Hero
Sign in to follow this  
Diggy

Is this an astronomical electric bill for a Mexico dweller?

Diggy

So today, this BT chica sends me a WhatsApp message with a picture of what appears to me to be a electric bill for a two month period for August and September together with a crying emoji!

Now, I don't know the first thing about mexico's utilities since I've never ever lived there and paid any local bills.

So I defer my questions to those in the know :-

#1. Is this a real electric bill as time and time again, I've read reports of some fellow mongers who live n TJ and paying just minuscule amounts for electricity?

#2. IMO, greater than 95% of Mexico's population or homeowners would not be able to afford a 10,000 peso electric bill for two months. Thats' like US$250 per month!!!

#3. Is it possible that this is not a residential electric bill but rather a electric bill for a place of business like a nightclub or something like that?

#4. Can anyone make out any other pertinent info from the attached picture, like what city is the person's residence??

Thankyou and sorry if the picture is not too legible!

Electric Bill.jpg

• Sad 1

PhordPhan

WTF?? 

This is a legit bill. Whether it's HER bill, or somebody else's, only you can tell. The address appears to be rather rural Sinaloa. I don't think it's a nightclub or bar. The address is somewhere in Ejido Flor Azul, Sinaloa.

Does she have one or more air conditioning units she runs all day? That's a ton of electricity for a non-AC small house or apartment.

I see that she paid 5,000 already, but had a previous balance of over 7,000. So this has been going on for a while, with the debt accumulating.

IIRC, Rocky the Flying Squirrel pays in the vicinity of 400mxn per month in temperate months. It climbs in the summer when she runs the fans, and in the winter when she runs the space heaters. I don't think I've ever seen it over 1,000mxn. Electricity, as in many "developing countries" is expensive in Mexico.

• Like 6

SDChargersFan

At least she was creative in asking for some $$$  Lol.  I know technically she didn't ask but she did.... :coverlaugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Reuben

Could be that a neighbor is tapping into the electricity, too. :(

Electric rates are tiered heavily in Mexico by use.  You can see at the top how the amounts jump for each amount of usage.

• Like 4

PhordPhan

I just verified that RtFS pays between 400 and 700 per billing cycle. 

• Like 2

Diggy
9 minutes ago, PhordPhan said:

I just verified that RtFS pays between 400 and 700 per billing cycle. 

Are billing cycles always a 'two-month' period?

Gracias!

GuntherMT

Unless I'm reading this wrong, there is also some sort of a government credit for 4260 pesos at the bottom, so the actual bill for 2 months is about 6000 pesos (the total bill is higher because of old unpaid bills carried forward), so about 3000 pesos per month.  Still, that's about $150 per month which seems pretty damn high for a Mexican worker to be able to pay.

The total usage for the 2 month period is 5008 (kWh I assume?) with 3208 of that being in the highest rate bracket and billed at 2.997 rate.

If that usage is kWh, then they are using an insane amount of electricity somehow.  I live in a 1650 sq. ft. house and keep the air conditioning set at 77 degrees all through the summer.  

My electricity used was 1209 kWh, but I do have a 6,000 watt solar array offsetting my on-peak usage, so it's hard to really track an accurate number for the total power consumption, but 2500+ per month seems exceedingly high to me.

• Like 1
  • Agreed 2

PhordPhan
35 minutes ago, Diggy said:

Are billing cycles always a 'two-month' period?

Gracias!

Yes.

• Like 2

Glenndejo

Ok

I think I posted on this a while ago

At the end of 2018, dec-Jan, I had a novia staying at my casa. I was in Sd sun night to fri night. It was a pretty cold winter. 
She also put a shitload of Xmas lights inside and outside and had them on for 7-8 hours a day.

In addition she was running a couple of those personal heaters, that are 1500 watts, all day and night.

When I received my bill in Feb, it was over $10,000 Mx!!!!! Wtf!!!!

I went to the CFE office to check and they said that’s what my bill was and didn’t explain anything.

I paid and figured my next bill would be less, it was, but it was $8000!!!! So I took my vecino with me to the CFE office to splain it all to me.

Well, there’s a limit on usage. When you’re under, you get a credit. When you go over, you lose the credit and you get dinged. Normal rate is .04 pesos per kw. Penalty is “4” pesos per kw. And, this goes on for a year. So I had to pay outrageous fees for a year. 

Now my bill is between $1000-2000 per two months

• Like 5

Limonado

This website can be used to look up historical electric bills in Mexico

https://app.cfe.mx/Aplicaciones/CCFE/SolicitudesCFE/Solicitudes/ConsultaTuReciboLuzGmx.aspx

5008 kWh of usage over two months is extremely high. The same period last year was a more reasonable but still high 2157 kWh. A small house is usually under 600 kWh a month and a large house is usually under 1100 kWh. 

Looks like previous bill usage was 4613 kWh compared to 1876 kWh the same period last year.

Screenshot_20201013-224605.png

Edited by Limonado
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

PhordPhan

Sure sounds like she was running some A/C units all month. 

• Like 1

Glenndejo

It’s also pretty common for vecinos to tap into and steal electricity

I heard you can check at night by turning off your power and see if other homes go dark. Or have CFE come and check too.

• Like 1

PhordPhan
12 minutes ago, Glenndejo said:

It’s also pretty common for vecinos to tap into and steal electricity

I heard you can check at night by turning off your power and see if other homes go dark. Or have CFE come and check too.

Now that would be funny! Go out and shut off your master switch. Suddenly the whole block goes dark! :rofl:Ayyy carrajo!!

• Haha 1

Glenndejo

And, they would probably all be pissed at you when you cut them off!

A friend years ago told me that when he lived in a lower income hood, there were several homes attached to his elec

• Like 3

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this