6 Mos visa for $30

Lucas

My passport expired. Haven’t applied for new one yet. I have valid sentri but past experience proved Mexico doesn’t care about sentri. Can the visa be issued without passport or on expired passport? TIA

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, sampson said:

The PERMIT needs to have a valid passport.

I wonder if they look at my passport or just copied the information off the old FMM believe it or not I don't remember  

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Lucas said:

My passport expired. Haven’t applied for new one yet. I have valid sentri but past experience proved Mexico doesn’t care about sentri. Can the visa be issued without passport or on expired passport? TIA

You can expedite your passport renewal.  I got mine in 2 days in San Diego.  If you're willing to put in the time you do it in 1  day in LA this was all pre-Covid of course. 

I made a color copy of my old passport before renewing.  Then took my receipt with me and copy of my expired passport walked through San Ysidro into TJ.  Then Mexican agents had no problem with it and didn't seem to care the slightest.

• Like 2
Just now, vegasrick said:

I wonder if they look at my passport or just copied the information off the old FMM believe it or not I don't remember  

I suppose the agent could do either but they always look at my passport.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, sampson said:

I suppose the agent could do either but they always look at my passport.

I can say for sure that they scanned the new card 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, soulcal said:

You can expedite your passport renewal.  I got mine in 2 days in San Diego.  If you're willing to put in the time you do it in 1  day in LA this was all pre-Covid of course. 

How? by going to an immigration office in person, pay extra?  How much exactly, if you remember it.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Dulla said:

How? by going to an immigration office in person, pay extra?  How much exactly, if you remember it.

Yes and the process was so simple, frankly I was surprised.  I believe it was $135 for the passport and $30 to expedite.  IIRC I had to show proof of international reservations which I simply made for the Ticuan then cancelled later.  No stupid questions or fussing about.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, tomjackin said:

Get a passport card...that works fine.

if the ready lane is not/never  coming back I may not even renew my passport card 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, vegasrick said:

if the ready lane is not/never  coming back I may not even renew my passport card 

What does the passport card has to do with the ready lane?  I mis to understand.  We get passport cards to ease the carrying but most of all to avoid the continual stamping of the passport book. 

• Like 1

The card is good for driving back in the ready lane, but now many passports or at least the new ones have the chip and are ready lane compliant.  I think many people do use the pass card when crossing to avoid a stamp.

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, vegasrick said:

I use the passport card to enter Mexico because I don't want to carry around my passport book.

When I leave, I use Sentri.

• Like 5
38 minutes ago, tomjackin said:

I use the passport card to enter Mexico because I don't want to carry around my passport book.

When I leave, I use Sentri.

I'm I little bit more economical I was trying to just buy one (passport which can be used in all conditions)  

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dulla said:

What does the passport card has to do with the ready lane?  I mis to understand.  We get passport cards to ease the carrying but most of all to avoid the continual stamping of the passport book. 

in my case I only use the passport card for returning to the u.s. in the ready lane as to stamping my passport they don't I use a FMM when entering mexico other than that I have no other land travel/crossing  which would make a passport card for me obsolete  

Edited by vegasrick
  • Like 2
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, vegasrick said:

n my case I only use the passport card for returning to the u.s. in the ready lane

So if you have a passport card you can use the ready lane, without it you can't? Maybe that is the knowledge I am missing.

update:- It seems I have my answer here, thanks @sampson :-  The card is good for driving back in the ready lane, but now many passports or at least the new ones have the chip and are ready lane compliant.  I think many people do use the pass card when crossing to avoid a stamp.

Edited by Dulla
  • Like 2
55 minutes ago, vegasrick said:

I'm I little bit more economical I was trying to just buy one (passport which can be used in all conditions)  

I look at it a bit differently. A passport card is only 30 bucks. I use it for all of my romps throughout Mexico.

My passport is too valuable to lose and I only use it when traveling outside of Mexico.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, tomjackin said:

I look at it a bit differently. A passport card is only 30 bucks. I use it for all of my romps throughout Mexico.

My passport is too valuable to lose and I only use it when traveling outside of Mexico.

when you say throughout Mexico  you mean I can walk around Oaxaca with just a passport card ?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, vegasrick said:

when you say throughout Mexico  you mean I can walk around Oaxaca with just a passport card ?

Yes, and it use it at the airports as well. All I carry in Mexico is the passport card and the FMM.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, vegasrick said:

I would think just a passport card would not be enough since it cannot be stamped for few days visit.  You would need a separate document indicating your visa, or a FMM.

I never used my card in TJ so I don't know what they give you when you cross for a few days.

Edited by Dulla
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, tomjackin said:

Yes, and it use it at the airports as well. All I carry in Mexico is the passport card and the FMM.

o.k. I though it could only be used at  land crossing  

• Like 2

I thought the passport card was for land crossings between the US and Mexico/Canada? Therefore, in Oaxaca, it would not work since you would be flying there. That's what I recall when I got it years ago, but of course in practice, it might be different.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Dr K said:

I thought the passport card was for land crossings between the US and Mexico/Canada? Therefore, in Oaxaca, it would not work since you would be flying there. That's what I recall when I got it years ago, but of course in practice, it might be different.

Membership in the SENTRI program allows you to reduce your wait times at designated ports of entry by:

• using dedicated processing lanes at southern land border crossings,
  • using NEXUS lane when entering the United States from Canada by land, and
  • using Global Entry kiosks when entering the United States by air.*

*Note: If you are a Mexican national in SENTRI, you must apply for Global Entry through your Trusted Traveler Programs account.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Dr K said:

Good point.  I did not know one cannot reach Oaxaca unless flying there, I checked the map and it is way down south.  The passport card can only be used for Land and Sea only crossings into Mexico.  You can use it to fly within Mexico together with a FMM card.  (It appears, you (may?) also use your US driver license or ID with FMM card to fly within Mexico)  You have to use a passport card or book for Banking purposes in Mexico.

Using a passport card you can only enter the US via land and sea ports only. For all other intents and purposes within the US the passport card can be used as a realID.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Dr K said:

I believe we are all hang up on using a passport card  for international travel  from country to country  for example  las Vegas to Oaxaca a passport card would not work  but  Tijuana  to Oaxaca a passport card  would work 

I think our good friend tomjackin is saying,   if you are already in mexico you  could use a passport card    just like any other form of  ID that would include using it for a domestic flight   Tijuana airport  to Monterrey airport  

Edited by vegasrick
  • Like 4
  • Agreed 1