Hero
moso

Bay to TJ

moso

I am recently divorced and slightly over 50.  I have TJ experience from the late 80s and a one day trip in about 2006.  I have more experience with the street and an obscure Molino bar.  I am likely to move down to try and fix my fiscal problems as the Bay up north will just consume the remaining resources that I have.  I speak spanish well, but not fluently.  I am thinking about working online as I was laid off from my software job in February.   My passport will expire at the end of December. 

I have perused Facebook housing pages such as "RENTA de CUARTOS en TIJUANA $1500" and "Renta de Casas y Departamentos"  in addition to craigslist and airbnb.  Most likely I will rent a room on airbnb and look at what is available on the ground.  I bought Zac Friedman's 2018 "The Complete Guide to Moving to Tijuana" which is helpful.  There is a lady youtuber "Living in Playas Tijuana, .." who has a lot of useful information about paying water, cell bills etc.  There are some others who are not so useful.

I noticed that CarlaFan and Sampson reside down south.  I really appreciate the info that you guys post.  The mongers have a hobby which highly motivates them to gather intel.   Do you guys use a PO box in SD?  Again thanks :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

chunking

For starters, renew your passport. You're supposed to have at least 180 days left on your passport to enter Mexico, though the San Ysidro crossing is pretty lax about this.

TJ does have prices lower than the US side, but it's the highest cost of living area in Mexico.  Have a look at Tecate or Mexicali, prices are lower.

• Like 1
  • Agreed 1

Dulla
1 hour ago, moso said:

the Bay up north will just consume the remaining resources that I have.

The Bay area...

open-jaws-of-white-shark.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Reuben

We have a dedicated subforum to housing in TJ here: https://www.tijuanatalk.net/forum/27-housing/

As to mail, I know a few Amigos who keep a post office box in San Ysidro at one of the commercial places.  Some of us use the actual post office in San Ysidro (not convenient if you don't drive) or even further up in San Diego.

There is also a service here in Tijuana that gives you a US address but they bring the mail directly into TJ.  @Surfer 123 (who also lives in TJ) posted about it a while ago:

• Like 7

moso

@Reuben Thanks for the info about the mail service, that would be very useful.  I am thinking that I really want to limit my border crossings.

• Like 3

Surfer 123
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Reuben said:

We have a dedicated subforum to housing in TJ here: https://www.tijuanatalk.net/forum/27-housing/

As to mail, I know a few Amigos who keep a post office box in San Ysidro at one of the commercial places.  Some of us use the actual post office in San Ysidro (not convenient if you don't drive) or even further up in San Diego.

There is also a service here in Tijuana that gives you a US address but they bring the mail directly into TJ.  @Surfer 123 (who also lives in TJ) posted about it a while ago:

That PO Box company is now located on 7th street just East of Constitucion.  As far as rentals...I know of a 2 bedroom/2 bath in Centro for $500 a month on the 2nd floor of a building that has been remodeled apparently to gringo standards.  Street parking only as far as I know.

A buddy of mine just moved South of Puerto Nuevo into a beach front high rise that is super deluxe and is paying roughly $1,800 for a penthouse which is saving him $13k a month from a mortgage so he is happy as a clam.

Edited by Surfer 123
added info
  • Like 6

Carlafan

If any of my and others' crossing nightmare stories have shown anyone, get your Sentri. Right now is a nightmare cause of PedWest being closed and the whole pandemic border situation. But it'll help tremendously, period.

• Like 3

moso

@chunking I most likely will submit my passport for renewal so that I might receive it within the next few months.  I have heard that there is a bit of variance in the processing time depending upon which site it is forwarded to and their current level of operation. 

@Carlafan I have heard the same for Global Entry which would have been useful earlier this year.

@Surfer 123  @ReubenI need to be below or closer to the $500 / 10,000 pesos for a while.  The Facebook group with 1,500 refers to pesos and yields information about what the locals with less resources are paying for housing.  I just sold my 3/5 wetsuit and the last of one of my 6'4" boards which I have not used in a long time.     

@Dulla I used to get freaked out when I surfed in Santa Cruz at night that I would meet that fate.  I had a small seal nip me once and I about lost it.

The current mess with the Federal Reserve's new programs and huge balance sheet increases is pretty scary.   About 3 Trillion in a few months with purchase of stocks.  It is informative to listen to interviews with Richard Werner who wrote "Princes of the Yen" which was recently made into a documentary and is available on youtube for free.  You can learn about what happened to the BOJ Bank of Japan as well as the Asian currency crisis in 97.  He also talks about us bailing out the hedge fund long term capital shortly after the Asian financial crisis and that the two investment banks that objected were allowed to fail in 2008.  Lehman brothers and Bear Sterns.  The current pandemic is convenient for the Fed which started intervening in September of 2019.  

• Like 1

vegasrick
On 8/11/2020 at 12:47 PM, chunking said:

For starters, renew your passport. You're supposed to have at least 180 days left on your passport to enter Mexico, though the San Ysidro crossing is pretty lax about this.

TJ does have prices lower than the US side, but it's the highest cost of living area in Mexico.  Have a look at Tecate or Mexicali, prices are lower.

he might not be able to take the heat in the summer and the cold in the winter (Calexico) 

• Like 3

smoothburnn
On 8/11/2020 at 12:33 PM, moso said:

My passport will expire at the end of December. 

On 8/11/2020 at 12:47 PM, chunking said:

For starters, renew your passport. 

On 8/14/2020 at 12:17 AM, moso said:

@chunking I most likely will submit my passport for renewal so that I might receive it within the next few months.  

smoothburnn

I was trying to say Renew Your Passport NOW

• Like 1

moso

sent my passport application today.  It always worries me when I send my passport in the mail.  I have done this in the past for expediting visas and it always causes me anxiety.

• Agreed 2
  • Sad 3

Sargon
1 hour ago, moso said:

sent my passport application today.  It always worries me when I send my passport in the mail.  I have done this in the past for expediting visas and it always causes me anxiety.

Me too.  That's part of the reason why I have three passports: two books and a passport card.  Also Global Entry.  I don't want to be without the ability to travel.

• Like 2

chunking

I put in a renewal for my Global Entry the instant I could -- a year before it expires. That was 7 months ago, and the state department is still sitting on it. Just Saying. It's fortunate that CBP now gives you a 1 year grace period for expired Global Entry cards, but still, it's like living in a developing country. 

• Like 2

Mermaid Searcher

What’s the current status of CBP Senti interviews? Are they allowing appointments to be scheduled and actually moving forward however slowly?

• Like 1

DavezPlace
23 hours ago, Mermaid Searcher said:

What’s the current status of CBP Senti interviews? Are they allowing appointments to be scheduled and actually moving forward however slowly?

In April, 2019, I applied for my step-son’s SENTRI card. In June, 2020, we received conditional approval. I immediately went online to schedule the interview: Feb 2021 was the soonest appointment available.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Norcalkid
On 8/19/2020 at 9:22 PM, chunking said:

I put in a renewal for my Global Entry the instant I could -- a year before it expires. That was 7 months ago, and the state department is still sitting on it. Just Saying. It's fortunate that CBP now gives you a 1 year grace period for expired Global Entry cards, but still, it's like living in a developing country. 

Thanks for the heads up, I'll do mine this week.  

• Like 2

Norcalkid

I applied this week, It's been approved online 3 or 4 days.  Obviously don't have new card yet though. 

• Like 2

boyy_nexxtdoor
On 8/11/2020 at 12:33 PM, moso said:

I am recently divorced and slightly over 50.  I have TJ experience from the late 80s and a one day trip in about 2006.  I have more experience with the street and an obscure Molino bar.  I am likely to move down to try and fix my fiscal problems as the Bay up north will just consume the remaining resources that I have.  I speak spanish well, but not fluently.  I am thinking about working online as I was laid off from my software job in February.   My passport will expire at the end of December. 

I have perused Facebook housing pages such as "RENTA de CUARTOS en TIJUANA $1500" and "Renta de Casas y Departamentos"  in addition to craigslist and airbnb.  Most likely I will rent a room on airbnb and look at what is available on the ground.  I bought Zac Friedman's 2018 "The Complete Guide to Moving to Tijuana" which is helpful.  There is a lady youtuber "Living in Playas Tijuana, .." who has a lot of useful information about paying water, cell bills etc.  There are some others who are not so useful.

I noticed that CarlaFan and Sampson reside down south.  I really appreciate the info that you guys post.  The mongers have a hobby which highly motivates them to gather intel.   Do you guys use a PO box in SD?  Again thanks :)

Hi! I used to live in Hayward, now im in Vegas! Did u work in Silicon Valley? Good luck in your TJ move

• Like 1

Dulla
On 8/18/2020 at 7:37 PM, Sargon said:

Me too.  That's part of the reason why I have three passports: two books and a passport card.  Also Global Entry.  I don't want to be without the ability to travel.

Three? how is it you got 2 books?  One has expired?

• Like 1

Norcalkid

I have my new card, approved online in 2/3 days.  Received card in the mail about 3 weeks later.    (I had no changes on my renewal app, not sure if that's why mine was so much faster)

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.