Jump to content

ID ?


Norcalkid

Recommended Posts

Is a copy of PP an acceptable ID in TJ?  Or a Calif drivers license?

Sorry for the stupid question but I have always carried PP card as ID.  I can't find my PP card and would prefer to leave original PP book in hotel.  What is acceptable ID for on the streets?  

 

Thanks

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Posted (edited)

officially neither a copy of a passport nor a California driver's license are valid ID to get into Mexico but if you were to Cross by car and you were hassled by a cop I'm sure they would let it slide with a little mordida

Edited by elbrujodelnorte
spelling
  • Like 1
Link to comment
26 minutes ago, Norcalkid said:

Is a copy of PP an acceptable ID in TJ?  Or a Calif drivers license?

Sorry for the stupid question but I have always carried PP card as ID.  I can't find my PP card and would prefer to leave original PP book in hotel.  What is acceptable ID for on the streets? 

Thanks

You can use your driver's license as ID within TJ without too much trouble if needed.... of course, because this is Mexico, YMMV.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Norcalkid said:

Is a copy of PP an acceptable ID in TJ?  Or a Calif drivers license?

Sorry for the stupid question but I have always carried PP card as ID.  I can't find my PP card and would prefer to leave original PP book in hotel.  What is acceptable ID for on the streets?  

 

Thanks

Both are acceptable if stopped by the police.   As someone mentioned a DL is not acceptable to enter Mexico but if you drive no one will ask for your ID.  If you get put in secondary they normally just ask for your registration.   I don't think a copy will do you much good of your passport so leaving it in your hotel and carrying your DL will be fine.

Edited by sampson
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Posted (edited)

"On the streets" you should really have your PP to cross into MX.  If you're walking, there's a local line with a steady flow, and a wedo line where you can get a free 24 hour entry or pay for a 6 month permit.  You can risk the local line & sometimes get lucky if you flash your passport, but usually you get tossed over to the wedo line depending on your racial profiling - which whether you pay or not will get you a stamp on your PP (if that is an issue for you).  If you're driving, then nothing, no questions DL no prob.

Coming back, if you're walking, your PP will get you through with a couple simple questions.  You can use your DL and a copy of PP, but that risks more questions and more hassles (secondary and scolding if you keep your cool).  If you're driving, sampson nailed it, secondary and registration, though DL helps - no skin lost except the time (keep a book on your Kindle on your phone to keep from going nuts while waiting).

In summary, DL is risky in that it usually requires a little extra talking/story, but PP is king.  Don't mess with the copy of your PP, nobody's gonna take your PP away (unless you're holding something back on telling us ...).

Edited by Lumpy
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I drive in and out.

I carry both Passport and Drivers license when driving into TJ/Mexico, and of course car registration, proof of Mex. insurance and USA insurance.

When walking around I just carry My California ID card in My Mexico wallet.

When driving around in Mexico, I only carry My Drivers License.

When crossing back into USA from Mexico I have My SENTRI card, Passport and Drivers License, car registration, etc.

I also have a permanent visa (green card) Residente Permanente if I need to use it, usually I never need to have it, only if I'm questioned from The Mexicans about "Essential Travel" in Mexico.

So, there you have it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I generally carry both - one in each shoe.  I figure if the rateros steal one, I still have an ID for the CBP.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I got a California ID, just for walking around TJ. It's also what I give to La Mansion when I check in there, so I don't have to actually give up my CDL or PP card for someone to hold. I don't think it cost much and might be worth getting if you have the time. It seems though like you need something asap.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Dude, I have been crossing with my expired Michigan DL for years, but I haven't crossed since virus china.  I think it actually helps when I cross the boarder back to the USA because they just think I am a dopey Midwestern tourist wanting to see the sights in TJ and they usually don't even run my DL. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 3/18/2021 at 7:26 AM, Don Pisto said:

permanent visa

I see this is a Mexican side visa.  Can you permanently live in Mexico with this? Needs renewal?  Is this the only thing you need to do so?  Can you own property with this? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
14 hours ago, QuietGuy said:

I doubt anyone gets through these days without their name going into the computer.

True!  They seen to have all your crossing history at their fingertips.   I was called out last summer by CBP for crossing twice in the same day.    

Link to comment
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ChicagoBob said:

True!  They seen to have all your crossing history at their fingertips.   I was called out last summer by CBP for crossing twice in the same day.    

Guys I've been saying this for years, they absolutely know.

Probably 5 years ago, maybe 5 1/2, I was in good hands with a club favorita and she needed new tires for her Honda.  I have a friend who was the Inventory Manager in one of the larger used car lots in San Diego.

Asked her what she thought she'd pay and she gave me a number.  Called her 2 days later, giving her a price, explaining the tires were much better, they'd last long, had a better sideway rating (sure she didn't understand that part), blah, blah.

A deal was made 3 free arribas, crossed in my SUV, and she came over to my hotel and picked up her tires.

Crossing much later that night, thought I knew where the Ready Lane entrance was but botched it ending up in Sentri.  First thing out of my mouth was "Apologies Officer, I haven't driven across in years and was confused."

He checks his computer and says "That's not what the system is telling me." Me something about he may not have heard me correctly "I said driven across."  "Ok" he says, "I can see that."

Gave me a mild warning about using the wrong lane, no Secondary, and I was on my way.

Forgot to add it was a 50/50 match on the price of the tires.

Edited by soulcal
50/50 price match.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
40 minutes ago, soulcal said:

Guys I've been saying this for years, they absolutely know.

Probably 5 years ago, maybe 5 1/2, I was in good hands with a club favorita and she needed new tires for her Honda.  I have a friend who was the Inventory Manager in one of the larger used car lots in San Diego.

Asked her what she thought she'd pay and she gave me a number.  Called her 2 days later, giving her a price, explaining the tires were much better, they'd last long, had a better sideway rating (sure she didn't understand that part), blah, blah.

A deal was made 3 free arribas, crossed in my SUV, and she came over to my hotel and picked up her tires.

Crossing much later that night, thought I knew where the Ready Lane entrance was but botched it ending up in Sentri.  First thing out of my mouth was "Apologies Officer, I haven't driven across in years and was confused."

He checks his computer and says "That's not what the system is telling me." Me something about he may not have heard me correctly "I said driven across."  "Ok" he says, "I can see that."

Gave me a mild warning about using the wrong lane, no Secondary, and I was on my way.

Forgot to add it was a 50/50 match on the price of the tires.

Nice story!  What do you mean by 50/50 match?  Somehow referring to the price of the tires vs. three arribas?

Link to comment
8 hours ago, Dulla said:

I see this is a Mexican side visa.  Can you permanently live in Mexico with this? Needs renewal?  Is this the only thing you need to do so?  Can you own property with this? 

Wow, that's alot of questions!! LOL!

Ok, I will answer all that I know of:

1) I believe that you can live permanently in Mexico.

2) Doesn't need renewal--at this time.

3) It's as good as it gets, unless you become a citizen of Mexico--I don't know much about that process---sorry.

4) I think you can work, vote, etc.--unsure about owning property--you need to ask a Mexican Attorney about that.

Good Luck!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Posted (edited)

That was the easiest crossing ever.  Handed PP card to lady, she said something I couldn't understand.  I said cinco dias and she handed PP back.  No 7 day card to fill out. Cute lady checked my temp and I was on my way.

Everything here appears normal.  Haven't been in a bar yet but all the door guys say open as normal.

The negetive, the little ice cream shop next to the cigar place by Caesars didn't have cookies and cream.  Stupid pandemic must be impacting supply chains?

 

Edited by Norcalkid
  • Like 2
Link to comment

I crossed at Ped East into the USA last week  at about 10PM  with just my Frankenmuth Moose's Lodge ID card. It was about 48 degrees and I was wearing shorts, flip flops, and my throwback Charles Woodson jersey. I walked straight up to the Philippino boarder guard and I said "born in the USA, how may I help you?" He didn't even look at my Moose's Lodge ID card and just waived me through.  As I walked away he said to the Chicano boarder guard at the other booth "that dude needs a tan". 

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Moose said:

I crossed at Ped East into the USA last week  at about 10PM  with just my Frankenmuth Moose's Lodge ID card. It was about 48 degrees and I was wearing shorts, flip flops, and my throwback Charles Woodson jersey. I walked straight up to the Philippino boarder guard and I said "born in the USA, how may I help you?" He didn't even look at my Moose's Lodge ID card and just waived me through.  As I walked away he said to the Chicano boarder guard at the other booth "that dude needs a tan". 

Funny and appreciate your humor.  :yahooo:Those Moose Lodge cards don't come easy, then again mi padre was an Exalted Ruler or whatever it's called in the Elks.  Both work hard for charities, a good thing.

Edited by soulcal
  • Like 2
Link to comment

I think you guys trip out too much about ID's crossing back into the USA. Unless you are a sex crazed maniac who lives 20 minutes from the boarder that goes every week or you have a warrant, don't sweat it. I have heard of a guy getting through with a library card.  A boarder guard that has been on the job for only 6 months, knows what you were doing in TJ as soon as they lay eyes on you. Think of the thousands of people they see every day. It just depends on how much they want to mess with you and play mind games.  

  • Like 2
  • Agreed 1
Link to comment

I crossed last night around 9pm and it took 30 minutes.  When I handed the agent he said, "Welcome to the USA" and I told him I have been there once before.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
On 3/20/2021 at 12:05 AM, Moose said:

Dude, I have been crossing with my expired Michigan DL for years, but I haven't crossed since virus china.  I think it actually helps when I cross the boarder back to the USA because they just think I am a dopey Midwestern tourist wanting to see the sights in TJ and they usually don't even run my DL. 

Dude, his question was not about crossing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
×
×
  • Create New...