Hero
Sign in to follow this  
Gringo Sin Ropa

Hotel Jatay

Gringo Sin Ropa

I stayed last week in Hotel Jatay which is located in Playas de Tijuana. The address is:

Playas de Tijuana Sección Monumental Av. Del Pacifico #560 Tijuana 22504 MX

It is located right across the street from 7/11 on the main street by the  ocean and malecon.

-The main pro or con of this hotel is the location. Its located in Playas so of course no walking to the zona, but if you are looking for a relaxing place away from the zona this might be a good fit. Uber was very reliable and were at the hotel in between 3-4 mins. The average fare to the zona was around 80 pesos. 

Pros:

- The hotel is about 9 mos old, so everything is new. 

- Great shower, water pressure and hot water. 

-Very friendly and helpful staff

-Room with partial ocean view

-Ran $54 a night for King Size bed. 

-Restaurant on sight (food was just ok to me though, plenty of better places to eat in the neighborhood). 

-Underground parking. 

Cons:

- Cheap everything used to build the place, so if not maintained alot of things may be falling apart pretty soon. 

-My hotel overlooked Mariscos Colima which apparently is the spot for shitty karaoke every night. It was pretty loud although they did shut it down around 11pm ever night. 

-I don't know if they are chica friendly..

I would stay here again. 

20191003_115839.jpg.f84cfc3d9b30c3031e1e458e022dbd26.jpg20191002_171718.jpg.18cbc2d94904d18c85e0f665b1673d17.jpg20191001_190225.jpg.801986cc8bca4df0d73acc29343c9293.jpg

Views from my room. 

20191002_102441.jpg.600a87dc67390b25ebacbc2e0481e22c.jpg

20191002_101000.thumb.jpg.98eee0a0450c73c037954106c3e0b92a.jpg

Breakfast and the restaurant

20191001_162612.thumb.jpg.6ee05de347379f5d5bfe17c18b93eb1f.jpg20191001_162621.jpg.6cd244d038aa40f82667d2e9d16bbdca.jpg20191001_162544.jpg.d9fed6f8474d50108b357d5da0672910.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Carlafan
Posted (edited)

My buddy who died this year lived in those apts right next to Ruedo restaurant and 2 blocks down from Jatay. He literally saw it being built.

What does Jatay mean? Unusual name.

Edit: I found this on Youtube.

Edited by Carlafan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

QuietGuy

It looks nice enough. I suggested staying here a few months back and my gal shut me down. She wasn't interested in an overnight in Playas.

• Like 1

megustatj

@Gringo Sin Ropa thanks for the report!  Much appreciated.  I see that Los Arcos isn't too far away.  Have you eaten there?  If so, was it any good?  Also, what are some other good restaurants in the area.

• Like 1

Carlafan
Posted (edited)

@megustatj Ruedo Asador, a steak/chicken place; Vittorio's; and a sushi place are all down the block from Jatay. I know the malecon area but haven't eaten there.

Edited by Carlafan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Gringo Sin Ropa
29 minutes ago, megustatj said:

@Gringo Sin Ropa thanks for the report!  Much appreciated.  I see that Los Arcos isn't too far away.  Have you eaten there?  If so, was it any good?  Also, what are some other good restaurants in the area.

I have eaten at Los Arcos many times. It is one of my favorite restaurants in TJ. If you like mariscos I highly recommend it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agreed 1

megustatj
Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Gringo Sin Ropa said:

I have eaten at Los Arcos many times. It is one of my favorite restaurants in TJ. If you like mariscos I highly recommend it. 

Thanks for the info.  Also, I see from your comments in another thread that La Corriente is another great place as well. 

Is there a good lobster joint in TJ?  Villa Marina has it on the menu.  However, it's only 4 stars on yelp.

Edited by megustatj
  • Like 1

Gringo Sin Ropa
24 minutes ago, megustatj said:

Thanks for the info.  Also, I see from your comments in another thread that La Corriente is another great place as well. 

Is there a good lobster joint in TJ?  Villa Marina has it on the menu.  However, it's only 4 stars on ylobster

I don't know of any places that have good lobster in TJ, but you could always check out Puerto Nuevo for that since it's their specialty. 

La Corriente is my other favorite mariscos spot in TJ besides Los Arcos, its a great restaurant 👍.

I didn't think Villa Marina was all that great personality...

• Thanks 1
  • Agreed 1

Reuben

I'm not a fan of Villa Marina - boring overpriced menu for what you get.  It was probably a terrific place 30 years ago.

Los Arcos at Playas is a totally different experience from Los Arcos in TJ off Aguas Caliente.  The Playas one is very casual but the one in town is on the more formal side of things.  Lots of business people at lunch and lots of families dressed up celebrating events in the afternoon/evenings.  Take an Uber to the one in TJ as parking is difficult to find and their lot is always full.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sawgunner68

For years that building was in a very sad state of  disrepair. It literally looked like it would come crumbling down at any moment. Now it’s all rebuilt. I would not stay there.

Wheresteve

How did you get rooms at $54 a night ? I can't find prices close to those online anywhere. Where can we get those prices ? Thanks

Gringo Sin Ropa
4 minutes ago, Wheresteve said:

How did you get rooms at $54 a night ? I can't find prices close to those online anywhere. Where can we get those prices ? Thanks

I booked through hotels.com last week. The $54 dollar rate was for a Tues and Wednesday night.

• Thanks 1