuana... Where do you smoke?  Can't smoke in the rooms right?

Vapes give off no smoke, it gives off vapor so it doesn't set off smoke alarms. Vapes only give off a very small smell and only for a second then dissipates. 

The hotels in the ZN let you smoke joints and cigarettes in the rooms even, they don't care at all. They give you ashtrays in the rooms. As for regular hotels, definitely don't smoke weed in them but you can vape no issue. You can vape pretty much anywhere other than in front of a cop. 

• Like 2
  • Agreed 1