Hero
Sign in to follow this  
Balto1

Pesos Vs Dollares

Balto1

I usually use pesos in the zone is this better than using dollares? And dealing with the ladies is it best to use pesos instead of dollares?

dditizeni

I always used to use pesos when the exchange was, oh, 13 to 1.  Girls wouldn't do the math, falling back on 10 to 1.  Good times!  But as the number went up, that went away.  Now it seems like you do better with dollars a lot of the time, depending on the exchange rate.  Unless you're doing TJ visits constantly, the amount you save either way doesn't add up to much, and isn't worth worrying about.  If you were running a multinational corporation with billions of transactions, it would add up to a chunk of change.  But if you save $12 over the weekend, well, wow, an extra drink and a tip!  I'm lazy, I don't want to bother standing in line at a cambio, and changing back afterwards.  But then I'm not a full time denizen of La Zona.

• Like 1
  • Agreed 1

KCQuestor
1 hour ago, dditizeni said:

I always used to use pesos when the exchange was, oh, 13 to 1.  Girls wouldn't do the math, falling back on 10 to 1.  Good times!  

100%. It was fantastic when girls would quote $60 or 600 pesos ($45). But now with the exchange rate at 18-19, girls default to a 20:1 conversion for simplicity. And now they are asking $80 or 1600 ($85).

Unless you're doing TJ visits constantly, the amount you save either way doesn't add up to much, and isn't worth worrying about.

Going with dollars is just easier 90% of the time. I do still convert some dollars to pesos for when I am away from the Zona or Revo. I tried to use dollars at a pharmacy in Zona Centro once and they tried to use a 17:1 ratio (cambios were giving 18.5). I paid in pesos, but it only saved me about $2 so it still wasn't a big deal if I had paid in dollars. 

But within the touristy areas, people just assume dollars. I've had girls convert from pesos to dollars to see if they wanted to take my offer.

Edited by KCQuestor

Carlafan

Depends on how familiar you are with the ladies. Basically, I round off the value as much as I can. I know what activity and/or length of time costs, or rather I tell them how much it costs. (This is one big reason why I have my 3 chica rotation; we all know each other, what we do, what we like, how much it costs, etc. You always have to break in newbies and I don't like that now) I bust out my abacus and slide ruler...j/k. I give them dollars.

I've never had a "you owe me more" moment with dollars. I've had that with pesos.

As Haus says, math is hard.

Edited by Carlafan
  • Like 1

PhordPhan

I never use dollars. Never. Nope. Usually don't even have any on me except for a few small bills sometimes. I figure I've saved a ton over the years. Sometimes you come out on the wrong end, most of the times not. Side benefit is that it gets you used to using them. Get outside of Baja, away from the border, and dollar use drops dramatically. Like to zero. If you're used to using them, you tend not to grind your mental gears switching from one currency to the next.

To paraphrase JFK: Why do I choose to use pesos? Why does Rice play Texas? I choose to use pesos, not because it is easy, but because it is hard. :coverlaugh::coverlaugh:

• Like 2
  • Agreed 1

Bubby

I'm like PhordPhan.

I rarely have dollars on me in Mexico.

On my rare trips to the Zona, I'll have some 5's and 1's but that's about it.

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this