Hero
todd8208

Villa de Zaragoza

todd8208

Spoke w/ Ray(or Roy) Nelson who owns hotel concerning room remodeling.  He was running rough house on the remodeling crew(s).  Typical Cal Trans set up( 8 guys & only 1 working & owner walking around trying to get the other 7 busy).  Eventually he stressed to me that he is planning to renovate every room but the progression is very slow & frustrating due to worker morale is very poor.   

• Like 4

fotofreak

I wonder if he's of the Nelson family from the Hotel Nelson. :bald_head:

sampson
6 minutes ago, fotofreak said:

I read that at is from a poster on an old site.

Don Pisto
On 4/20/2018 at 11:02 AM, fotofreak said:

I believe he is, but He informed me that it was all separate family entity--maybe a family falling out or squabble situation.

Anyway, I didn't want to pursue it, since he didn't seem to want to discuss any further details. Maybe a "sore" subject. Whatever.

VIVA MEXICO!

• Like 2

Batman

I heard they are now charging $70 for this place.  Is that true?

sampson
Just now, Batman said:

That has been going on for 15 years as best as I  know.  They advertise less expensive room but often say those are sold out and they only have the $70 rooms. 

Batman
2 minutes ago, sampson said:

That has been going on for 15 years as best as I  know.  They advertise less expensive room but often say those are sold out and they only have the $70 rooms. 

That's crazy, might as well stay at Ticuan for that price.  

sampson
16 minutes ago, Batman said:

That's crazy, might as well stay at Ticuan for that price.  

I think making a reservation can guarantee you a better price.

Don Pisto

I have been staying at this hotel almost every weekend for the past 2 years and I only pay $53.00 usd per night, total including all taxes, etc.

I always make a reservation through the Hotel's website ahead of time, requesting the lowest rate room for one person.

I won't stay in the remodeled rooms at $70.00 usd, no need to, since the older rooms, IMHO, are just fine for me.

They are big, comfortable and the rooms in the rear of the hotel are quiet/relaxing. Plus you can park your vehicle close to your room!

They have cameras throughout the entire complex, evening security guard on site, and the Hotel has a safe!

My chicas love visiting me here as well.

PM me if you have any questions!

VIVA MEXICO!!

Edited by Don Pisto
  • Like 3

Jefffffrey
10 hours ago, Batman said:

That is why I stayed at Aqua Rio last time.  In all fairness my last visit was spur of the moment.

Jefffffrey

One thing I found out the hard way about this hotel.  If you are a gringo they will stereotype you and automatically assume you want to pay in dollars at a crappy exchange rate.  Assuming you have a credit card with no international exchange fee (or even if the fee is 1%), you must tell them you are paying in pesos and it will be $5 or $6 lower.  It pisses me off. 

• Like 2
  • Agreed 2

TJDah

Does anyone know if this place lets you rent by the month?

Reuben
33 minutes ago, TJDah said:

Does anyone know if this place lets you rent by the month?

They do but I don't think you'll save that much by doing a monthly rate there.

• Thanks 1

Don Pisto
21 hours ago, Jefffffrey said:

One thing I found out the hard way about this hotel.  If you are a gringo they will stereotype you and automatically assume you want to pay in dollars at a crappy exchange rate.  Assuming you have a credit card with no international exchange fee (or even if the fee is 1%), you must tell them you are paying in pesos and it will be $5 or $6 lower.  It pisses me off. 

I always tell them to bill me in pesos...it does save a few bucks!!

You just need to gently (HA) remind them each time PRIOR to paying.

VIVA MEXICO!!

• Like 1
  • Agreed 1

TJDah
10 hours ago, Reuben said:

They do but I don't think you'll save that much by doing a monthly rate there.

thanks @Reuben, i was mostly asking because due to my work schedule im either gona check in on a friday or saturday night and ever since walking into HDS 2 years ago on a saturday night to find out they were completely sold out im always afraid this will happen when i show up to any hotel lol I know they accept online reservations but idk how i feel bout giving them my home address which i believe is required to reserve a room through their site lol but apparently @Don Pisto does it without issue so i guess i'll have to consider it

fotofreak

@TJDah They are solid in reputation. I would use a credit card instead of a debit card but that's my MO for all hotel reservations, not just in TJ. 

• Like 1

TJDah
2 hours ago, fotofreak said:

@TJDah They are solid in reputation. I would use a credit card instead of a debit card but that's my MO for all hotel reservations, not just in TJ. 

Thanks @fotofreak

• Like 2

Gringo Sin Ropa
On 10/5/2018 at 4:05 AM, Don Pisto said:

They are big, comfortable and the rooms in the rear of the hotel are quiet/relaxing. Plus you can park your vehicle close to your room!

They have cameras throughout the entire complex, evening security guard on site, and the Hotel has a safe. 

@Don Pisto is there a safe in the room? Also how safe is the parking lot to park a car overnight? It seems pretty safe as they have a security guard. 

fotofreak

@Gringo Sin Ropa - I can't remember if there are safes in the room but the parking is safe as they have a roving security guard in the lot all night.  Get a PacSafe TravelSafe for yourself - https://amzn.to/2RzcZLN - lock it underneath the sink.

They keep a close eye on who is on the property in general.

• Thanks 1

Gringo Sin Ropa

Great! This sounds like a really good place to stay.  I have one of those pacsafes actually. The exact same model but I havent had the chance to use it yet. 

• Like 1

el_cochino55
Posted (edited)
On 4/20/2018 at 11:02 AM, fotofreak said:

His name is actually Rey, and he and his sister run the place.  He is of that Nelson family.

Also a little over ten years ago they had a problem with credit cards.  Rey fired the guy, and as far as I know the problem went away.  Rey is a hands on manager, and he's quite informative if you talk to him.

Edited by el_cochino55
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

el_cochino55
6 hours ago, fotofreak said:

@Gringo Sin Ropa - I can't remember if there are safes in the room but the parking is safe as they have a roving security guard in the lot all night.  Get a PacSafe TravelSafe for yourself - https://amzn.to/2RzcZLN - lock it underneath the sink.

They keep a close eye on who is on the property in general.

About ten years ago I had my car stolen from their parking lot.  It was parked closes to the ice machine in the front section.  Turned out to be the only spot that video tape didn't cover.  At the time it appeared to be an inside job, and I've parked quite a bit since then there.  I just always get the spots to park next to the office..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Don Pisto

I have been parking my Honda Pilot closest to the ice-machine, almost each weekend for the last 2 years without any incident!

They have cameras, and on-site security guard, etc.

I use my credit card all the time--again, never an issue!!

PM me if you have any questions.

VIVA MEXICO!!

• Like 1

Erip

This was my home away from home for many years until Ticuan was opened and the owner there made me an offer I couldn't refuse and I started having "complications" with one chica who was working at La Villa.  I will still shill for La Villa which I thought was fantastic value and the staff and owners treated me royally and like a member of the Nelson family.  I consider all of them - the office staff, the maintenance men, housekeepers and owners as genuine personal friends and we have all seen each other age :faint:.  I will likely start staying there again from time to time since I'm now clear of the chica complication.

The higher price rooms are in a separate building at the back (east) end of the property.  They are mini-suites with kitchenettes and some other amenities not available in the basic rooms.  The old rooms were in need of remodeling on their shoddy worn looks alone, but everything always worked and no hazards to worry about.  They also have mid-price rooms in a secluded "garden area".  Kind of nice and peaceful, larger rooms and bathrooms but you won't see your car outside your window.  One warning about these garden rooms.  Some of them have interconnecting doors to the next room which may as well be open portals between the rooms - for sound anyway.  You will hear every movement, word, moan, slurp and heave coming from the connected room as if the sounds originated in your own room - and vice versa.  I remember one time that was fun!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1