Hero
Sign in to follow this  
Carlafan

Food and Exercise Diaries, Apps, etc

Carlafan

I just calculated that the free breakfast I get from where I stay is between 750-780 calories. Yikes!!! If not for WebMd's food calculator, I wouldn't have even guessed this. Me being a cheapskate, I still might keep it...but then, what, eat minimal for the rest of the day? Well kinda yeah.

So I looked up food diary apps that have calorie calculators and trackers. I don't know which one is best since there's so many. 

I'd need an exercise app too since I do and don't really follow an exercise program. Maybe having an app will keep me in line.

Here's an example of a workout I did on Monday. I had zero time cause of that fucking line. But I have to make an appt. at my SD gym, though I know the owner and he cuts people slack. So I ran in and did: 5 sets, 10-12 kettlebell swings with 60 lbs; 2 sets of 10 kicks per leg on the heavy bag, done in between kettlebell sets; then to cool down, did alternate leg kicks, 5 each. It was barely an 8 minute workout and I was gassed the entire time. No air. But that's what I wanted.

Does anyone have any rec's for either type of app? This may well be the way for me to go to start losing weight again (although Chingavirus lockdowns didn't help. I jogged for a bit. But I do not jog in Mexico)

• Like 7

ElHefe

You ever give fasting a shot? I dropped 32 pounds over the summer with Keto and fasting. Breakfast at Noon and dinner at 3 or 4.

As far as apps, I didn't use one, I just walk after work every evening. A few of my friends have really recommended Couch to 5K though

• Like 4

Trav
1 hour ago, ElHefe said:

You ever give fasting a shot? I dropped 32 pounds over the summer with Keto and fasting. Breakfast at Noon and dinner at 3 or 4.

As far as apps, I didn't use one, I just walk after work every evening. A few of my friends have really recommended Couch to 5K though

Am doing this plus a green tea pill in the morning.  Avoiding sugar is hard since it is everywhere.  Unsweetened iced tea or cold water with a lemon...

• Like 5
  • Agreed 1

Jakesnake
7 hours ago, Carlafan said:

I just calculated that the free breakfast I get from where I stay is between 750-780 calories. Yikes!!! If not for WebMd's food calculator, I wouldn't have even guessed this. Me being a cheapskate, I still might keep it...but then, what, eat minimal for the rest of the day? Well kinda yeah.

So I looked up food diary apps that have calorie calculators and trackers. I don't know which one is best since there's so many. 

I'd need an exercise app too since I do and don't really follow an exercise program. Maybe having an app will keep me in line.

Here's an example of a workout I did on Monday. I had zero time cause of that fucking line. But I have to make an appt. at my SD gym, though I know the owner and he cuts people slack. So I ran in and did: 5 sets, 10-12 kettlebell swings with 60 lbs; 2 sets of 10 kicks per leg on the heavy bag, done in between kettlebell sets; then to cool down, did alternate leg kicks, 5 each. It was barely an 8 minute workout and I was gassed the entire time. No air. But that's what I wanted.

Does anyone have any rec's for either type of app? This may well be the way for me to go to start losing weight again (although Chingavirus lockdowns didn't help. I jogged for a bit. But I do not jog in Mexico)

Continual discharge of massive amounts of protein down the throat of hot TJ Chicas will cut back on the need to constantly track calorie intake ... :07:

• Haha 3

Dulla
3 hours ago, ElHefe said:

Your program will rid you from so much weight, fast.  For me at the end not losing too much weight became a challenge in this format. I wanted to stay around 160, a weight I have not had since I was 15 years old and that was difficult.  At one point I got to 154, that is when I stopped the fasting part.  Funny thing my body wants the keto+fasting format,  when on the Keto diet it is tough to gain weight anyway.  Now I eat 3 times a day and manage to keep my weight between 158 and 160. I still don't touch sugar and the carbs are very occasional. I found out if I eat too much carbs and starch now weird things happen to me, first I get joint pain in my hands, weird I know. I also become lethargic.  So the carbs are very occasional.  Keto changed me for good I think.  Just did blood work and everything is in pristine condition.

• Like 6

El Oso

Eat lots of Grapefruit!!   Take Spirulina about 3000 mgs per day!!   This will make you feel great!!

• Like 5

moso

Extended fasting is not fun, but it will get you past a point where you are not losing weight.  Initially intermittent fasting and low carbohydrate intake works really well.  Also, in the beginning you will experience lethargy as well as not being able to focus when you eliminate grains and carbohydrates.  Don’t fret because this goes away.  You need ways of coping because you will feel like you can eat the bark off of a tree.  Sitting at home in front of a computer near a refrigerator is not helpful. The Waves of hunger always subside after about two hours.  Hormones Gherlin and Leptin.  A key fact to understand is that when insulin levels are low fatty acids are able to leave adipose cells.  Once insulin levels rise things can only enter and not exit the adipose cells.  That is why you want to eat larger meals less often.  If you snack your body rarely achieves low insulin levels.

Also, intense short bouts of exercise that work type 2 muscle fiber expend much more energy than low intensity exercise.

Grains contain three bad things.  Gliadin proteins, amylopectin A, and gluten.  Amylopectin A is a sugar that is absorbed rapidly.  It also contributes to chronic inflammation.

a few years ago I lost about 60 pounds of weight.  The first 30 in the first month.  I later hit a plateau and needed the extended fasting to push past those barriers.  It does wonders for your perception of yourself and you feel better.  During extended fasting your body is basically using your own fat for energy. Too much intake of protein will be converted to glycogen and stored in your liver.  Ensure that when you eat that you eat until you are satiated.  Otherwise your metabolism will drop after a while.  It is best to either eat enough and then eat nothing until your next meal.  This is something you will refine over time.  A work in progress.  I am typing this on a tablet, so I will clarify any questions on my laptop later.

Edited by moso
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Agreed 2

Carlafan

If I fast for a 16/8 ratio-16 hrs fast, 8 hrs eat-, I may need ginseng, green tea, matcha, etc to keep my energy levels up. Wait, rewind...I would most likely fast during sleep hours. That will make it all easier.

How will that affect my workouts?

Edited by Carlafan
  • Like 1

Jefffffrey
6 minutes ago, Carlafan said:

If I fast for a 16/8 ratio-16 hrs fast, 8 hrs eat-, I may need ginseng, green tea, matcha, etc to keep my energy levels up. Wait, rewind...I would most likely fast during sleep hours. That will make it all easier.

Believe it or not, I have fasted 40 hours and lifted heavier than before (although little indurance).  Most people get a human growth pulse after fasting for a full day.

• Thanks 1

Carlafan
2 minutes ago, Jefffffrey said:

Believe it or not, I have fasted 40 hours and lifted heavier than before (although little indurance).  Most people get a human growth pulse after fasting for a full day.

Whoa. I do remember when trying Keto a few years ago that my Li'l Seargent was awake in the morning before I was more often. Probably due to the foods I was eating as well-more minerals, etc.

Maybe increased fat metabolism would help with endurance.

Moose

Heck, whatever happened to going to Big 5 and buying some running shoes, walking out your front door and start running?  When you guys fast all day, how do you fall asleep with the hungry feeling? 

• Like 1

Jefffffrey
On 9/25/2020 at 10:02 PM, moso said:

Extended fasting is not fun, but it will get you past a point where you are not losing weight.  Initially intermittent fasting and low carbohydrate intake works really well.  Also, in the beginning you will experience lethargy as well as not being able to focus when you eliminate grains and carbohydrates.  Don’t fret because this goes away.  You need ways of coping because you will feel like you can eat the bark off of a tree.  Sitting at home in front of a computer near a refrigerator is not helpful. The Waves of hunger always subside after about two hours.  Hormones Gherlin and Leptin.  A key fact to understand is that when insulin levels are low fatty acids are able to leave adipose cells.  Once insulin levels rise things can only enter and not exit the adipose cells.  That is why you want to eat larger meals less often.  If you snack your body rarely achieves low insulin levels.

Also, intense short bouts of exercise that work type 2 muscle fiber expend much more energy than low intensity exercise.

Grains contain three bad things.  Gliadin proteins, amylopectin A, and gluten.  Amylopectin A is a sugar that is absorbed rapidly.  It also contributes to chronic inflammation.

a few years ago I lost about 60 pounds of weight.  The first 30 in the first month.  I later hit a plateau and needed the extended fasting to push past those barriers.  It does wonders for your perception of yourself and you feel better.  During extended fasting your body is basically using your own fat for energy. Too much intake of protein will be converted to glycogen and stored in your liver.  Ensure that when you eat that you eat until you are satiated.  Otherwise your metabolism will drop after a while.  It is best to either eat enough and then eat nothing until your next meal.  This is something you will refine over time.  A work in progress.  I am typing this on a tablet, so I will clarify any questions on my laptop later.

This is basically what I did to lose 80 pounds.  Now I usually only fast one day a week.  Maybe two, but for 3 months or so I would fast Sunday, Monday, and Thursday.Except for exercise I only walked.

• Like 1

Jefffffrey
1 minute ago, Moose said:

Heck, whatever happened to going to Big 5 and buying some running shoes, walking out your front door and start running?  When you guys fast all day, how do you fall asleep with the hungry feeling? 

For me the hunger comes in waves.  Sleeping was never an issue.  The 8pm,to 10 pm,was hard though.  Those burger king and popeyes adds.

Jefffffrey
4 minutes ago, Moose said:

When I got to 250# I started running.  Heavier than that was too hard on knees and hips.

• Like 1

Dulla
On 9/26/2020 at 11:31 PM, Carlafan said:

You will definitely lose power.

• Agreed 1
  • Sad 1

Dulla
On 9/26/2020 at 11:46 PM, Moose said:

I have a housemate.  He walks 10 miles every other day. He is around 250 and obviously overweight. He tells me he has been trying for a long time to shade weight and if he did not do the walking he would mount to around 300lbs. We keep our food separated in the fridge, he takes one side and mine is all on the other side.  When you see what we eat, his is all pre-made or processed food in packages, lots of sweetened yogurt, Cereals, milk, ice-cream, seed oils, bananas, grapes, slice bread, jams, table sugar. When you see what I have in the fridge and elsewhere you see lots of unprocessed food, frozen uncooked organic meats, chicken, fish,lots of green leaves, coconut water, plain full-fat yogurt, nut flours, sardines, onions, garlic, avocados, home baked nut bread, eggs, Coffee, etc.... He also eats out mostly, yes mostly.  I rarely do that.

Edited by Dulla
  • Like 6

c-diddy
On 9/26/2020 at 11:46 PM, Moose said:

There are a few sayings that relate to diet, "you can't out-exercise a bad diet" and "abs are made in the kitchen."  So, exercise is great but to lose weight it needs to be combined with a sound long term eating plan.  "Intermittent fasting" is potentially going hungry all morning aside from coffee, which supresses hunger.  I've found that I'm more alert in the morning without the food coma often experienced after a full meal.  I think it's how we evolved, humans need to be alert in order to catch food then become more at ease once securing a meal.   

As for the original question, I don't have any specialized apps for diet but I do use Google Sheets which I can edit on my phone.  I've setup the spreadsheet for running daily and monthly caloric averages.  It's easy to track when preparing varations of the same base diet every day.  Then, for auto entries I have a bluetooth weight scale which comes with an app sycing to Apple Health, Fitbit and Google.  Also, a blood pressure monitor that sends to its own app then syncs with Apple Heath.

Edited by c-diddy
  • Like 5

Carlafan
6 hours ago, Dulla said:

I have a housemate.  He walks 10 miles every other day. He is around 250 and obviously overweight. He tells me he has been trying for a long time to shade weight and if he did not do the walking he would mount to around 300lbs. We keep our food separated in the fridge, he takes one side and mine is all on the other side.  When you see what we eat, his is all pre-made or processed food in packages, lots of sweetened yogurt, Cereals, milk, ice-cream, seed oils, bananas, grapes, slice bread, jams. When you see what I have in the fridge and elsewhere you see lots of unprocessed food, frozen organic meats, chicken, lots of green leaves, coconut water, nut flours, sardines, onions, garlic, avocados, home baked nut bread, eggs, etc.... He also eats out mostly, yes mostly.  I rarely do that.

Same with a coworker. He's about 27-28 years old and brings in Doritos, Chex Mix, Lipton ice tea, etc. He eats those big Cup of Noodles bowls every day. He also still lives at home and mom fixes his food for him when he doesn't eat McDonald's, Jack in the Box, etc. He looks very swollen, has a bad attitude all the time, and is really overweight. Can we say issues?

Contrast that with my 77 year old coworker who varies his diet but for break time always has a yogurt and one slice of 12 grain toast. He always drinks powdered greens in the morning. He's somewhat fixed in his food but will vary. He never eats out. And we have the same energy.

My diet is far from perfect but last night I didn't eat any carbs. I ate Italian sausage cooked in tomato sauce with onion, garlic, and portobello mushrooms. Steamed broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots on the side. No butter or seasoning. I figure lots of sodium with the sausage which is another thing I need to watch out for.

Edited by Carlafan
  • Like 3

Carlafan

So any advice, tweaks, etc is more than welcome here...

There is one day when I'm in Tj where I consciously do my best to lower my carbs. Prob not sodium. I'm still learning, trying, etc.

After breakfast, which I make the higher-carb one on gym days, I'll buy a whole chicken from Soriana. I love Hawaiian bbq sauce but the only mainland makers are the white bottle people. It's high in sugar. So okay, a concession. Later on, I'll snack on pistachios and almonds, both salted. I still buy the salad I made a thread on, and now I just use olive oil, white vinegar, and a dab of salt. I eat the whole chicken in 2 separate sittings. 

I discovered that Soriana has a low-carb chocolate almond milk that's real good, so I'll mix in 1 scoop of Syntha-X Choc no-carb protein powder. That's sorta my dessert.

Too much protein? I know too much sodium, which is why my gym shirt has a white halo on it now.

• Like 1

Trav

Additional advice: try Intermittent Fasting - no breakfast til noon and no eating after 6 pm.   I try to stick to the Desayuno Ranchero - scrambled eggs with beef (hold the rice) at Azul then a caldo de pollo a few hours later or a salad and antipasto at Guiseppes . . .  You might want to try taking  a Green Tea weight loss pill (bottle available at Walmart) along with it.  Lots of agua natural con gas with sliced lemon in place of sugary drinks.

Edited by Trav
  • Like 3

c-diddy
42 minutes ago, Carlafan said:

Too much protein? I know too much sodium, which is why my gym shirt has a white halo on it now.

The bro-science handbook suggests 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass (usually 80% of body weight).   So if you're a heavyweight, then yea it's just about right if you're in the gym often.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Carlafan
28 minutes ago, Trav said:

Additional advice: try Intermittent Fasting - no breakfast til noon and no eating after 6 pm.   I try to stick to the Desayuno Ranchero - scrambled eggs with beef (hold the rice) at Azul then a caldo de pollo a few hours later or a salad and antipasto at Guiseppes . . .  You might want to try taking  a Green Tea weight loss pill (bottle available at Walmart) along with it.  Lots of agua natural con gas with sliced lemon in place of sugary drinks.

I try not to eat past 9pm cause my gym time is in that time frame you mentioned. So eating hours get extended. But first meal is about 12:30pm or so.

I ate the way I mentioned last week and I had a headache from low carbs. This week I didn't. So maybe my body is getting used to it.

Will I need more or any carbs on gym days other than breakfast? I do work out pretty long-min. 90 minutes-and the gym is hot. Little circulation-there are windows-but I love it.

I do notice my clothes are looser...

Carlafan
22 minutes ago, c-diddy said:

The bro-science handbook suggests 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass (usually 80% of body weight).   So if you're a heavyweight, then yea it's just about right if you're in the gym often.  

I don't have any cookery at my place-just a blender. I don't want to attract attention with culinary skills. Maybe I'll get a crock pot for my place, make stews, teriyaki chicken, etc. That'll be way easier to get the protein than always buying it; and of course controlling the recipe as well.

Trav
52 minutes ago, Carlafan said:

I try not to eat past 9pm cause my gym time is in that time frame you mentioned. So eating hours get extended. But first meal is about 12:30pm or so.

I ate the way I mentioned last week and I had a headache from low carbs. This week I didn't. So maybe my body is getting used to it.

Will I need more or any carbs on gym days other than breakfast? I do work out pretty long-min. 90 minutes-and the gym is hot. Little circulation-there are windows-but I love it.

I do notice my clothes are looser...

I'm no diet expert - if you want to lose weight with no willpower involved, do a backcountry backpack hike for a week or two where there are no fast food restaurants or grocery stores around - you'll lose 20 pounds asap.  YMCA used to have the backpack trips to Yosemite . . . cheapest worst tasting camping food included - you'll lose weight rather than eat that crap.  The YMCA guide in charge gets filet mignon type food - the rest of the hikers live on bargain basement generic store brand leftovers from the discount grocery stores.  You'll lose weight guaranteed.

Edited by Trav
  • Like 2

Carlafan
2 minutes ago, Trav said:

I'm no diet expert - if you want to lose weight with no willpower involved, do a backcountry backpack hike for a week or two where there are no fast food restaurants or grocery stores around - you'll lose 20 pounds asap.  YMCA used to have the backpack trips to Yosemite . . . cheapest worst tasting camping food included - you'll lose weight rather than eat that crap.

I did think about walking from Centro to Galerias again like I did a couple years ago. I did it for shits and giggles but also to see how far I could go. I got to Galerias and thought "yeah I'm good". Got a ride back.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this