Best cell phone provider for American living in/spending extended periods in Mexico?

amosrolling

amosrolling

I was wondering if fellow amigos could lend some direction.

I am interested in a cost-efficient provider that would provide decent service in both the US and Mexico, with data and good coverage, with phone calls coming in from the US to Mexico and back, without roaming charges.  Thanks to any who can respond.

• Like 3
vegasrick
11 minutes ago, amosrolling said:

I am interested in a cost-efficient provider that would provide decent service in both the US and Mexico, with data and good coverage, with phone calls coming in from the US to Mexico and back, without roaming charges.  Thanks to any who can respond.

I'm happy with T-MOBILE it do all of above like you never left the u.s 

• Like 7
  • Agreed 1
Diggy

I concur, I am also very happy with my T-Mobile cross-border service!

• Like 3
  • Agreed 1
Bubby

I agree with the T-Mobile service being great, but it isn't intended for people that live in Mexico. If you don't use a bunch of data and stick with mostly Wi-Fi you will be OK. 

I usually spend 4-6 weeks at a time in Mexico.

We were trying to get a passport for my novia's daughter, and due to some legal issues, time was of the essence. Appointments were very full in Tijuana, so my novia looked at the San Luis Rio Colorado appointments and they were much more open. We ended up driving back and forth 3 different times to finally get the passport. I was streaming music from my phone through my car speakers for a couple of the trips. Before the month was up, I got throttled and received a semi-nasty text from T-Mobile about how their plan wasn't designed for this. I had data, but it was like 2G or 3 G. My service returned to normal on the next billing cycle. 

I still think it's the best option out there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
vegasrick
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Bubby said:

I agree with the T-Mobile service being great, but it isn't intended for people that live in Mexico. If you don't use a bunch of data and stick with mostly Wi-Fi you will be OK. 

I usually spend 4-6 weeks at a time in Mexico.

We were trying to get a passport for my novia's daughter, and due to some legal issues, time was of the essence. Appointments were very full in Tijuana, so my novia looked at the San Luis Rio Colorado appointments and they were much more open. We ended up driving back and forth 3 different times to finally get the passport. I was streaming music from my phone through my car speakers for a couple of the trips. Before the month was up, I got throttled and received a semi-nasty text from T-Mobile about how their plan wasn't designed for this. I had data, but it was like 2G or 3 G. My service returned to normal on the next billing cycle. 

I still think it's the best option out there.

I doubled my data I buy the 15.00 add-on it double your speed and gives you 20gb vs 3gb 

Edited by vegasrick
  • Like 4
Bubby
5 minutes ago, vegasrick said:

I doubled my data I buy the 15.00 add-on it double your speed and gives you 20gb vs 3gb 

I'll check into it.

When I got home from this trip, I was still kind of pissed off about it and went to my local T-Mobile store to see what my options were. They were pretty useless. I'm wondering if that's fairly new, like in the past couple of years? At the time, they didn't indicate any solution to the problem. It hasn't happened since, so I haven't really worried about it.

• Like 2
Jefffffrey

I have unlimited with Verizon and it comes with Mexico for free.  The one issue I have had though is when I first get to Mexico sometimes it takes it a while to work.  Not sure what the issue might be.  It has prevented me from getting Uber.

• Like 2
Reuben

If you have an extra phone laying around and are in Mexico, I suggest getting a Telcel chip for about 70p from most OXXOs and then getting the pay-as-you-go Amigo plan.  For 200p/month, you get unlimited calls to/from US regardless of location plus unlimited WhatsApp, unlimited Facebook/Snapchat/Instagram in Mexico, plus 3GB data.  You can pay at any OXXO or pay using a credit card with their app. 

https://www.telcel.com/personas/telefonia/amigo/todavia-no-tienes-amigo#!tarifas

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Agreed 1
vegasrick
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Jefffffrey said:

I have unlimited with Verizon and it comes with Mexico for free.  The one issue I have had though is when I first get to Mexico sometimes it takes it a while to work.  Not sure what the issue might be.  It has prevented me from getting Uber.

my phone (T-MOBILE) is already roaming in san ysidro

Edited by vegasrick
  • Like 2
fappertalk
3 hours ago, amosrolling said:

I use google fi, $15/m, $10/GB data, works smoothly on both sides of the border, no switching or anything, pretty good signal so far within the last 2 years of using it. I think data cost is same in mexico or anywhere in the world (if they have coverage), phone call is $0.2/m or sth but I rarely make phone calls in MX so I don't care that much.

• Like 2
vegasrick
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, fappertalk said:

I use google fi, $15/m, $10/GB data, works smoothly on both sides of the border, no switching or anything, pretty good signal so far within the last 2 years of using it. I think data cost is same in mexico or anywhere in the world (if they have coverage), phone call is $0.2/m or sth but I rarely make phone calls in MX so I don't care that much.

using  T-MOBILE in Mexico I haven't paid any extra charges  yet,  (knock wood) 

Edited by vegasrick
  • Like 3
fappertalk
1 minute ago, vegasrick said:

using  T-MOBILE in Mexico I haven't paid any extra charges  yet  knock, wood  

yeah, I think google fi uses T-Mobile (in the states) too, and can automatically switch carrier if T-mobile service struggles. The other advantage is it has coverage globally and no switch is required for global travel so I went with google FI.

• Like 2
nonsensicalElixir

I'll jump on the T-Mobile train. It has served me well all over México.

I did try giving a SIM card years ago to Guadalupe de Tecate. It worked for a month or two before getting shut off. They now have policies which prevent long term usage in México.

I've hit the data cap and the throttling is still usable for music and YouTube.

• Like 5
Moose

I have ATT and when I cross the boarder to Mexico, it says Telcel on my screen. I have a $5.99 a month unlimited text and calling from USA to Mexico and vice versa. The only thing that sucks is that when my work tries to call me, they get the international honking ring tone and then joke around that I am fucking whores in Mexico and I have to play along with the joke, even though I am really in Mexico fucking whores. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 7
vegasrick
17 hours ago, nonsensicalElixir said:

I'll jump on the T-Mobile train. It has served me well all over México.

I've hit the data cap and the throttling is still usable for music and YouTube.

I believe the  data cap is 3gb then as you say they throttle you down I just buy the add-on 20gb for 15.00 bucks  

• Like 3
Jiriaya

I also use Google Fi. Although I have not ventured further inland than near the borders , I must say , I have had no issues with this service. It is relatively cheap - my bill averages 28-35 dollars a month because of data usage. The base plan is 20 dollars for calls and texts and 10 dollars a GB up to 6 gigs then they don't charge after that. FYI they will charge a percentage of gigabytes used , so keep that in mind.

My bill breakdown:

Calls & texts - $20.00

(1 person/1line)

Data - $3.48

(0.35 GB at $10/GB)

Taxes & regulatory fees - $4.80

TOTAL - $28.28

• Like 3
KCQuestor

I just switched to Google Fi today. I was on an unlimited plan with Sprint at $67 per month. After they got bought by T-Mobile I was technically still on "Sprint, by T-Mobile". I've had OK service in Mexico, but not great.

I've stuck with Sprint for almost 20 years now, because I got a discount though work and because their unlimited plan was the cheapest. But now that wifi is available so many places, I rarely use that much data. It's been years since I've come close to what any normal data cap would be, but I've stuck with the unlimited plan just so I didn't worry about it. But I looked at my last year, which included three trips to TJ, and the most I ever hit was 4GB in a month, with 1.5 being the average. With Google Fi I could pay $70 per month for unlimited, but if I go with the metered it's $20 plus $10/GB. So my average month would be $35-40 and my max would be $60. There's no throttling and if I hit 6GB ($80) then data is free.

I'm looking forward to my next trip.

• Like 8
soulcal
17 hours ago, Don Pisto said:

T-mobile!

Have been using them for years!

How much a month DP?

Greenman
Posted (edited)

I landed in mexico while visiting TJ for medical purposes....   just as the pandemic began, and with elderly family members with diabetes at home, and wanting to get away for awhile anyway, I decided to stay.  I was already sold on T Mobile because of their global plan after visiting Europe.   In the TJ Beaches area,  I landed at a 5 star AirBnB (as rated by airbnb users) that within 2 months became a month-to-month...   I had T mobile at the time, and about 7 months after I arrived, T Mobile started warning me my contract requires that I spend more time in the USA...  for several months now they have threatened to cut off my service unless I get back to the US... but I have convinced them not to, so far.  

So, I hold on to T Mobile, while using Wifi calling most of the time anyway...   So, I have kept T Mobile ... BTW if you're 50 (or is it 55)... or over, they have a "senior" plan  with unlimited voice and data for $50 a month.... add to that the international 1 + plan for $20 extra and you can travel the world on T mobile.  

Edited by Greenman
  • Like 2
smoothburnn
On 3/2/2021 at 11:01 AM, amosrolling said:

I know there are a lot of AT&T haters, but I have  been very happy with them for many many many years. With a Mexico plan, I can check all the boxes - inexpensive, good coverage, no roaming charges , etc, etc , etc.   AT&T works for me, but I’m sure several companies must be similar 

• Like 1
  • Agreed 1
Blazers

Best for what the OP asked is Google Fi or Metro PCS with TMobile with a Mexico plan.   If you go weekly this is the way to go.

TJX

I've had both T-mobile and Google Fi and they both worked pretty well in Mexico. I think Google Fi has a bit of an edge since it doesn't seem to switch over roaming and the towers across the border much like T-mobile did. Sometimes when I was close enough to the border my T-mobile phone would pick up a US tower and barely have a signal. Then it would disconnect and leave my phone looking for a signal and the battery would drain quickly. Google Fi doesn't seem to have that problem. 

I also like that I can use Google voice with Google Fi to send and receive text messages to Mexico without having to worry about changing the country code or any of that. 

sampson

I am quite happy using telcel and can call the United States text United States and of course do the same in Mexico. I have data everywhere and I believe I pay about 900 pesos per month for all my services. I even have my calls on my us landline number forwarded to my cell phone. In addition to this I normally get a free phone every 2 years and that phone is very good quality.

• Like 2
Blazers
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, TJX said:

I've had both T-mobile and Google Fi and they both worked pretty well in Mexico. I think Google Fi has a bit of an edge since it doesn't seem to switch over roaming and the towers across the border much like T-mobile did. Sometimes when I was close enough to the border my T-mobile phone would pick up a US tower and barely have a signal. Then it would disconnect and leave my phone looking for a signal and the battery would drain quickly. Google Fi doesn't seem to have that problem. 

I also like that I can use Google voice with Google Fi to send and receive text messages to Mexico without having to worry about changing the country code or any of that. 

Yes and works fantastically all over the world, even Myanmar.  My travel phone is a Google Pixel 3XL which is incredible for still photos and I use a Google Fi sim card.  Worked in Vietnam, Thailand, Colombia also perfectly.

Edited by Blazers
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.