Hero
Sign in to follow this  
Jefffffrey

Recommendation

Jefffffrey

Any recommendations for best last minute hotels in Centro?  Somewhat near north end of revolucion?  Not sure if there are better options than Cascaidas or Rizo.

fotofreak

Hotel Espana on Revo has decent enough reviews, though I've not stayed there.  It is recommended by a few friends.  Espana has no website nor online booking as far as I know.

Also, Be My Hotel (which is the stupidest name for a hotel) is nearby and looks really hip-modern.... but its location is dicey in the evenings.  I would highly recommend cabbing in and out if you want to stay there. https://en.bmyhotel.com/

Valerio is also nearby on Primera and is recently renovated. https://www.zonaturistica.com/en/hotel/25168/velario-tijuana.html

• Like 2

Don Pisto
20 minutes ago, fotofreak said:

Hotel Espana on Revo has decent enough reviews, though I've not stayed there.  It is recommended by a few friends.  Espana has no website nor online booking as far as I know.

Also, Be My Hotel (which is the stupidest name for a hotel) is nearby and looks really hip-modern.... but its location is dicey in the evenings.  I would highly recommend cabbing in and out if you want to stay there. https://en.bmyhotel.com/

Valerio is also nearby on Primera and is recently renovated. https://www.zonaturistica.com/en/hotel/25168/velario-tijuana.html

I've stayed at Hotel Espana many moons ago, and it was nice, clean, well located. However, as I recall it was noisey--due to the activites 24/7 on Av. Rev., maybe things have changed, or atleast ask for a room far away from the Main Street--Av. Revo.

VIVA MEXICO!

• Like 1

Dinki-di
25 minutes ago, fotofreak said:

Velario is cheaper (at least it used to be) and definitely a good value. I used to always recommend friends to it. But about 1-1.5 years ago there was report of bed bugs by one poster and that has made me leery of using Velario anymore. I hope the fixed and eradicated the pests but they are very hard to get rid of.

also with Velario, you’ll probably end up walking to the Zona and back, be smart on avoiding being choked out or mugged. I always walk in the middle of the street (avoid cars) and am aware of my surroundings. Mexican muggers want to rely on surprise, and even 3 on 1, they’re hesitant to challenge you if you look prepared (and not drunk). Though desperation  could invigorate their boldness.

Ive stayed at Be My Hotel. Reasonable cost (I want to say it was ~$50/night when I last used them). Clean but a very spartan minimalist modern style to their decor. Very clean when I stayed because no one hardly used them. Very few staff. But quiet and comfortable enough. Yes, Uber in and out. Sketchy neighborhood and few people walking around nearby. 

• Like 2

sampson

The only hotel on the North end of rev I believe is Hotel Nelson which I don't think is very nice. 

• Like 1

Jefffffrey

Be my hotel looks nice on the website.  Is it better than Villa Zaragoza (I know Zaragoza isn't on the north end)?

fotofreak
9 hours ago, Jefffffrey said:

Be my hotel looks nice on the website.  Is it better than Villa Zaragoza (I know Zaragoza isn't on the north end)?

It's certainly way newer than Zaragoza.  And a few Amigos were choked out (or almost so) across the street from Zaragoza about three or four months ago --- these were savvy, Tijuana regulars that this happened to.... so you'd be smart to cab in and out of either location.

sampson

Be My Hotel is an old hotel which changed name a couple of years ago.

Jefffffrey
8 hours ago, fotofreak said:

It's certainly way newer than Zaragoza.  And a few Amigos were choked out (or almost so) across the street from Zaragoza about three or four months ago --- these were savvy, Tijuana regulars that this happened to.... so you'd be smart to cab in and out of either location.

What does choked out mean?  Sorry if that is a stupid question.

sampson
7 minutes ago, Jefffffrey said:

That is when you are taken by surprised from behind and unable to breathe.  The perp chokes you until you pass out.

Jefffffrey
4 minutes ago, mrsports said:

That is when you are taken by surprised from behind and unable to breathe.  The perp chokes you until you pass out.

I guess it was a stupid question then.  I always feel safe around Zaragoza.  Was it the street between Txi Jai and 7-11?  Hard for me to imagine that happening.

sampson

In happens often on Madero and the rateros thrive off of people that feel secure. If you are using your cell phone while walking on Madero you are likely to be attacked.

• Thanks 1

Bubby
21 minutes ago, Jefffffrey said:

Image result for standing rear naked choke

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Dinki-di
10 hours ago, mrsports said:

Be My Hotel is an old hotel which changed name a couple of years ago.

Yes it’s an old motel, but the remodel was pretty good at least for the room I had, and the lobby. But you might feel like you’re staying in an IKEA

• Haha 1

fotofreak
46 minutes ago, Dinki-di said:

But you might feel like you’re staying in an IKEA

I got that same vibe when looking at their site!

• Agreed 1

BearBare

I never walk comfortably on Madero.  I grab it around Coahulia and walk south to go to some stores near 5th and Negrete. However, fuck the head on a swivel, Im ready to throw the whole way.  Granted nothing ever happens, and Ive never been trailed, but..... rest assured any military aged male on the street is100% on my radar. 

That said, 2 weeks ago the girl ratero crew was out, normal spot across from Playboy.... yes same spot their homeboy got shot..  never will fix stupid. Also, dont be comfortable any where as a tourist.  TJ,Germany, Belgium, at the mall... pay attention. 

PhordPhan

I've stayed at B My Hotel many times. The décor is minimalist, but I love their beds, which are very, very firm. The staff is always nice. Breakfast is included with the room, but, and I don't know how this is possible in a food paradise like TJ, it is dreadful. Some of the worst food I've eaten. So, I always skip it.

The area isn't as sketchy as it seems. It's just rather industrial. But there is a taco stand across the street that's open until late. I've walked to 6th street at night from there. It's only about 4 blocks. These days I just Uber, but mostly due to laziness. It helps that the Uber drivers know where it is, now. In the early days they had no idea. There is a learning curve to getting into the parking lot.

• Like 3

Batman
On 4/24/2018 at 1:15 PM, Jefffffrey said:

Is it safe to walk from Be my hotel to Revo and Revo to there around midnight?

Bubby
7 minutes ago, Batman said:

Maybe I'm just a pussy, but I wouldn't do it.

Rateros are half your problem. The policia are the other half.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

sampson
8 minutes ago, Batman said:

Probably nothing would happen, but for the life of me I don't know why you would want to.

• Like 3
  • Agreed 1

Jefffffrey
1 hour ago, Batman said:

During the day it is industrial most of the way and never had any problem.  At night there weren't many people.  I would Uber for $2 and give the guy a top.

• Like 1

Puro Naco

I walk it during the day all the time but probably 9pm would be my cut off time and that's being generous. Besides rateros you would need to be conscious of stray dogs.

• Like 5

tomjackin
2 hours ago, Jefffffrey said:

I would Uber for $2 and give the guy a top.

Maybe he prefers a bottom??? :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

fotofreak
7 hours ago, Batman said:

6 hours ago, Jefffffrey said:

During the day it is industrial most of the way and never had any problem.  At night there weren't many people.  I would Uber for $2 and give the guy a top.

I wouldn't say it's industrial as in factories but rather car repair shops, upholsterers, body repair - mom 'n pop places.  But they tend to close down in the evening and it is rather deserted as everyone else has alluded to.  And @Puro Naco brings up a good point about the stray dogs over there - it seems there are quite a few of them. 

@Jefffffrey has the right idea of taking an Uber (or just take a taxi) at that hour.  The potential for problems isn't worth saving three or five bucks. Or just stay at Espana or something up else on Revo. :) 

• Like 3

Puro Naco

There is a new hotel I reviewed on TJA before it closed. Located on Calle 6 right of of Negrete or Madero I can't remember. That would put you in a similar area but much closer to civilization. You may want to check it out. Forgot the name but easy to find on foot.