Hero
Sign in to follow this  
BCA684

Flying out of Tijuana during Border Shut Down

BCA684

Has anyone flown out of Tijuana since the Border Shut Down?  I'd need a tourist visa since I'm not a Mexican Citizen.  What forum should I post this in?  None really seem to fit.  

I'd be going to Monterrey to visit a friend.  Obviously not essential travel.  Anyone have any ideas what kind of essential business I could say I'm on if the question should come up?

Reuben

Medical travel is permitted last I checked.  Get your friend down in Monterrey to make an appointment with some doctor down there for you so you have a verifiable reason if questioned.  Be sure to have the doctor's name and contact info with you.

You will need an FMM which you should be able to get at the airport with your full passport book.  They don't accept the passport card for flying.  Of course I've read quite a few people say they've flown within MX without anything other than a drivers license or passport card and they didn't get an FMM because they were already within the country.

The easier thing to do might be to have your friend fly up here and book in at the Ticuan for a few days.

• Like 4

tomjackin
38 minutes ago, BCA684 said:

Has anyone flown out of Tijuana since the Border Shut Down? 

I thought about doing the same through CBX, but then I got this message from the CEO:

Dear Passengers,

We would like to take this opportunity to send you our warm regards and reiterate that your safety is our top priority. That is why we recommend that you follow the instructions of the appropriate authorities and stay at home when possible. If you must travel for an essential reason, CBX is still open and will continue to operate to facilitate your travel needs.

CBX continues operating in accordance with federal policies and procedures of the United States and Mexico, in compliance with the instructions issued to combat the COVID-19 pandemic by the World Health Organization. Therefore, and until further notice, CBX continues to limit northbound travel to those traveling for essential reasons. "Non-essential" includes travel that is considered tourism or recreational in nature.

In addition, CBX will suspend northbound operations (Tijuana to San Diego), from midnight to 8 a.m. daily, beginning May 10, in alignment with air service schedule changes at the Tijuana International Airport. Our southbound operation (San Diego to Tijuana) will continue to operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week. For up-to-the-minute information please visit our website www.crossborderxpress.com and/or social networks.

We also recommend that you stay in close communication with your airline; regularly check the status of your flight and stay informed of any other important security measures you may need to comply with.  It is important you plan for additional travel time to avoid any setbacks.

These are uncertain and difficult times, many plans have been postponed or cancelled and many challenges have risen along the way. However, we are confident that once we move past this, we will be stronger than before and ready to once again share with you great travel experiences. For the time being, we will continue to abide by the necessary measures and stay at home orders that have been put in place so that we may soon be reunited. Thank you for your trust, we are in this #TogetherStepByStep.

Sincerely,

Jorge Goytortua Bores
Cross Border Xpress CEO

• Like 3

vegasrick
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BCA684 said:

Has anyone flown out of Tijuana since the Border Shut Down?  I'd need a tourist visa since I'm not a Mexican Citizen.  What forum should I post this in?  None really seem to fit.  

I'd be going to Monterrey to visit a friend.  Obviously not essential travel.  Anyone have any ideas what kind of essential business I could say I'm on if the question should come up?

right now a lot of flights on sale  tijuana to mexico city

Edited by vegasrick
  • Agreed 2

vegasrick
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Reuben said:

Medical travel is permitted last I checked.  Get your friend down in Monterrey to make an appointment with some doctor down there for you so you have a verifiable reason if questioned.  Be sure to have the doctor's name and contact info with you.

You will need an FMM which you should be able to get at the airport with your full passport book.  They don't accept the passport card for flying.  Of course I've read quite a few people say they've flown within MX without anything other than a drivers license or passport card and they didn't get an FMM because they were already within the country.

The easier thing to do might be to have your friend fly up here and book in at the Ticuan for a few days.

you should not  need a fmm if you are already in mexico flying out of tijuana airport

Edited by vegasrick
  • Like 1

BCA684
Just now, vegasrick said:

would you still need a fmm if you are already in mexico flying out of tijuana airport?

I think the FMM is a tourist visa.  I've flown out of Tijuana twice and they asked me for my tourist visa both times.  When you buy your airline ticket they automatically charge you for a visa.  Both times I flew, I already had a current visa that I got at the San Ysidro Port of Entry so I had to go through some extra steps to decline the visa when I bought the airline ticket.  

If you don't already have a visa and didn't buy one with your airline ticket, you can buy one at the airport.  They cost around 30 dollars last time I got one.  

I'm pretty sure Mexico requires a visa if you travel more than a certain distance from the border.  I can't remember whether it's 25 miles or 50 miles.  There's an exception for Ensenada.  You don't need to buy the 30 dollar visa if you drive down to Ensenada.  

• Like 2

Triflow69
Posted (edited)

An FMM is required at the airport but they don't always check for it. Sometimes you can get away with not having one.

They have a nice little scam on gringos. If your trip is a week or less then a free 7 day FMM is sufficient. But they don't provide the free ones at the airport, only the 6 month paid one. So you're forced to pay the $30 even if you're just taking a quick weekend trip.

So when I'm taking a 7-day-or-less trip, i get the free one at the border as I'm driving across. Or sometimes I just ignore it altogether and don't get one at all, and hope they don't check.

Edited by Triflow69
  • Like 2

TJX
13 hours ago, vegasrick said:

you should not  need a fmm if you are already in mexico flying out of tijuana airport

I've flown out of Tijuana many times and they have never checked flying out. Its when you are coming back when they check at the airport through the immigration module right before you pick up your luggage. Also rarely I've had the Federal Police at the Mexico City airport check papers for some passengers flying out to Tijuana. They checked my Visa and passport. 

Sometimes they don't check when coming back through the Tijuana airport. I was given a warning years ago when I didn't have one and they seem to have a system to keep track if they catch you without one.

• Like 2

PhordPhan
17 hours ago, BCA684 said:

If you are flying out of the TJ airport you will not be asked WTF are you doing in this country, gringo? Or anything similar. It's "possible" you may be asked at the border. Some have reported being questioned when walking across although this seems very rare. I've driven across four times since the lockdown and have never even been stopped.

If you cross at CBX I suppose it's possible they will ask you why you're traveling, but I suspect not. If you cross at CBX you will have the option of getting a free 7 day FMM or purchase a 180 day FMM. Otherwise the 7 day FMM is only available at land crossings.

If you cross at Otay and go to the airport, once at the airport you'll be OK.

I have flown several times from TIJ and somebody always checked for possession of an FMM. Regardless, it's safer to just have one. You don't want to go through the hassle of checking luggage, standing in lines, etc., etc., only to be turned away at passport control, or the gate, or somewhere, and made to go get one. If $30 is enough to ruin one's trip, one should reconsider going in the first place. :D

There are no restrictions, either at CBX or the border, for citizens returning into the USA. That is considered essential travel by CBP.

• Like 1

Triflow69

TJX is correct it is when you return to TJ right before baggage claim that there might be an agent checking for FMMs. They racially profile non-Mexican looking people and ask to see your FMM.  I've never been asked to present an FMM when flying out of TJ.

vegasrick
16 hours ago, BCA684 said:

I think the FMM is a tourist visa.  I've flown out of Tijuana twice and they asked me for my tourist visa both times.  When you buy your airline ticket they automatically charge you for a visa.  Both times I flew, I already had a current visa that I got at the San Ysidro Port of Entry so I had to go through some extra steps to decline the visa when I bought the airline ticket.  

If you don't already have a visa and didn't buy one with your airline ticket, you can buy one at the airport.  They cost around 30 dollars last time I got one.  

I'm pretty sure Mexico requires a visa if you travel more than a certain distance from the border.  I can't remember whether it's 25 miles or 50 miles.  There's an exception for Ensenada.  You don't need to buy the 30 dollar visa if you drive down to Ensenada.  

thanks dude you learn something new everyday I never took a flight out of tijuana airport all my flights was las vegas to mexico city I only chimed in because the visa you get/included with your airline ticket looks the same as the 6 month visa I buy walking in at san Ysidro 

• Like 1

vegasrick
2 hours ago, TJX said:

I've flown out of Tijuana many times and they have never checked flying out. Its when you are coming back when they check at the airport through the immigration module right before you pick up your luggage. Also rarely I've had the Federal Police at the Mexico City airport check papers for some passengers flying out to Tijuana. They checked my Visa and passport. 

Sometimes they don't check when coming back through the Tijuana airport. I was given a warning years ago when I didn't have one and they seem to have a system to keep track if they catch you without one.

on return trips the airlines do more policing than immigration they will not let you on the plane if you do not turn in your fmm visa   

• Agreed 1

Gringo Sin Ropa

I flew out of TJ to Zihuatenejo in March. I was already in TJ before my flight so I did not use the CBX entrance. On the flight back I went back into TJ to stay a few more days. I was not asked about a visa at any point during my trip. When I first flew out of TJ I asked one of the Volaris workers where to get one and she said something about "over there, over there" but I didn't understand where she was talking about so said fuck it and figured I would just pay for one if needed. 

TJX
9 minutes ago, vegasrick said:

on return trips the airlines do more policing than immigration they will not let you on the plane if you do not turn in your fmm visa   

I think you might be confusing national flights with international ones. I've never had an airline ask for an FMM to fly within Mexico. A lot of times I just give them my CA driver's license and they are fine with that. 

vegasrick
1 hour ago, TJX said:

I think you might be confusing national flights with international ones. I've never had an airline ask for an FMM to fly within Mexico. A lot of times I just give them my CA driver's license and they are fine with that. 

yes correct i never took a in country flight I was talking about international  (someone ask about international flights)

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this