Driving over avoids $30 6 mos visa?

Lucas

Thanks for the replies to my Q about walking over (entering mex) without valid passport (expired) and trying to acquire the visa. Passport offices are weeks out and I don’t want to wait... so can I avoid this Mexican customs encounter and mandate for the visa by driving over? (I hold sentri so re-entering won’t be a prob.) TIA

• Like 1

You might try walking over with your expired passport and see if they will do the 180 pass.  Just act like you didn't realize it was expired.  I can't imagine the Mexican agent turning you around and not pocketing $30.  

• Agreed 3
6 minutes ago, ChicagoBob said:

You might try walking over with your expired passport and see if they will do the 180 pass.  Just act like you didn't realize it was expired.  I can't imagine the Mexican agent turning you around and not pocketing $30.  

do they still allow a 7 day pass with just a drivers license

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Sometimes when you get the red light they ask to see your passport/passport card. I don't know what would happen if you didn't have it when asked. Very rare though, with hundreds of crossings I think I've only been asked for it 2-3 times.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, vegasrick said:

do they still allow a 7 day pass with just a drivers license

First the agents are pushing the $30 permit, or 590 pesos I believe.  No one should be allowed entry into Mexico with only a DL unless they are a Mexican National.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, KCQuestor said:

You'd think some entrepreneur would charge a bunch of guys $15 each to drive across.

Some people do this.

I wouldn't be comfortable doing it. You never know what someone may be bringing with them. For me, it wouldn't be worth the risk.

• Agreed 2
2 hours ago, sampson said:

I believe they charge $30 but I would not trust them. 

I wouldn't either, especially not for $30. But the way some guys whine about having to pay for a tourist card, you'd think they would do most anything to save a few bucks.