Hero
Sign in to follow this  
Jefffffrey

Hotel Velario

Jefffffrey

It seems like there was quite a bit of information on old sites but nothing here.  Do people stay here anymore?  Were bed bugs issues resolved?  Positives and/or negatives?  

Reuben

Positives: fairly cheap, has AC (usually), has parking onsite, renovated within the past three or four years.

Negatives: dicey area to walk in (though if you're interested in Tranny Island, this is very nearby), most rooms do not have any "outside" ventilation (they're like the Cascadas rooms), doors are really thin, the staff I have encountered does not speak much English at all.

• Thanks 1

Sportsbar

Loved this place 3 years ago plus ,when they first did the remodel.

Now the staff sucks, the rooms are always dirty, it’s in a very dangerous area and although cheap it’s not worth all the headaches!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

invisibleman

I have stayed here many times. I liked the rooms. I liked the secure parking. They have a 24 hour guard. The freaks and the area didn't bother me much...I'm careful...I didn't like the one chica allowance and then you pay I think it was $10 for each additional chica. I was walking to my room once about two years ago and a military-looking dude dressed in black fatigues and carrying an AR-15-type rifle stepped out of a room ahead to leave...I think the military stays there...maybe it was just a dude and his gun... it freaked me out a bit... I hate to think the dude in the next room is going to be loading his AR-15!

• Like 2

smoothburnn

I've never stayed here, and have only visited friends that have stayed there.  The first thing that jumped out at me  was that the rooms I have seen and been in, did not have any windows.  Be it to open, or simply look out of.  Not that there would be anything of interest, value, or enjoyment to see even if there were windows, but no windows was the first negative I noticed for me.   My current permanent room at my hotel is a corner room with two windows.  Plus I'm several floors up, with a good vantage point  of the people, things happening on the street, and the surrounding  area.  And a good pair of binoculars enhances the window experience.   Some female visitors to my room are sometimes self-conscious about sitting at the window naked or partially  naked, and I have to remind them that the people on the street are not walking around looking up.  And some female visitors have no problem at all sitting naked at the window 9_9:D

• Like 1

Jefffffrey
7 hours ago, smoothburnn said:

I've never stayed here, and have only visited friends that have stayed there.  The first thing that jumped out at me  was that the rooms I have seen and been in, did not have any windows.  Be it to open, or simply look out of.  Not that there would be anything of interest, value, or enjoyment to see even if there were windows, but no windows was the first negative I noticed for me.   My current permanent room at my hotel is a corner room with two windows.  Plus I'm several floors up, with a good vantage point  of the people, things happening on the street, and the surrounding  area.  And a good pair of binoculars enhances the window experience.   Some female visitors to my room are sometimes self-conscious about sitting at the window naked or partially  naked, and I have to remind them that the people on the street are not walking around looking up.  And some female visitors have no problem at all sitting naked at the window 9_9:D

Where do you stay?

smoothburnn
17 minutes ago, Jefffffrey said:

Where do you stay?

I stay in the most Dangerous, Vile Hotel in the area.  But I take 100s of Precautions, and I don't mind the Danger, The  Surrounding Wickedness, or the Lack of Value.

• Agreed 1
  • Haha 1

tjlove

I stayed here for three days during Thanksgiving week. The hotel was clean, I like that they have a guard at the entrance to the parking lot. The room was clean. The staff at the front desk spoke good english and were not rude. 

I stayed there with a friend that comes to town every month or so. She liked the hotel as well. 

Usually about $35 per night, this week they charged $45 per night due to high demand.

I will continue to use the hotel. 

• Thanks 1

monkeyboy

Rooms are fairly nice (especially by TJ standards), the neighborhood is very sketchy.  I once saw a guy hitting his wife in the parking lot and had to get security to break it up (I wanted to intervene but never know if its some scam/setup to get shaken down).  

Gringo Sin Ropa
Posted (edited)

Hotel Velario is located at:

Calle Art 123 No. 7924 Zona Norte, Tijuana,

About a 3 min walk from the alley, up Ninos and right on 1st...

Well I'm thinking the reason why Velario didn't have a thread here is because it is well known to suck! :FU:

But, for anyone new and thinking about booking this place, and for anyone that thinks this place may have improved this may be helpful. 

So I booked this place just to check or out for myself as I was staying an extra and unexpected day in TJ....and because many times I read reviews about places online (hotels.com, TripAdvisor etc) and people say that places are totally shit and I end of up liking them :dunno:...not this place though :(

*The rooms have no windows, like Cascadas. The place feels very institutional, like a place someone would be required to stay at..say for running afoul of the law or held against their will for their own good LOL. But the really bad thing about no windows is ventilation. My rooms smelled very, VERY strongly of fungus or mold. I believe the mold was inside the air conditioner (it worked). For just one night I put up with it but I know regular exposure to mold can be a serious health risk. :yuk:

*Look at booking online and check the taxes and fees. They are from 2x to 4x higher than any other hotel in TJ I have checked. :bald_head:

* Its close to all the fun stuff in the zona but also known to be in a very dangerous part of the zona. I have heard quite a few stories about people getting robbed/chokedout /stomped out at night right in front of the hotel (posted in online hotel review forums too). Idk how dangerous it is as I have never walked there at night...but being that close to the action and not wanting to risk walking or having to take a  cab 2 blocks...kinda lame.

*rooms suck altogether. Black hand prints and weird stains everywhere. Shower sucks, slider was stuck, lukewarm water, low pressure. 

There were actually a couple good things though. Mesero at the little restaurant was really cool. Drinks and food were inexpensive. They made me a pizza which was really good! And actually all the staff were very friendly. The lounge area was peaceful too.

This place actually has potential...but it is very low on my list currently. 👎

Maybe other amigos have had different experiences?

20190809_172538.thumb.jpg.ed9043376a58deb36fc255154f3d3994.jpg

Outside area. There is parking and a guard. 20190809_160909.thumb.jpg.3e63876be41f8f05cbb51fe7e66e33c9.jpg

There are three tiers I believe xD

20190809_160531.thumb.jpg.afa22c8d1c0f7b19f4aaaa21727c90c2.jpg

20190809_160632.thumb.jpg.e2c5084f15eaeec30c4739804fbb7afb.jpg

20190810_115713.thumb.jpg.116b5285c01886ebc8341cfb7665b95e.jpg

Kids play area...bring the fam 🤣

20190809_160734.thumb.jpg.ae51a4ce0cdcde50d8a220a5e4435e4a.jpg

Rule 3..."no inmoral behavior" :bald_head::rofl1:

20190809_172730.thumb.jpg.0aa87fe43d6cb227c59d82178a7837eb.jpg

Classy...move over Caesars 😎

Edited by Gringo Sin Ropa
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

Carlafan

It seemed to get some good reviews on the Other Site, at first. Like when it opened. As time went on, it fell off. That is a real shady area. I wanted to check it out back then. Saw where it was..."eh, that's okay".

Yeah, no "immoral acts". Does the hotel know where it is? 

They used to have free or discounted passes to Tj Fitness. Dunno if it still happens or if guests even care. "Just had a 3sum at Cascadas and snorted blow off a hooker's ass...hey, those are trannies, huh? Hey-when in Tj...now I gotta go do my 5x5 deadlift routine". Oh sure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

KCQuestor
Posted (edited)

I'm surprised there aren't more clueless mongers finding themselves at this hotel. It comes up on the online booking sites and it looks very clean and modern from the pictures. It's very close to the action and looks like the perfect place to stay if you want to hang out in the bars but not stay at a brothel hotel. The only reason I've never stayed there is because I've read the boards and because I knew the area well enough to know that it was not a safe place to walk. It amazes me that more guys don't come here with their horror stories. Although I guess that if a guy knew to be on these boards, they probably wouldn't stay there anyway unless they were really adventurous! Thanks for the report, Gringo!

It has 500+ reviews on Hotels.com and a pretty good rating.

Edited by KCQuestor
  • Like 1

sampson
Posted (edited)

I find it weird that some guys that use it, do so regularly.  One guy from the old site lives there and I believe he has lived there for 4 years.  There are folks that are afraid to cross the border that will never come to Tijuana and there are folks that come and only want to stay in cheap hotels.  It should be a clue to some what kind of place it is as it is owned by the same people that own Adelitas.  I walk around that area once a year.  Dressed as Gringo Claus and in a group of friends.  Otherwise that area has no interest to me.

Edited by sampson
  • Like 1

Gringo Sin Ropa

I wanted to see if this place was as bad as people say it was or of it was an exaggeration. Once was enough I would not repeat lol...If I wanted to stay in the zona I would rather stay at cascadas or even leyva over this place. 

If not staying in the zona but wanting to be near to the zona Zaragoza and aqua rio are around the same price and much better options.

• Agreed 1

Jefffffrey
2 hours ago, KCQuestor said:

I'm surprised there aren't more clueless mongers finding themselves at this hotel. 

I stayed there once, haven't been back, but would say it is harsh to say "clueless" because it is relatively clean and has air conditioning.  I never felt threatened in that area.  The negative for me was not having a window.

• Like 1

Jefffffrey
5 minutes ago, Gringo Sin Ropa said:

I would rather stay at cascadas or even leyva over this place. 

If not staying in the zona but wanting to be near to the zona Zaragoza and aqua rio are around the same price and much better options.

I prefer leyva but not sure it would be preferable during the summer without air.

Villa Zaragoza seems to be getting significantly more expensive.  It was $40 a few years ago, now $50 or $60, but no doubt a much nicer place to stay.

• Like 1

KCQuestor
3 hours ago, Jefffffrey said:

I stayed there once, haven't been back, but would say it is harsh to say "clueless" because it is relatively clean and has air conditioning.  I never felt threatened in that area.  The negative for me was not having a window.

You are right that "clueless" wasn't the right term. I didn't mean it harshly. I meant that there are a lot of guys who want to visit Tijuana but don't know that sites like this exist so they go online and look for a hotel near the action. The only real negative to me is the area. I have no problem walking there during the day, but I'd be nervous at night. I'd probably pay $5 for a cab just for the two blocks.

• Like 1
  • Agreed 1

Gringo Sin Ropa

The biggest negative for me was the very strong scent of mold/fungus that was coming out of the air conditioner. With no windows and it being summer the AC was the only option for cooling off. 

I don't know all that much about mold but I am sure having it blown in at your face all night can't be a good thing. Maybe it was just my room?

• Like 2
  • Agreed 1

Haus
17 minutes ago, Gringo Sin Ropa said:

I don't know all that much about mold but I am sure having it blown in at your face all night can't be a good thing.

...you're right, after licking chicas asses in HK, the last thing I want is mold in a room.         

• Agreed 1
  • Haha 3
  • Yum 1

Gringo Sin Ropa
2 minutes ago, Haus said:

...you're right, after licking chicas asses in HK, the last thing I want is mold in a room.         

Right...lol...well I'm sure it's far from being the biggest hazard in the zona...but definitely made the room uncomfortable and added to the list of things that make the Velario a poor choice for me...

• Like 1
  • Agreed 1

tomjackin
1 hour ago, Haus said:

:crying::crying::crying:

• Agreed 1

soulcal
5 hours ago, Jefffffrey said:

I prefer leyva but not sure it would be preferable during the summer without air.

Villa Zaragoza seems to be getting significantly more expensive.  It was $40 a few years ago, now $50 or $60, but no doubt a much nicer place to stay.

Had years of experience at El Leyva, mostly positive until it was not.  Victor, desk guy is a fucking prick,  young Mexican cleaning guy, depends but always good to me.  They all seize opportunities when presented. Es Mexico, sadly.

• Agreed 1

tapadopower

This place really sucks.  The desk person and manager are both idiots.  It is illegal to make photo copies of your driver's license when you stay in a hotel in Tijuana.  They tried this shit with me did not like it.  When I refused they refused me service for a paid room.  I took my looses and walk away.  I wish I can see the manager in the street again.  Avoid this place at all cost.

1.  No hot water.

2. Noise as fucked.

3. Bad walking area at night.

4.Terrible service.

5. They denied service and claim no show to booking agency.

6.Fuck the little piece of shit manager.

• Haha 1

PhordPhan
On 8/11/2019 at 6:13 PM, soulcal said:

They all seize opportunities when presented. Es Mexico, sadly.

No es Mexico. Es La Zona Norte. Una diferencia muy grande. No he tuve nada de los problemas con hoteles y los gerentes afuera la Zona. 

PhordPhan
11 minutes ago, tapadopower said:

It is illegal to make photo copies of your driver's license when you stay in a hotel in Tijuana. 

Are you sure about this? I've stayed in lots of hotels in TJ, all of them outside the ZN. Several have taken photocopies of my DL, including Ticuan IIRC. Hotels do have some obligation to record furriners staying on the premises. This seems like an easier solution in a border town than to insist on a passport.

• Like 3