Hero
Reuben

Spanish phrases and sayings

Don Pisto
2 minutes ago, Izaya said:

What's a sapo? :bald_head:

I know it literally means frog, but I don't understand the slang? 

A parrot or cotorra talks a lot, but a frog just sits on his pad and doesn't do shit. :dunno:

According to one chica, it's similar to being called a "loser". Versus a "Prince" someone who is a "winner". When she gets upset with me I'm a "Sapo" but when all is ok between us I'm a "Prince".....Go figure!!

VIVA MEXICO!

Edited by Don Pisto
  • Like 3

Trike
4 minutes ago, Izaya said:

What's a sapo? :bald_head:

Street talk...........Sapo = Snitch.......

but has several meanings.......mainly..........toad...........

• Like 3

PhordPhan

And, sometimes, it just means frog. :coverlaugh: Well, to be pedantic, I think sapo is usually used for toad, and rana for a small(er) frog. 

Rocky the Flying Squirrel likes to send me a little kids' tune on my Birthday. To the tune of "Happy Birthday to You." Sapo verde eres tu. Sapo verde eres tu. Sapo verde, sapo verdeeeeeee, sapo verde eres tuuuuuu.

:crying:

Edited by PhordPhan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jefffffrey
17 hours ago, hunter16 said:

Just a quick tip for speaking/reading Spanish fluidly that I found useful. When pronouncing words, the syllables are all separated by the vowels and the sound of the actual vowel doesn't change like in English.

a "ah"

e "eh"

i "e"

o "oh"

u "ou"

I don't speak Spanish fluently but this is what I picked up from taking classes. Please correct me if I am wrong. You'll sound less like a gringo using this.

You are correct.  There is one caveat. What you wrote only applies to a single vowel between consonants. Some vowel combinations have their own sounds ('ui' as an example).  Otherwise our favorate street name would sound different

• Like 1

Bubby
2 hours ago, Trike said:

Street talk...........Sapo = Snitch.......

but has several meanings.......mainly..........toad...........

Yes, I always thought “toad”.

I call my novia Sra Sapo because of the way she drives. I showed her a YouTube video of Mr. Toads Wild Ride so she would know what I was talking about.

• Like 3