Hero
Surfer 123

Sonora highway carjacking

Surfer 123

A gringo friend of mine had his truck and trailer carjacked at gunpoint on Sunday.  He had 2 guys I know that work for him driving the truck and trailer to San Carlos when they got passed by a Tahoe and had ak47's pointed at them and were told to pull over.  They then were instructed to drive way out in the desert away from the road.  The scumbags then searched them and one of their wives and took everything, phones, wallet, money, ID's etc.  The wife was hysterical and she and one of the others were told to start walking and not to look back and if they did they would kill them.  The scumbags kept the husband and searched him further thinking he had money hidden in his shoes.  The wife thought they were going to kill her husband but after further searching him they told him to walk and follow the other 2. 

So they were walking but realized they were walking West towards the ocean and needed to walk East back towards the road but they were too afraid to turn around.  After a while when they thought it was safe they did turn around and off in the distance the Tahoe was driving back towards them.  They thought they were all dead.  The Tahoe got close and threw 2 small bottles of water out the window and then left.  They then walked for 2 hours until they got to the road and were able to get a ride to Caborca.  They had no money or ID's or phones and thus could not get on a bus back to town.  So one of my friends drove to Caborca and picked them up.  Needless to say they were lucky but are still a bit worried as the scumbags have their IDs and they were told not to report the carjacking.  Truck was insured but trailer was not.

Fucking scumbags :Uzi:

Edited by Surfer 123
  • Like 1
  • Sad 16

organicAlo

Fuck, that's crazy..

• Agreed 1
  • Sad 1

Don Pisto

@Surfer 123, I plan to take My chica's Madre from Mexicali to Puerto Penasco, Sonora the week before Thanksgiving. 

I drive a 2009 Honda Pilot. 

I plan to pick up Madre in Mexicali around 0900 then take MEX-2, to the 197-turn-off (toll road) to MEX-3 into Puerto Penasco, arriving between 12 noon and 1300.

Then return the same way (in reverse sequence) after 3 days. Same time frame.

What precauctions should I take??? If any?

• Like 2

chamoy
21 minutes ago, Don Pisto said:

@Surfer 123, I plan to take My chica's Madre from Mexicali to Puerto Penasco, Sonora the week before Thanksgiving. 

I plan to pick up Madre in Mexicali around 0900 then take MEX-2, to the 197-turn-off (toll road) to MEX-3 into Puerto Penasco, arriving between 12 noon and 1300.

Buy some steel plates from Home Depot and rivet them onto your Pilot? On the inside if you're worried about aesthetics.

• Haha 2

Diggy
24 minutes ago, Don Pisto said:

Take some pepper spray and fake hand grenades with you!

Diggy
54 minutes ago, Surfer 123 said:

A gringo friend of mine had his truck and trailer carjacked at gunpoint on Sunday.  He had 2 guys I know that work for him driving the truck and trailer to San Carlos when they got passed by a Tahoe and had ak47's pointed at them and were told to pull over.  They then were instructed to drive way out in the desert away from the road.  The scumbags then searched them and one of their wives and took everything, phones, wallet, money, ID's etc.  The wife was hysterical and she and one of the others were told to start walking and not to look back and if they did they would kill them.  The scumbags kept the husband and searched him further thinking he had money hidden in his shoes.  The wife thought they were going to kill her husband but after further searching him they told him to walk and follow the other 2. 

So they were walking but realized they were walking West towards the ocean and needed to walk East back towards the road but they were too afraid to turn around.  After a while when they thought it was safe they did turn around and off in the distance the Tahoe was driving back towards them.  They thought they were all dead.  The Tahoe got close and threw 2 small bottles of water out the window and then left.  They then walked for 2 hours until they got to the road and were able to get a ride to Caborca.  They had no money or ID's or phones and thus could not get on a bus back to town.  So one of my friends drove to Caborca and picked them up.  Needless to say they were lucky but are still a bit worried as the scumbags have their IDs and they were told not to report the carjacking.  Truck was insured but trailer was not.

Fucking scumbags :Uzi:

Your friends were extremely lucky since 9 out of 10 times they shoot or mutilate the victims!

Next time, if ever, travel in a caravan of trucks & cars!

• Agreed 2

Surfer 123
22 minutes ago, Don Pisto said:

You'll be fine as that is a well traveled road which I drive regularly.  I just try to avoid driving it at night which doesn't always work out.  Just watch the potholes and sand on the road on the El Golfo/Penasco section.  Where are you planning on getting on Mex-2?  I head to the Mexicali airport and then head towards Mex-2 from there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Diggy

@Surfer123: just curious what might have happened if your friend's truck had a dashboard cam?

Those cameras can be accessed remotely on a smartphone or PC!

• Like 2

Surfer 123
12 minutes ago, Diggy said:

@Surfer123: just curious what might have happened if your friend's truck had a dashboard cam?

Those cameras can be accessed remotely on a smartphone or PC!

Good question I am going to text him and ask now!

• Like 3

Don Pisto

@Surfer 123, I cross into Mexicali from Calexico then proceed to my chica's Madre's casa--she lives near the Ley Market Jueven 2000 park area. 

after I pick her up, we drive East until we hit one of the main roads out of town towards San Felipe--I know, it's crazy, confusing AF, but we always seem to make it to MEX-2.-cuota.

Then to San Luis Rey and to 197 corte to Golfo and then onto Penasco.

Hey, you are right, this is a heavily traveled route, so, I suppose, should be ok!

Thanks amigos!

• Like 4

Surfer 123
40 minutes ago, Surfer 123 said:

Good question I am going to text him and ask now!

Nope no dash cam.  This happened just outside of La Y Griega which has a bad reputation as years ago a bunch of cartel morons shot up the police station.  This little junction La Y Griega is on the road to Caborca, that whole area is a shit show of cartel killing people and each other.  Not sure why this cartel stuff made the news on a Nevada site but this gives an idea as to what is going on in that area.

https://dailynewsnevada.com/this-is-how-things-are-in-sonora/

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

Limonado

Was this in the daytime?

c-diddy
2 hours ago, Surfer 123 said:

Tahoe was driving back towards them.  They thought they were all dead.  The Tahoe got close and threw 2 small bottles of water out the window and then left. 

Odd how the theives had the decency to give them some water before departing. 

• Like 1

Diggy
40 minutes ago, Surfer 123 said:

Nope no dash cam.  This happened just outside of La Y Griega which has a bad reputation as years ago a bunch of cartel morons shot up the police station.  This little junction La Y Griega is on the road to Caborca, that whole area is a shit show of cartel killing people and each other.  Not sure why this cartel stuff made the news on a Nevada site but this gives an idea as to what is going on in that area.

Sounds to me that Sonora is becoming a " no man's land"!!

There were a rash of auto thefts by armed sicarios in the VIP gas station in Santa Ana.

So things in Sonora are in step to become the new Guanajuato.

• Sad 2

GuntherMT
2 hours ago, Surfer 123 said:

Was wondering where in Sonora, so thanks for this additional info.  South of Puerto Penasco and inland is definitely not somewhere I would drive if I had a choice.  Really sucks that Mexicans have to deal with this kind of bullshit.

• Thanks 1
  • Agreed 3
  • Sad 2

Surfer 123
11 hours ago, Limonado said:

Was this in the daytime?

Yes, middle of the afternoon.

• Thanks 1

huatulco

I'm not sure why folks drive that route knowing what's going on.  For example, I don't rent a boat, motor out to the middle of the Pacific Ocean and go swimming with the sharks.  Same with a snake pit full of rattlesnakes. 

• Like 3

Surfer 123

My friend called his insurance company, Qualitas, and the guy he spoke to was pissed.  He said they have had 5 customers of theirs carjacked in the same general area just in the past week.  The insurance guy said they have had similar incidents stemming from Sonoyta to Caborca, La Y Griega and eveything in between those places, so traveling to Hermosillo, San Carlos and Kino Bay is risky at the moment.  He also said that Qualitas is trying to get the military to step up their patrols in the area with more crews.  I was planning on heading to San Carlos in October but now that may change.  Fuckers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

Don Pisto
1 hour ago, Surfer 123 said:

My friend called his insurance company, Qualitas, and the guy he spoke to was pissed.  He said they have had 5 customers of theirs carjacked in the same general area just in the past week.  The insurance guy said they have had similar incidents stemming from Sonoyta to Caborca, La Y Griega and eveything in between those places, so traveling to Hermosillo, San Carlos and Kino Bay is risky at the moment.  He also said that Qualitas is trying to get the military to step up their patrols in the area with more crews.  I was planning on heading to San Carlos in October but now that may change.  Fuckers.

Did the Agent mention anything unusual about the MEX-2 or MEX-3 route from Mexicali to Puerto Penasco? by chance???

Since I won't attempt this drive, if there are so many car-jackings going on even in the areas!

Thanks @Surfer 123

• Agreed 1

Surfer 123
2 hours ago, Don Pisto said:

Did the Agent mention anything unusual about the MEX-2 or MEX-3 route from Mexicali to Puerto Penasco? by chance???

Since I won't attempt this drive, if there are so many car-jackings going on even in the areas!

Thanks @Surfer 123

No no mention of anything going on in the area between Mexicali and Penasco.  I may be headed to Penasco next week and will take the same route I always do Mexicali-San Luis-ElGolfo-Penasco.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Diggy

Is there such a thing as a crime blog in MX?

These are blogs or weekly news bulletins created by the authorities to warn travellers of trouble spots on the highways.

• Like 1

Don Pisto
3 hours ago, Surfer 123 said:

No no mention of anything going on in the area between Mexicali and Penasco.  I may be headed to Penasco next week and will take the same route I always do Mexicali-San Luis-ElGolfo-Penasco.

Keep us posted amigo!

huatulco
13 hours ago, Don Pisto said:

Keep us posted amigo!

I am reminded of that movie War Dogs.  Our protagonist and his compadre are driving their truck full of handguns through Iraq to the US Army.  

Who shows up to save the day?  Dick Cheney's guys in Humvees and an attack Helicopter! 

• Like 4

Blazers
On 9/15/2020 at 11:31 AM, Don Pisto said:

Your preparation is not to go.   Its not too far of a drive but that region has narcos and an old gringo driving an old Mexicana is a ripe target.

• Like 1
  • Agreed 3

Don Pisto
44 minutes ago, Blazers said:

Your preparation is not to go.   Its not too far of a drive but that region has narcos and an old gringo driving an old Mexicana is a ripe target.

Ok, thanks @Blazers, noted!!!!!!!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.