TJ airport layover

Wayne

It a 70-minute layover in TIJ long enough to catch a flight to MEX? I plan to do a mileage run: MCO-MEX-TIJ-MEX-MCO in January 2022. If I arrive at TIJ from MEX will 70 minutes be enough time to catch a return flight to MEX. Will I have to exit the secure area and go back through security or can I remain in the secure area and access my departure gate?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Wayne said:

It a 70-minute layover in TIJ long enough to catch a flight to MEX? I plan to do a mileage run: MCO-MEX-TIJ-MEX-MCO in January 2022. If I arrive at TIJ from MEX will 70 minutes be enough time to catch a return flight to MEX. Will I have to exit the secure area and go back through security or can I remain in the secure area and access my departure gate?

Presumably you'll have no checked luggage on a trip of this sort. If not, you'll have enough time. MEX-TIJ-MEX is a domestic trip. No need to exit the airport. You could just go directly to your gate. 70 minutes is enough time. 

• Like 1
  • Agreed 1

Perfect. Nothing but my carry-on slung on my shoulder. Thank you for the information! I'd like to do seven runs in Jan 2022 to save my Delta Diamond Medallion status before it expires on 2/1/2022. 

• Like 3

This doesn't answer your question, but a suggestion of a heads-up.  The first leg is MCO (Orlando) - MEX (Mexico).  Due to international travel, there's a requirement that you provide a negative covid test that's taken place within the last 3 days.  I don't know how long it takes for them to check everyone, but you'll want to allot enough time for the airport check.

(And since I'm betting your time in Mexico will be more than 2 days, you'll need to be tested in Mexico before you fly back to MCO.)

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, jimdigriz said:

This doesn't answer your question, but a suggestion of a heads-up.  The first leg is MCO (Orlando) - MEX (Mexico).  Due to international travel, there's a requirement that you provide a negative covid test that's taken place within the last 3 days.  I don't know how long it takes for them to check everyone, but you'll want to allot enough time for the airport check.

(And since I'm betting your time in Mexico will be more than 2 days, you'll need to be tested in Mexico before you fly back to MCO.)

He's planning on doing this next January so hopefully those days will be behind us.

• Like 3

Wow, talk about "planning ahead". Are you saying you just want to fly to Mexico and back to TJ and spend more time on a plane? Why? 

• Like 1

It's all about maintaining my Diamond status with Delta. In addition to flying 125K miles each year, Diamonds have to spend $15,000 on tickets. But because taxes/fees don't count, to reach $15K you have to spend about $18K. 

I can fly seven overnight flights (MCO-MEX-TIJ-MEX-MCO) in Business Class on Aeromexico for less than $3,500, ($494 per trip). Aeromexico is a Sky Team partner. Delta has a formula it uses when Sky Miles members fly on partner airlines. In this case the seven RT flights will generate a Delta ticket spend of $15,176. It sounds crazy. But it's true.

I don't know what COVID testing requirements will look like in Jan 2022. If a test is required I'm confident I can get tested in Orlando prior to departure and it will be good for the outbound and return. The total travel time will be less than 23 hours. I've received two doses of the Pfizer vaccine but it's anyones guess as to what vaccine requirements will look like in Jan 2022.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, PhordPhan said:

Presumably you'll have no checked luggage on a trip of this sort. If not, you'll have enough time. MEX-TIJ-MEX is a domestic trip. No need to exit the airport. You could just go directly to your gate. 70 minutes is enough time. 

Agreed, and the gates for AeroMexico should be in the same concourse at the TJ Airport (only two as you may know and less than a 10 minute walk between)....

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Wayne said:

It's all about maintaining my Diamond status with Delta. In addition to flying 125K miles each year, Diamonds have to spend $15,000 on tickets. But because taxes/fees don't count, to reach $15K you have to spend about $18K. 

I can fly seven overnight flights (MCO-MEX-TIJ-MEX-MCO) in Business Class on Aeromexico for less than $3,500, ($494 per trip). Aeromexico is a Sky Team partner. Delta has a formula it uses when Sky Miles members fly on partner airlines. In this case the seven RT flights will generate a Delta ticket spend of $15,176. It sounds crazy. But it's true.

I don't know what COVID testing requirements will look like in Jan 2022. If a test is required I'm confident I can get tested in Orlando prior to departure and it will be good for the outbound and return. The total travel time will be less than 23 hours. I've received two doses of the Pfizer vaccine but it's anyones guess as to what vaccine requirements will look like in Jan 2022.

Love Delta. I'm Silver Medallion level, and in 2019 when I flew AeroMexico to Medellin via TIJ-MEX-MDE and reverse coming back, I was stoked to get automatic upgrades to First Class on three out of the four segments. I really liked the service on AeroMexico!

• Like 2