Hero
Sign in to follow this  
Carlafan

Food and Exercise Diaries, Apps, etc

SDChargersFan
On 9/25/2020 at 12:24 AM, Carlafan said:

I just calculated that the free breakfast I get from where I stay is between 750-780 calories. Yikes!!! If not for WebMd's food calculator, I wouldn't have even guessed this. Me being a cheapskate, I still might keep it...but then, what, eat minimal for the rest of the day? Well kinda yeah.

So I looked up food diary apps that have calorie calculators and trackers. I don't know which one is best since there's so many. 

I'd need an exercise app too since I do and don't really follow an exercise program. Maybe having an app will keep me in line.

Here's an example of a workout I did on Monday. I had zero time cause of that fucking line. But I have to make an appt. at my SD gym, though I know the owner and he cuts people slack. So I ran in and did: 5 sets, 10-12 kettlebell swings with 60 lbs; 2 sets of 10 kicks per leg on the heavy bag, done in between kettlebell sets; then to cool down, did alternate leg kicks, 5 each. It was barely an 8 minute workout and I was gassed the entire time. No air. But that's what I wanted.

Does anyone have any rec's for either type of app? This may well be the way for me to go to start losing weight again (although Chingavirus lockdowns didn't help. I jogged for a bit. But I do not jog in Mexico)

keep going bro...the best thing you're doing is realizing the need to be healthier.  anything is better than nothing so whether it's a few walks a day or a workout at the gym, just staying active is half the battle.  i think accountability helps a lot so if you have someone that you can go to the gym with or an amiga con derechas for the mattress mamba, that will help get keep you to your goals. 

it's easy to get keyed in on weight loss or body shape, etc but if you stay focused on the activity and what you're eating then the other stuff will come naturally. find something fun to do (other than sex...lol) like basketball, golf, surfing etc that gets your mind off 'exercise' because when you're having fun it doesn't seem like work.  i used to play a lot of basketball and sometimes at the local courts here i'll see someone shooting and ask if he'll play me one on one just to keep me on my toes.  the kids love to school the old guy and i'm okay with that.

with regards to diet.  lots of water.  staying hydrated makes you a bit less hungry.  drinking a lot between bites makes you eat less as you feel less hungry.   personally, i think you can eat whatever but it's the quantity of what you eat that is hurting a lot of folks.   yes, lucky charms and pizza are not a great diet and veggie smoothies and kale salads with chicken breast are better but life is short and you should enjoy foods in moderation....imho.  

my apple watch has helped me quite a bit with everything from exercise, movement in general and sleep patterns. i'm sure there are other options out there but i know mine has helped me track these things as much as i can.

best of luck and let us know how things are going.  i'm sure you can find an amigo here that will volunteer to help you with a workout routine or introduce you to a new amiga who can.

• Like 2

SDChargersFan
1 hour ago, Carlafan said:

Maybe I'll get a crock pot for my place,

Highly recommend InstaPot for those that don't have one.  Extremely versatile cookware.  Easy to clean, easy to make different dishes.  Less than $100 for the small/med size.  You won't regret it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

c-diddy
7 hours ago, Carlafan said:

I don't have any cookery at my place-just a blender. I don't want to attract attention with culinary skills. Maybe I'll get a crock pot for my place, make stews, teriyaki chicken, etc. That'll be way easier to get the protein than always buying it; and of course controlling the recipe as well.

Try a pressure cooker, serves the same purpose of a crockpot without the hours of waiting.  Simply by pressing a button such as meats, poultry, rice or porridge, it can make meals within an hour.  The Saute mode replaces that of a stove top so you can fry things as well with high walls so less oil splatter and little cleanup.  I usually make a week's worth of meals then throw the remainder in the freezer helping with food costs. The silicon ring for sealing the lid can retain flavor so steel cut oatmeal may smell a little like chicken but you can get extra silicon rings for different foods. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dulla
7 hours ago, SDChargersFan said:

find something fun to do (other than sex...lol) like basketball, golf, surfing etc that gets your mind off 'exercise' because when you're having fun it doesn't seem like work.

This is the glorious truth that I stand by.  Take 12 guys at my soccer pickup game last Thursday, every guy run until we couldn't in the hot afternoon sun for 1.5 hrs, 10 min break in between and some short water stops.  I love the game and being there for that moment I wouldn't trade for anything, even sex.  It was an absolute blast of a time. I dragged myself home to shower and slept it off the rest of the afternoon.

• Like 4

Moose
On 10/17/2020 at 7:50 AM, Dulla said:

This is the glorious truth that I stand by.  Take 12 guys at my soccer pickup game last Thursday, every guy run until we couldn't in the hot afternoon sun for 1.5 hrs, 10 min break in between and some short water stops.  I love the game and being there for that moment I wouldn't trade for anything, even sex.  It was an absolute blast of a time. I dragged myself home to shower and slept it off the rest of the afternoon.

Where are you playing socker pick up games? I thought this was illegal. 

• Like 1

Dulla
7 minutes ago, Moose said:

Where are you playing socker pick up games? I thought this was illegal. 

We wear masks.  You can imagine how that would be, down on the chins most of the time.  We check for body temp with a scanner and limit to 12 persons and wear masks (although that is more for show than anything) My Gym is open, I was there for the first time Yesterday.  Limited number of people at a time, temperature checked, wiping after and before use, also masks on strictly enforced. This applies to free weights (although I avoided that area for now)  I have weak right quads after injury and so need to train those.  They say no charge until end of Nov.

Edited by Dulla
  • Like 1

Jefffffrey
On 9/25/2020 at 12:28 PM, El Oso said:

Eat lots of Grapefruit!!   Take Spirulina about 3000 mgs per day!!   This will make you feel great!!

Oso, have you ever tried natto?  I won't go into it but look up natto artery health or vitamin k2-mk7 artery health.  If you have never tried it natto has the consistency of slimy boogers and tastes like gym shoes after a game in a hot gym.  That being said it grows on you.

• Like 1

Moose
5 hours ago, Dulla said:

We wear masks.  You can imagine how that would be, down on the chins most of the time.  We check for body temp with a scanner and limit to 12 persons and wear masks (although that is more for show than anything) My Gym is open, I was there for the first time Yesterday.  Limited number of people at a time, temperature checked, wiping after and before use, also masks on strictly enforced. This applies to free weights (although I avoided that area for now)  I have weak right quads after injury and so need to train those.  They say no charge until end of Nov.

OK. Where do you play? 

Carlafan
5 hours ago, Jefffffrey said:

Oso, have you ever tried natto?  I won't go into it but look up natto artery health or vitamin k2-mk7 artery health.  If you have never tried it natto has the consistency of slimy boogers and tastes like gym shoes after a game in a hot gym.  That being said it grows on you.

I got the supplement nattokinase as separate from natto, though they did have the same vitamin benefit.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/natto#TOC_TITLE_HDR_4

Edited by Carlafan
  • Like 1

Jefffffrey
10 hours ago, Carlafan said:

I got the supplement nattokinase as separate from natto, though they did have the same vitamin benefit.

That makes sense because it is a putrid tasting food.  At least at first.  I have actually gotten to like it.  Kind of like when you first taste blue cheese some people think it is disgusting but some begin to like it.  

Jefffffrey
10 hours ago, Carlafan said:

Your article is interesting because it doesn't even talk about the vitamin k2  (used to be called vitamin x) that has been shown to direct calcium from where it does not belong (artery walls and cartilage) to where it belongs (bones).  There are studies showing it is one of the few nutrients that can reverse arthelrascorosis.  Anything that clears arteries is good for amigos.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4566462/

• Thanks 1

Dulla

My Doc advised me everything I eat will have to be processed by the liver, including supplements.  The more natural organic foods I eat the better for Liver health.  I will stop here and let you all take a point.

• Like 1

Jefffffrey
49 minutes ago, Dulla said:

My Doc advised me everything I eat will have to be processed by the liver, including supplements.  The more natural organic foods I eat the better for Liver health.  I will stop here and let you all take a point.

Agreed.  That's why I eat natto every day, just like millions of Japanese.

• Like 1

Gringo Sin Ropa

In general the diet guidelines I try to live by are:

-There is no such thing as perfection, just making better decisions. Just keep adjusting as you learn more and you get to know how your body responds. 

-Plenty of water. It amazes me how many people barely drink water. It protects your organs and has all kinds of other benefits. 

-Don't eat fast food, if I want to cheat on my diet and have a burger I go to a mom and pop place that serves real food, fast food has all kinds of crazy shit in it. 

Avoid anything made with white flour, it has no nutritional value and acts as an inflammatory or even a toxin in the body. 

Avoid sugars, especially high fructose but really all sugar besides sugar from eating fruit (not fruit juice though its super high in sugar). 

Avoid sodium. Its crazy how often this is overlooked. Even so called healthy restaurants and healthy pre-packaged foods are full of sodium. 

Alcohol is IMO the worst thing for a diet. Leads to bloating, lowers testosterone, proteins don't absorb etc, etc. 

Eat lots of vegetables and different varieties, dark leafy greens especially. 

Protein: Shakes are fine here and there but no substitute for real food. I have met many guys who rely to much on protein shakes and used to be one until I was told that the body cannot use protein from shakes the same as food it has to break down and digest, a portion of the protein from shakes will simply pass into the digestive track and not be used. Protein from lean sources such as salmon, chicken breast and turkey is best. 

For exercise, well there are a million different ways depending on your goals. What has worked best for me as far as weight loss is fasted cardio. I am now doing an hour of cardio on a treadmill before I eat anything in the morning. I would expect  that most people would get good results with 20-45 mins of fasted cardio keeping their heart rate in the fat burning zone (depends on age, easy to look up online).  Faster cardio as well as sticking to my diet has helped me shed 40 pounds since the beginning of this year. 

Also, some of what I said maybe fall into the "bro science" category and I did pick up a lot of this from friends at the gym but these guidelines have given me results when I have stuck to them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Bubby
17 minutes ago, Gringo Sin Ropa said:

In general the diet guidelines I try to live by are:

-There is no such thing as perfection, just making better decisions. Just keep adjusting as you learn more and you get to know how your body responds. 

-Plenty of water. It amazes me how many people barely drink water. It protects your organs and has all kinds of other benefits. 

-Don't eat fast food, if I want to cheat on my diet and have a burger I go to a mom and pop place that serves real food, fast food has all kinds of crazy shit in it. 

Avoid anything made with white flour, it has no nutritional value and acts as an inflammatory or even a toxin in the body. 

Avoid sugars, especially high fructose but really all sugar besides sugar from eating fruit (not fruit juice though its super high in sugar). 

Avoid sodium. Its crazy how often this is overlooked. Even so called healthy restaurants and healthy pre-packaged foods are full of sodium. 

Alcohol is IMO the worst thing for a diet. Leads to bloating, lowers testosterone, proteins don't absorb etc, etc. 

Eat lots of vegetables and different varieties, dark leafy greens especially. 

Protein: Shakes are fine here and there but no substitute for real food. I have met many guys who rely to much on protein shakes and used to be one until I was told that the body cannot use protein from shakes the same as food it has to break down and digest, a portion of the protein from shakes will simply pass into the digestive track and not be used. Protein from lean sources such as salmon, chicken breast and turkey is best. 

For exercise, well there are a million different ways depending on your goals. What has worked best for me as far as weight loss is fasted cardio. I am now doing an hour of cardio on a treadmill before I eat anything in the morning. I would expect  that most people would get good results with 20-45 mins of fasted cardio keeping their heart rate in the fat burning zone (depends on age, easy to look up online).  Faster cardio as well as sticking to my diet has helped me shed 40 pounds since the beginning of this year. 

Also, some of what I said maybe fall into the "bro science" category and I did pick up a lot of this from friends at the gym but these guidelines have given me results when I have stuck to them.

I think this is a great list. I have followed most of this list since the first week of February. It started as an effort at the Keto diet, and I believe your list parallels that, especially with avoiding all sugars. You didn't mention carbs, but your list doesn't preclude avoiding carbs.

I don't know if I ever entered ketosis or not because when I peed on a test strip it seemed inconclusive. I just stuck with the principles of keto which included most of your list. I have lost 35 pounds since February 4. I'm a short guy, so that was a significant loss. I just make sure I read labels in the grocery and avoid bread, potatoes, rice and anything starchy. I eat plenty of protein including meats, eggs, and cheeses. I'm not big on cooked veggies, but I eat plenty of raw veggies and salads. I don't eat much fruit, and drink zero juices. I never have been much of a dessert guy, but I sometimes like a piece of sugar free dark chocolate or candy.

I do almost exactly what you said as far as exercise. A high level strenuous one hour cardio 5-6 days per week sometime around 11 AM. I drink water before but I don't eat until after my workout and shower, usually around 2-2:30 PM. This is my big meal of the day. I've followed @sampson's plan of avoiding eating after 6, and I have given up sodas at least 95% of the time. For me, it's always water or unsweetened tea.

Thanks for posting this. I've avoided posting about my weight loss because, as @sampson mentioned, I don't want to jinx it and end up putting the weight back on. I also want to thank him, as well as @Dullafor his Keto information. So far it's made a huge difference for me and my overall health.

• Like 7

Gringo Sin Ropa
2 hours ago, Bubby said:

I think this is a great list. I have followed most of this list since the first week of February. It started as an effort at the Keto diet, and I believe your list parallels that, especially with avoiding all sugars. You didn't mention carbs, but your list doesn't preclude avoiding carbs.

I don't know if I ever entered ketosis or not because when I peed on a test strip it seemed inconclusive. I just stuck with the principles of keto which included most of your list. I have lost 35 pounds since February 4. I'm a short guy, so that was a significant loss. I just make sure I read labels in the grocery and avoid bread, potatoes, rice and anything starchy. I eat plenty of protein including meats, eggs, and cheeses. I'm not big on cooked veggies, but I eat plenty of raw veggies and salads. I don't eat much fruit, and drink zero juices. I never have been much of a dessert guy, but I sometimes like a piece of sugar free dark chocolate or candy.

I do almost exactly what you said as far as exercise. A high level strenuous one hour cardio 5-6 days per week sometime around 11 AM. I drink water before but I don't eat until after my workout and shower, usually around 2-2:30 PM. This is my big meal of the day. I've followed @sampson's plan of avoiding eating after 6, and I have given up sodas at least 95% of the time. For me, it's always water or unsweetened tea.

Thanks for posting this. I've avoided posting about my weight loss because, as @sampson mentioned, I don't want to jinx it and end up putting the weight back on. I also want to thank him, as well as @Dullafor his Keto information. So far it's made a huge difference for me and my overall health.

As far as carbs, I do avoid eating a lot of carbs especially simple carbs. Eliminatring all products with white flour as an ingredient takes a lot of these carbs out of my diet. I also avoid bread and if I do eat any bread it will be wheat, never white. 

I used to be much more into heavy weight lifting and was much bigger and back then I needed carbs or I couldn't power through the workouts so I would eat a lot of sweet potatoes, yams and to a certain extent white rice. Now that I am focused on just being healthy and lean I don't need too many carbs in my diet. 

• Like 6

Dulla
7 hours ago, Bubby said:

I don't know if I ever entered ketosis

You know you are in ketosis if you passed the lethargy phase, (keto flu) It is a really heavy lethargy with brain fog, loss of energy, unable to move with ease, laying somewhere like you are fainting. Usually lasts a day or two initially for me.  Also there are other signs past this point, you will notice you are unusually energetic, you don't get hungry as often, sleep long and deep like babies, experience vivid pleasant dreams, suddenly your cloths become too big for you, feel happier, even dark winter days seem brighter, less #2 bathroom trips,  however you also notice you are not as powerful if you are used to heavy lifting before, this is initially and if you keep at it comes back in time.

If you do blood work test after say 3 Months you will also see significant changes. if you had high A1C results before you notice it went down a chunk, your cholesterol may go higher, you may also notice your testosterone hikes up.

Edited by Dulla
  • Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this