Hero
Erip

Info re Mexico/Guatemala Border?

Erip

If anyone has or comes upon any information indicating a prospective time table for the border to be reopened between Guatemala and Mexico (most specifically Estado Chiapas), please respond or send me a PM.

I've mentioned previously that my ex-novia split TJ about 8 years ago and has been operating a small tienda near the border in Chiapas selling women's clothing manufactured in Guatemala.  She's been desperate for a couple of months due to the border being closed in connection with the Covid-19 crisis, even though Chiapas has been minimally impacted compared to almost every other Mexican state. However, at least a couple of other MX states border Guatemala and may have been more impacted than Chiapas.  I don't know what the impact in Guatemala is.  She is unable to make her routine trips to Guatemala to purchase new merchandise to sell at her store.  She'll probably end up back in TJ if the situation doesn't change at least before TJ reopens to where she could find work in a maquiladora or other work.  A couple of weeks ago she was so desperate she told me she was going to try to cross into the U.S. sin papeles.  I talked her out of it telling her she wouldn't make it across and even if she does, it's not like there's a world of economic opportunity waiting for her here.  Basically her planned adventure would be more likely to worsen her situation than improve it.  Oh yeah, she's got 3 daughters and a mom to take care of.  I've been helping her out a little (amazing how poquito=mucho to her), but I have no desire to get involved with her again.

I'm just hoping and praying the Guate border will soon reopen so she can stay put and do what she was doing successfully enough, all things considered.  With her business functioning, she is much better off remaining in Chiapas than coming back to TJ.  I am not finding information on the web about the timetable for reopening this border.  I'll be extremely grateful if anyone has any information about that border's status and can let me know.

• Like 5

tomjackin
15 hours ago, Erip said:

I'm just hoping and praying the Guate border will soon reopen so she can stay put and do what she was doing successfully enough, all things considered.  With her business functioning, she is much better off remaining in Chiapas than coming back to TJ.  I am not finding information on the web about the timetable for reopening this border.  I'll be extremely grateful if anyone has any information about that border's status and can let me know.

I Skype with my teacher from Guatemala 2-4 times a week. The international airport is shut down, and even travel within the country is not allowed. Their regs are some of the strictest in Central/South America.

I was in Antigua last December and there were hundreds of street vendors all over town...no more for a while.

All I can suggest, is to wait things out.

20191221_161856.jpg

20191221_164020.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Erip
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tomjackin said:

I Skype with my teacher from Guatemala 2-4 times a week. The international airport is shut down, and even travel within the country is not allowed. Their regs are some of the strictest in Central/South America.

I was in Antigua last December and there were hundreds of street vendors all over town...no more for a while.

All I can suggest, is to wait things out.

20191221_161856.jpg

20191221_164020.jpg

Ugh, terrible news but mega-muchas gracias @tomjackin for coming through with it!  And from reviewing a few recent posts in another thread I see my impression that Chiapas is not much impacted is wrong -- or has changed dramatically in the last few weeks.  A month ago they had 5 cases mas o menos statewide and just 1 in her puebla.  A couple of weeks ago one of the state by state breakdowns had it up to about 50 cases, but the data posted here from a few days ago has it well over 2,000.  Plus some trolls have made the situation worse by posting social media pleas for the people to rise up against the medical establishment with the assertion that Covid-19 is 100% hoax made up by the government - it doesn't exist and the government is intending to kill people hospitalized with a fake pandemic.  I don't know if this is purely malignant travieso that the social media originators think is funny, pure anarchy or what?  There have been a few disturbing quasi-violent protests outside of hospitals by people who are buying into this including one in my ex's home puebla when they had fewer than a handful of Covid hospitalizations.  Dr.'s and Nurses have been attacked.  The state is surviving only by grace of remittances, so it looks like I'll be obliged to continue mine for at least another 2-3 months.

Edited by Erip
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

tomjackin

It's very sad what is happening in Central America right now. Guatemala have been using the flag system for a couple of months now...with no light at the end of their tunnel.

Here is part of the flag story:

"White flags first began to appear on the streets of Guatemala City in early April shortly after quarantine was imposed in the village of Patzún, where the country’s first cases of community-transferred coronavirus were detected.

Since then, flags have become common across the country, with an entire lexicon of need reflected in their colors: white means hunger; red is for medicine; black, yellow, or blue means that a woman, child or elderly person is in danger of violence."

Peru is also using the flag system.

It's pretty sad world wide!

• Like 1
  • Agreed 1
  • Sad 9

Carlafan

I just spoke with someone I know from Chiapas. As far as she knows, it's 100% closed. She hasn't kept too tight a watch on it from here, but yeah as far as she knows from speaking with friends and family...cerrado. No timetable on opening.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 6

Robxolo
Posted (edited)
On 6/8/2020 at 6:17 PM, tomjackin said:

It's very sad what is happening in Central America right now. Guatemala have been using the flag system for a couple of months now...with no light at the end of their tunnel.

Here is part of the flag story:

"White flags first began to appear on the streets of Guatemala City in early April shortly after quarantine was imposed in the village of Patzún, where the country’s first cases of community-transferred coronavirus were detected.

Since then, flags have become common across the country, with an entire lexicon of need reflected in their colors: white means hunger; red is for medicine; black, yellow, or blue means that a woman, child or elderly person is in danger of violence."

Peru is also using the flag system.

It's pretty sad world wide!

I agree with Tom here, although it has gotten a bit better.  My entire family is from Guate (Mazate and Guatemala City), and from what they have told me is that the restrictions are still tight, but mostly in Guate (capital).  My cousin in Mazate (small city) has said that mostly everything is up and running, but there is a strict curfew once 5 or 8pm hit depending if its during the week or weekend.  I also have family in San Pedro SM, and they have also said that the situation is not too bad.  That said per PrensaLibre (like the NY Times of Guate), the central and northern region are really struggling, and also reaching border town like Malacatan. https://www.prensalibre.com/ciudades/san-marcos/coronavirus-tension-en-malacatan-donde-pobladores-intentan-romper-cordon-sanitario-en-uno-de-los-accesos/

Edited by Robxolo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

Robxolo

https://www.prensalibre.com/guatemala/comunitario/coronavirus-en-guatemala-asi-lucen-las-calles-durante-el-toque-de-queda-en-todo-el-pais/?utm_medium=SocialEcho&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1592776414

Unfortunately its getting worse. I read on Saturday there were close to 40 deaths in 1 day, which is high considering the past weeks  10 or 20 deaths a day was the norm.  Also doesn't help Guate is pretty uneducated and ignorant.  The cartoon is mocking 2 municipios/towns that held local beauty pageants and photos circulating no one was distancing and hardly anyone had masks. Cartoon jokes which town is going to win the "Covid" pageant.

Screenshot_20200622-084952_Facebook.jpg

• Sad 4

Erip
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Robxolo said:

https://www.prensalibre.com/guatemala/comunitario/coronavirus-en-guatemala-asi-lucen-las-calles-durante-el-toque-de-queda-en-todo-el-pais/?utm_medium=SocialEcho&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1592776414

Unfortunately its getting worse. I read on Saturday there were close to 40 deaths in 1 day, which is high considering the past weeks  10 or 20 deaths a day was the norm.  Also doesn't help Guate is pretty uneducated and ignorant.  The cartoon is mocking 2 municipios/towns that held local beauty pageants and photos circulating no one was distancing and hardly anyone had masks. Cartoon jokes which town is going to win the "Covid" pageant.

Screenshot_20200622-084952_Facebook.jpg

Thank you for the intel.  It has become incredibly worse on the Mexican side, Chiapas and Tabasco have been spiking in new cases and deaths relative to the populations over the last couple of weeks, and my ex's puebla seems ridiculously hard hit.  She has new tragedies to report almost every day - she's lost an uncle and a cousin and a few neighbors over the last several weeks.  This region of Central America/Southern Mexico are in the deep Tropics and the spike actually coincides with the arrival of oppressive heat, humidity and monsoon rains in May - so we can take a dump on T&*!p's "hunch" that the virus is seasonal and will fly north for the hot months or actually is under excellent control forever.  I've even heard some reputable doctors opine that hot weather will not eradicate the virus, but will "possibly" knock the starch out of it's power punches, leaving it much less potent through the cooler autumn months.  Guess not.  Turns out this is not the flu!  Who knew?

Another significant factor in the southern Mexico/Guate region is a deadly combination of ignorance and lack of government resources to assist on the most basic levels of need.  The ignorance of what I posted previously, trolls in league with Diablo posting that Covid 19 is 100% a government fraud (not that AMLO seems overly alarmed), and those who are hospitalized will be killed by the government - and encouraging protests at hospitals and even physical attacks on the few medical professionals that locations like this have on hand to provide testing, relief and treatment...and at least a  few hundred have followed the instructions of the conspiracy theorists on Chiapas social media and have attacked doctors and nurses...talk about a thankless job.  The ex also tells me there are no professionals to haul the sick safely to hospitals - very few ambulances.  So her neighbors have been leaving the elderly patients to die at home -  righteously fearful of moving them into vehicles and taking them in for help.  Social Distancing?  She hasn't addressed it but I'd be betting on FAGETABOUTIT! :fat_face_no:  Her FB page still filling up each week with pics and videos of birthday parties and Mariachi fiestas.  Considering the lack of medical resources it sometimes feels as if they'll be better off partying while they wait for Armageddon. 

Edited by Erip
  • Sad 6

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.